WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rob Burrow
Rob Burrow Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:51 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Redscat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Probably what can be said about this guy has already been said on previous threads, but what can anyone say about the lad who saw that film about him and his family on holiday during the half-time break in yesterday's Hull v Cas game.
The humility of the bloke who, despite his dreadful illness, thinks only of putting his family first. His speech having deteriorated so much in such a short time, but he struggled to tell of his situation.
When you see some of these creepy politicians that walk away with knighthoods and peerages for doing nothing but their job of work (generally badly), the courage of Rob Burrows puts them to shame.
What a bloke!!! :CLAP: :CLAP:
Re: Rob Burrows Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Well the first thing I'd do is get his name right.
I've corrected the title for you.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Rob Burrow Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:55 pm  

PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

It's very moving every time I see him.
Leeds have done a great job promoting his message.

Apparently the donations shot up in the half time piece on the CC and they didn't even ask for any.

I met him once. Thoroughly nice and humble guy.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Rob Burrows Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Free-scoring winger

PopTart wrote:
Well the first thing I'd do is get his name right.
I've corrected the title for you.

A bit uneccessary pedantic tone there PT!. I have to think twice when typing your initials. I always want to put a "F" instead of a "T". :roll:
Re: Rob Burrows Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:00 pm  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Redscat wrote:
A bit uneccessary pedantic tone there PT!. I have to think twice when typing your initials. I always want to put a "F" instead of a "T". :roll:

Quick to jump on this but shys from answering my question on the Toronto thread :roll:
Re: Rob Burrows Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:12 pm  

PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Redscat wrote:

OK. Maybe that came across more snotty than I meant it to be. I apologise for that. I still think when giving someone respect for what they are doing or going through it would be good to get his name right though.
Re: Rob Burrows Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:12 pm  

PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

snowie wrote:
Quick to jump on this but shys from answering my question on the Toronto thread :roll:

Is that aimed at me? I don't know which thread you mean.
Re: Rob Burrow Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 pm  

Redscat wrote:
Free-scoring winger

I don't think a guy like Rob would give it a second thought, . and take the compliment in the spirit in which it was intended. It's amazing how often people spell my given name incorrectly and it's never bothered me one little bit, PT. Having said that, apology accepted. :)
Re: Rob Burrow Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 am  

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Every bone in my body tells me not to say this but sometimes you go with your gut.

This disease is a death sentence and I feel total sorrow for all afflicted by it. But you can’t help but feel that if not worse it’s certainly crueler in Robs case.

He’s a man who’s whole life has been about the physical and pushing the limits there of. I’m not saying there isn’t more to the man as clearly there is but I’m sure you get my drift.

Apart from the obvious pain and fear that all those who suffer this illness get, how exactly do you reconcile that only a few years ago you were a supreme athlete. Unimaginable to me. My life has barely changed in ten years, I’m still the shambling wreck I always was. RB’s life has disintegrated in the time I normally take picking my next car.

Really shocking and upsetting video.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Rob Burrow Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 am  

User avatarFordy wrote:
Fordy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I agree Vasty, really upsetting to watch. I was shocked by how quickly he has deteriorated but also absolutely astounded by his attitude towards it. I always had a soft spot for Burrow as he put his body on the line, week in, week out against men twice his size and he never took a backward step. It looks like he is facing this challenge in exactly the same way and I admire him immensely for it.
As you suggested it would be easy to feel sorry for himself, given where he's come from but he has adopted the fighters attitude he always had and is trying to raise awareness for the cause whilst dedicating his time to family.
Almost in tears again typing this - Rob Burrow - What a man!!!
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - The PRIDE of Sporting Wakefield

Motivation will almost always beat mere talent.

Learn from the past, but don't live in it!
Next