the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Expectations
Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 pm  

User avatarBIRDIEMAN wrote:
BIRDIEMAN User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for 3 years
As we have been told this coming season we are going with a skinnier squad. We have signed "SID" from London broncos who i hope comes good. At the last evening with it was put to MC that we need another experienced prop e.g (Akauola) for instance who has recently gone to
Salford . As we have still an overseas quota spot I would have thought this would have been our priority. Have the club someone in mind and is so let supporters know to boost season ticket sales.
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:22 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
BIRDIEMAN wrote:
As we have been told this coming season we are going with a skinnier squad. We have signed "SID" from London broncos who i hope comes good. At the last evening with it was put to MC that we need another experienced prop e.g (Akauola) for instance who has recently gone to
Salford . As we have still an overseas quota spot I would have thought this would have been our priority. Have the club someone in mind and is so let supporters know to boost season ticket sales.

I never really get this point, are you suggesting there are players out there that we could afford who'd actually boost season ticket sales, seriously? I don't I'm afraid.

I agree we need a prop and we have an overseas spot free but that will never get the type of player you're on about, in fact, I'm not sure those sorts of players even exist today. Even the names of the current Aussie test players are a mystery to most these days, ditto domestic players.

We could still be in with a shout for Andrew Fifita but I don't believe he'd earn us one extra ST sale, well not this year. He may do next year if he helps drive us on to a spectacular season but I don't think that's what you mean.

I see one or two more signings, one being a quota player, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see them very late pre-season or after the season starts.
Last edited by vastman on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 pm  

Wildcat26 wrote:
Wildcat26 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 10 years
vastman wrote:
I never get this point, are you seriously suggesting there are players out there that we could afford who'd actually boost season ticket sales, seriously?

I agree we need a prop and we have an overseas spot free but that will never get the type of player you're on about, in fact, I'm not sure those sorts of players even exist today. Even the names of Aussie test players are a mystery to most these days, ditto domestic players.

We could still be in with a shout for Andrew Fifita but I don't believe he'd earn us one extra ST sale, well not this year. He may do next year if he helps drive us on to a spectacular season but I don't think that's what you mean.

I see one or two more signings, one being a quota player, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see them very late pre-season or after the season starts.

In my opinion signings can boost season ticket sales, yes. It`s the team that`s taking the field at the end of the day, if you have 3 or 4 really quality signings in the off season that on paper makes us a more competitive team you will get some people that are sitting on the fence and would be swayed by that.
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:12 pm  
bellycouldtackle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 16 years
Confident that Willie can see the areas we need to strengthen. Got to think top of his list will be trying to get Rocky signed up, trying to replace Arundel and trying to get another prop.
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:40 pm  

vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Wildcat26 wrote:
In my opinion signings can boost season ticket sales, yes. It`s the team that`s taking the field at the end of the day, if you have 3 or 4 really quality signings in the off season that on paper makes us a more competitive team you will get some people that are sitting on the fence and would be swayed by that.

Well, go on the I'll call you on that.

Name an available player that is within our much-reduced budget that would sell season tickets.

I'll go further, I can't name a player who we couldn't afford who'd do that. There are no Martin Offiah type players out there at the moment who have that star quality bums on seats reputation.

The only way I can see that working is if we signed a raft of top players, but we've already done that with Hood, Lineham and Gaskill who are not exactly unknown but that doesn't seem to have registered.

If those three have not got people reasonably excited then I'm not sure who will, again I'm referring to realistic targets.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:41 pm  

vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
bellycouldtackle wrote:
Confident that Willie can see the areas we need to strengthen. Got to think top of his list will be trying to get Rocky signed up, trying to replace Arundel and trying to get another prop.

I'd go prop first, then Hampshire then Arundel, I base the last on Bill making a full recovery.

I also have a feeling that WP may have the ear of a few more payers than perhaps CC did. I don't base that on any knowledge just that he's been around a bit more, most notably at Leeds and Warrington and of course with his down under connections if he still has some. :PRAY:
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:57 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 8 years
How many season tickets have we so far sold ?
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 pm  

vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:

Don't know, my guess would be very similar to the last non-covid pre-season, and I'm almost certain it's not as many as we really need.

I will actually ask for you but I can't guarantee an answer, I hope you do actually realise my alleged best mate status with MC and JM is a joke, I've met them once, about a year ago. Seemed like nice guys.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm  
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 19 years
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:

Have you bought one yet?
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years"

Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance

2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son.

2020 - Keeping the faith.
Re: Expectations Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm  
Scarlet Pimpernell Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 8 years
No but it is a pertinent question because for example if we have only sold about 400 then a signing would assist the numbers but if we have sold a 1000 then it is not so urgent don’t you think.
Next