WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Interview with TJ

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Interview with TJ

Interview with TJ Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:53 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

The guys who did the Kirmond pod cast have launched the one on Tom today.

TOM JOHNSTONE INTERVIEW

ON APPLE PODCAST & SPOTIFY

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/3 ... ef3a2d67ec

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4yP2cA ... xxyF1B6KbQ

It is 2021 and the 3 Blokes are back!

New year but same old three blokes and they are starting of Season 2 with a huge guest in Wakefield Trinity and England winger - Tom Johnstone! In a very honest and open interview.

Tom tells Jamie, Jed and Joss about:

- His beginnings in Rugby League

- Coming through the youth academy at Wakefield Trinity

- Other offers he had during the early part of his career

- Not one...but TWO devastating ACL injuries

- His England debut and some harsh words from Wayne Bennett

and MUCH MUCH MORE!
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Interview with TJ Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm  

musson wrote:
musson Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Great stuff pt

Will enjoy listening to that

I listened to there Danny Kirmond podcast last year and found it enjoyable

For any one else that listens to podcasts especially rl one

The Matty John’s one is easily the best
He normally starts them on rl a week or two before season start
Re: Interview with TJ Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 pm  

musson wrote:
musson Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Great stuff pt

Will enjoy listening to that

I listened to there Danny Kirmond podcast last year and found it enjoyable

For any one else that listens to podcasts especially rl ones

The Matty John’s one is easily the best
He normally starts them on rl a week or two before season start
Re: Interview with TJ Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:56 pm  

wakeytrin wrote:
wakeytrin Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Really enjoyed listening to Tom.
Wakefields roller coaster ride continues.
Re: Interview with TJ Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 am  

User avatarFordy wrote:
Fordy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Sounds like although I didn't think Bennett was great for the National team that his advice to Tom has given us a much more dedicated and committed player.
Great to hear Tom admit he has made mistakes but is now trying his best to iron those out and make himself the best player he can possibly be.
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - The PRIDE of Sporting Wakefield

THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS
Re: Interview with TJ Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm  

1873 wrote:
1873 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

PopTart wrote:
SNIP
TOM JOHNSTONE INTERVIEW

New year but same old three blokes and they are starting of Season 2 with a huge guest in Wakefield Trinity and England winger - Tom Johnstone! In a very honest and open interview.

Thanks for the link, just listened on my government sanctioned walk. Eye opening and informative, putting some flesh on the bones of some stories.
Only odd circumstances meant we got him and then retained him, good job he holds a grudge!!
Re: Interview with TJ Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:19 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Just listened to it.

No surprise whatsoever, exactly how I expected him to be. I liked him the very first time I saw him play in a friendly at Leeds, there was just something about him and the way he played and I've backed him from that moment and never felt any doubts since. The only other player I felt like that about was Ellis. Ellis by the way is a better player, I think forwards have to be but Toms so much more of an entertainer.

He always comes across as a really nice lad with a self-deprecating sense of humour but underneath there is a real steely determination and real intelligence, not Stephen Hawkins obviously but bright enough. Other players may be tougher, stronger or even faster but many lack the one thing Tom has in abundance, a willingness to learn from his mistakes. A lot of players even some really good ones don't have that, Tom is a good player because he wants to be and not because he was given some freakish collection of physical and mental qualities that happen to lend themselves to RL. That's a fantastic quality in anybody, not just an RL player.

I really hope his career luck changes, he's owed it as much as it's possible for anyone to be owed it. Whilst in general I wish him happiness like I wish most people happiness in their private lives.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Interview with TJ Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Good podcast, as above I thought Tom came across very well and was refreshingly honest actually when it comes to the Leeds rejection etc.

I found the Lomax bit interesting where he talked about how much work he was putting in, I spoke with a player a couple of years ago that has played both at Wigan and Wakefield and he spoke about the main differences outside of facilities was the standard expected in terms of processes when it came to individuals outside of team training and what was expected from them from the top to the bottom of the organisation. Not just in terms of fitness but diet and lifestyle.

I watched an interview with a player not so long back I think it may have been George Williams and he was talking about the Wigan club and the behaviour instilled into there players, there was a story about him been dropped for throwing a bottle on the floor of a coach or something, can`t remember exactly but it makes a lot of sense and he went onto saying when players turned up in a international camp the coach could tell straight away they had come from the Wigan club, I imagine it is the same at Saints. Less a dig at our club, I think as it seems Saints and Wigan are the exception in here and it pays off for them in terms of success.

Obviously that is only an element of it and a lot of that has to come down to the individual themselves.
Re: Interview with TJ Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:36 pm  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

homme vaste wrote:
Good podcast, as above I thought Tom came across very well and was refreshingly honest actually when it comes to the Leeds rejection etc.

I found the Lomax bit interesting where he talked about how much work he was putting in, I spoke with a player a couple of years ago that has played both at Wigan and Wakefield and he spoke about the main differences outside of facilities was the standard expected in terms of processes when it came to individuals outside of team training and what was expected from them from the top to the bottom of the organisation. Not just in terms of fitness but diet and lifestyle.

I watched an interview with a player not so long back I think it may have been George Williams and he was talking about the Wigan club and the behaviour instilled into there players, there was a story about him been dropped for throwing a bottle on the floor of a coach or something, can`t remember exactly but it makes a lot of sense and he went onto saying when players turned up in a international camp the coach could tell straight away they had come from the Wigan club, I imagine it is the same at Saints. Less a dig at our club, I think as it seems Saints and Wigan are the exception in here and it pays off for them in terms of success.

Obviously that is only an element of it and a lot of that has to come down to the individual themselves.

I personally believe that penny for penny Trinity are the most professional club in the league. Problem is we have so many less pennies than most. Facilities count for so much where training and preparation are concerned.

Wakefield currently run a reasonably credible SL club from facilities that frankly struggle to match those of amateur clubs like Lock Lane or Staningley! It’s totally implausible that we have stayed in SL for 20 years but we have.

In that time clubs like Hull, Saints, Warrington etc have been catapulted into the 21st century facility wise, we’ve stood still at best.

Say what you like about Ted, MC and even Glover they and some brilliant players and coaches have kept us in SL against all the odds. Amazes me at times.
SUPPORT SWAG...