WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Half-time Breaks

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Half-time Breaks

Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:48 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Redscat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Just a little light relief, but Trinity connected.

A few years ago I seem to recall that during the half-time breaks at Belle Vue periodically they used to engage up and coming pop groups to "entertain" fans . From memory, most of the crowd appeared somewhat apathetic regarding the music and just discussed the game between each other rather than listen to the act.
From memory some of those that appeared went on to far far bigger things, and I remember JLS, Diversity and One Direction being just three that "entertained". Those three samples became megastars in their own spheres.

Does any one else recall those days and others that may have appeared?

Also, during the Seventies on many occasions stars that were appearing at the adjacent Wakefield Theatre Club used to "Kick off" the match.
Those that I recall carrying this out include Petula Clark, Cilla Black and Danny La Rue. After the celelebrity kick off the official kick off took place.

Somewhat happier times at BV.
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm  

Big lads mate Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Redscat wrote:

A few years ago I seem to recall that during the half-time breaks at Belle Vue periodically they used to engage up and coming pop groups to "entertain" fans . From memory, most of the crowd appeared somewhat apathetic regarding the music and just discussed the game between each other rather than listen to the act.
From memory some of those that appeared went on to far far bigger things, and I remember JLS, Diversity and One Direction being just three that "entertained". Those three samples became megastars in their own spheres.

Also, during the Seventies on many occasions stars that were appearing at the adjacent Wakefield Theatre Club used to "Kick off" the match.
Those that I recall carrying this out include Petula Clark, Cilla Black and Danny La Rue. After the celelebrity kick off the official kick off took place.

Can’t remember Danny La Rue RC, but I would’ve definitely payed to watch that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:55 pm  

Silver RLFANS Member

Redscat wrote:

The daughter once sang at half time but I’m afraid that was her claim fame :(
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Big lads mate wrote:
Can’t remember Danny La Rue RC, but I would’ve definitely payed to watch that :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was quite a laugh. He didn't manage to raise the ball more than a foot above the level off the pitch. I recall he wore a black blazer and very baggy white flannels. He was probably wearing stiletto heels but I couldn't tell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 pm  
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Remember Ray Quinn being at Belle Vue once. This was after he'd lost X Factor final to Leone Lewis but before his Ice Skating stuff.
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years"

Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance

2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son.

2020 - There is no Plan B
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:50 pm  

cheshirecat57 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Charlie Drake kick off in a game against Batley! and slipped on his backside :D
More recent times what about chico time :lol:
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:59 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Big lads mate wrote:
The daughter once sang at half time but I’m afraid that was her claim fame :(

More than I've ever done, BLM. Must take guts. Did she further her her singing career? :)
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Free-scoring winger

cheshirecat57 wrote:
Charlie Drake kick off in a game against Batley! and slipped on his backside :D
More recent times what about chico time :lol:

Correct!! I'd forgotten him :thumb: :thumb:
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

I remember when Diversity came the crowd was massive until kick off and then half went home with the kids that only came to see them.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Half-time Breaks Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 pm  

Silver RLFANS Member

Redscat wrote:
More than I've ever done, BLM. Must take guts. Did she further her her singing career? :)

Not in the singing game, I think it was the Wakefield has got talent competition she won, married a daft lad from Flanshaw and got settled down :D
Next