WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 4G Pitch.
4G Pitch. Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 pm  

TrinTrin wrote:
TrinTrin Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm
Posts: 646
Let me just state, I am thrilled about the developement, however, not a liker of plastic pitches, they do wear & discolour, they do
Have to be replaced, that is a significant cost when replacement is required !!!
However, we know the advantages, especially no costs of watering, feeding, re-seeding, rolling etc,
Also, I am not so keen to loose history , but things move on, etc, etc.
We will have to hope our players adapt well on proper turf when used to plastic & different studs + judgement ???
Re: 4G Pitch. Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:21 pm  

Big lads mate Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Posts: 5268
TrinTrin wrote:
Let me just state, I am thrilled about the developement, however, not a liker of plastic pitches, they do wear & discolour, they do
Have to be replaced, that is a significant cost when replacement is required !!!
However, we know the advantages, especially no costs of watering, feeding, re-seeding, rolling etc,
Also, I am not so keen to loose history , but things move on, etc, etc.
We will have to hope our players adapt well on proper turf when used to plastic & different studs + judgement ???

I have never liked these pitches but I’m an old timer and things move on, but I once spoke to Jordan after a Widnes game regarding the pitch and was taken back when he said he preferred it so what do I know :roll:
Re: 4G Pitch. Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 pm  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Tomorrowland
Big lads mate wrote:
I have never liked these pitches but I’m an old timer and things move on, but I once spoke to Jordan after a Widnes game regarding the pitch and was taken back when he said he preferred it so what do I know :roll:


Out with the old, in with the new old boy, if it was up to your lot we would still be watching 3 channels in black and white :D
Re: 4G Pitch. Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 pm  
Dunkirk Spirit User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am
Posts: 1031
Location: Horbury, a small town in Wakefield
Big lads mate wrote:
I have never liked these pitches but I’m an old timer and things move on, but I once spoke to Jordan after a Widnes game regarding the pitch and was taken back when he said he preferred it so what do I know :roll:

Always seemed to play well v Widnes at their place on the plastic pitch. Didn’t go well against London, twice last season on their plastic pitch. I guess it not what you play on, but how well you perform on such pitches. Some fans used to say Widnes had an unfair advantage when playing at home because of the plastic pitch. That really wasn’t the case was it. Our groundsman will need to take a refresher course in ground maintenance. :D
Re: 4G Pitch. Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm  

Big lads mate Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Posts: 5268
homme vaste wrote:
Out with the old, in with the new old boy, if it was up to your lot we would still be watching 3 channels in black and white :D

3 :shock:
Re: 4G Pitch. Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:21 am  

User avatarCM Punk wrote:
CM Punk User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:36 pm
Posts: 7257
Location: The Midlands
Having played American Football on 3G, 4G & Grass pitches, I can say that 4G is miles ahead of 3G and not that far behind grass in terms of comfort. I believe Widnes is a 3G pitch, which is where you get the rubber crumb balls on the surface (A teammate of mine once got some of those stuck behind their eyeball, that was not a pleasant injury) whereas 4G doesn't need them. It may need to be watered pre-game during summer to reduce friction burns, but other than that it's as good as a good grass pitch.
Wigan RLFC
Re: 4G Pitch. Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am  

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
CM Punk wrote:
Having played American Football on 3G, 4G & Grass pitches, I can say that 4G is miles ahead of 3G and not that far behind grass in terms of comfort. I believe Widnes is a 3G pitch, which is where you get the rubber crumb balls on the surface (A teammate of mine once got some of those stuck behind their eyeball, that was not a pleasant injury) whereas 4G doesn't need them. It may need to be watered pre-game during summer to reduce friction burns, but other than that it's as good as a good grass pitch.


Thanks, it's interesting. From what I gather these pitches vary greatly, some 4G pitches are Hybrid and contain a percentage of grass, which apparently stops the friction burns.

I think the technology has improved dramatically in recent years. If the players like it and they seem to then a pitch that can be used all the time is a no brainer.
Re: 4G Pitch. Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15252
If there arent many clubs playing on this surface, we should increase our home advantage, which has to be a major plus :IDEA:
Re: 4G Pitch. Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:48 am  

Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 2158
wrencat1873 wrote:
If there arent many clubs playing on this surface, we should increase our home advantage, which has to be a major plus :IDEA:


Well, that's the beauty of it, we can train on it every day all year round as long as we want. I assume only snow or severe ice might stop you. It would definitely give us an advantage if we are good enough to use it.
Re: 4G Pitch. Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 am  

cosmicat wrote:
cosmicat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:09 pm
Posts: 1149
Most premiership pitch’s are 4g now perfect
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1315trinity, 1873, 60sCat, Big lads mate, cosmicat, Dunkirk Spirit, JINJER, lampyboy, LG83, phe13, PopTart, Trinity 61, Trinity1964, Two Points, vastman, Wakeywakeywakey, Willzay and 125 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,117,3741,11378,4284,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X