WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto
Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:58 am  
Scarlet Pimpernell Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 pm
Posts: 2011
I am sorry but they do not deserve to be admitted back to Super League for next season. They pulled out at the last minute leaving the game very little time before the season resumed. They failed to pay their players and apparently refund the season tickets. They have basically brought the game into disrepute and given those in the press who consider there is only one form of rugby (kick and clap) far too much ammunition.
We have been through one of these but managed to complete our fixtures and survive even though some clubs wanted us out. We have been around a long time fortunately but what is to say Toronto will not be in the same position next season and how many are going to want to invest in season tickets leaving the club with little revenue and currently no Ken Davey to fill the gap.
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 13056
Location: wakefield
I disagree. They were affected differently to other UK trans who could furlough.
If they sort their issues they have the right to play to me.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:25 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14315
Scarlet Pimpernell wrote:
I am sorry but they do not deserve to be admitted back to Super League for next season. They pulled out at the last minute leaving the game very little time before the season resumed. They failed to pay their players and apparently refund the season tickets. They have basically brought the game into disrepute and given those in the press who consider there is only one form of rugby (kick and clap) far too much ammunition.
We have been through one of these but managed to complete our fixtures and survive even though some clubs wanted us out. We have been around a long time fortunately but what is to say Toronto will not be in the same position next season and how many are going to want to invest in season tickets leaving the club with little revenue and currently no Ken Davey to fill the gap.


I agree

IF they are to come back into SL, which looks increasingly likely, there has to be a hefty points deduction but, I guess we have to see what happens.
Certainly to come back in "as though nothing happened" would be massively wrong and could set a dangerous precedent for any clubs' future failings.
Also with massive uncertainty about international travel, clubs travelling back and forth across the Atlantic seems risky as hell. Thingas are bad enough now, with players from just about every club testing positive for covid.
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14315
PopTart wrote:
I disagree. They were affected differently to other UK trans who could furlough.
If they sort their issues they have the right to play to me.


How do you reconcile this with their agreement to see the season through and then a full 180 degree change of mind within a week, when they suddenly decided that their "Aussie" players visas would expire. Plus, non payment of wages (which was happening pre covid)
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 13056
Location: wakefield
wrencat1873 wrote:
How do you reconcile this with their agreement to see the season through and then a full 180 degree change of mind within a week, when they suddenly decided that their "Aussie" players visas would expire. Plus, non payment of wages (which was happening pre covid)


I agree they need to sort their issues out but Covid has affected them and that should be taken in to consideration.
I agree they have to be able to pay their team and that should be agreed beforehand.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:02 pm  

supercat wrote:
supercat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 2007
PopTart wrote:
I disagree. They were affected differently to other UK trans who could furlough.
If they sort their issues they have the right to play to me.


So COVID kicked in a lot earlier in Canada than uk. Their messes have been documented and went on well before we heard of COVID.
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 pm  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 9924
There shouldn’t be an American side in an English league full stop. The whole thing is bananas.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:25 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 13056
Location: wakefield
Willzay wrote:
There shouldn’t be an American side in an English league full stop. The whole thing is bananas.


Why not? We have a French one.
It's all about the income it brings.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 pm  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 20366
PopTart wrote:
Why not? We have a French one.
It's all about the income it brings.
go on then tell us what income comes to belle vue that makes up for the outgoings to get over there :roll:
Re: Toronto Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 pm  

supercat wrote:
supercat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 2007
PopTart wrote:
Why not? We have a French one.
It's all about the income it brings.


The only thing incoming it brings at the moment is embarrassment on the game. Will be interesting to see which players decide to take up contracts again and which will take a chance on signing. Once bitten twice shy is putting it mildly.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MOPSEY LIVES ON and 56 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,071,58057178,2214,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts