Jun 01 20159 years145th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 23:0617th Mar 24 19:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 pm  
Steph Curry wrote:
What has Widnes and Bradford’s demise got to do with Toronto?

Toronto have generated more interest in rugby league in 1 week than Wakefield have in 50 years. That’s why they are good for the game

Short memory Steph eh? In 1983 (LESS than 50 years ago), Trinity made an equally or more astounding, world newsworthy signing when they signed Wally Lewis. You must either be a young lass or Know little about the game!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain200No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 28 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Jan 20 12:0415th Jan 20 08:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm  
[quote="Tommy Duckfingers"]Absolutely. Nowt stopping us from signing him or his ilk - other than the fact we haven't got a pot to mickey in.

Pretending that signing SBW is anything other huge for various reasons just smacks of jealousy and insecurity from some fans. Let's be right here, if we had just announced him signing for us then we'd all be over the moon and there'd be crusty socks everywhere.

Ultimately, if Toronto have got their plan wrong and they flop on the field then they'll be in a dog fight at the bottom of the league with, most probably, a few other teams. After all, we want matters to be decided on the park don't we? They've come through the leagues and earned their shot and I accept I'll be in a minority here but I hope they do really well.[/quote}

I for one wish we had signed him, the Toronto fans are lucky to have got him on board.
As far as Toronto are concerned, I appreciate what you are saying , but if the trend continues towards a possible international SL, where do you think that would leave the likes of us, Cas, and Hull KR etc?
I have nothing against Toronto playing RL, but they should do it in their own league. Just my opinion of course.
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:45 pm  
Redscat wrote:
Short memory Steph eh? In 1983 (LESS than 50 years ago), Trinity made an equally or more astounding, world newsworthy signing when they signed Wally Lewis. You must either be a young lass or Know little about the game!!

It's even forgotten about by the media as well so you can't blame him
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... -transfers

Makes you wonder did we ever sign the greatest rugby league player at all, little old Wakefield eh
Redscat wrote:

Makes you wonder did we ever sign the greatest rugby league player at all, little old Wakefield eh
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2894
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years145th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:33 pm  
snowie wrote:

Makes you sick doesn't it, Snowie? There's unfashionable, and then there's Wakefield Trinity. By paying whatever they have for SBW's services have Toronto now set new levels of signing on fees for "world class" players??
snowie wrote:

Makes you sick doesn't it, Snowie? There's unfashionable, and then there's Wakefield Trinity. By paying whatever they have for SBW's services have Toronto now set new levels of signing on fees for "world class" players??
RankPostsTeam
International Star140No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 06 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Oct 20 20:447th Oct 20 21:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm  
Think we paid 8000 for Derek turner in 1959 big money in those days I bet he'd have given sonny bill a good game as well.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1089No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20 201212 years243rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 18:4923rd Feb 24 22:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:30 pm  
PopTart wrote:
But no one in the heartlands has that money.
It isn't stopping anyone in the North of England doing anything they like.

Exactly so what you will have is a team full of clubs who will only be there if they have rich owners. What a joy. We'll get to watch the richest buy the mostest while clubs go to the wall that we all cherish and support - there you shall lose more fans than you will gain. The reason rugby league struggles is because historically it hasn't been able to retain the fans it already has. Some of the crowds Wakefield used to get makes our current attendances look like a joke. I've nothing against Toronto exisiting as a rugby league club - I have as a rugby league club in a competition based in Britain. Chucking obscene money at a player that is past his best rather than thwoing that amount of money at grassroots at Toronto and canadian rugby as a whole goes to show me that it's not so much expansion that is the motivator here. You need to as a sport show that you are worth more than other sports by getting young kids into the game, chucking ten million dollars at SBW is not the answer - it's an expensive gimmick. If this was about exposing more kids and families to the game, Toronto would have been far better off spending 10 million dollars on marketing or free tickets to kids and families who have never attended a rugby league game. You might get a few extra walk-ins of passive Rugby fans in to watch one game of the season but most people outside of Rugby don't know who SBW is. You need the power base and marketing in order to expand the game. I fear that there is some extreme naivety in some of the hyperbolic positive responses I've seen regarding this from Rugby League outlets. I'll be looking at attendance figures in the coming season extremely closely believe me. Is SBW going to be good to watch as a Rugby League fan? Yes. Is this going to be effective in making the game any better? Not for me. It might set a precedent for getting rid of the salary cap and trying to attract new teams to the league. New teams run by rich owners in an International Super League. Does that sound attractive? Not for me. I'm struggling to see any long-term planning or plan to improve Super League other than rolls of a dice and individual clubs paying extortionate amounts of dollars for players who are past it. TL:DR I don't see how Toronto spending that money improves the game overall? Unless they plan on throwing 100 million at 10 other top Aussies - oh wait, that wouldn't be improving the game either for young British players.
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2894
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 20159 years145th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm  
Adam_Harrison9 wrote:
Exactly so what you will have is a team full of clubs who will only be there if they have rich owners. What a joy. We'll get to watch the richest buy the mostest while clubs go to the wall that we all cherish and support - there you shall lose more fans than you will gain. The reason Rugby League struggles is because histroically it hasn't been able to retain the fans it already has. Some of the crowds Wakefield used to get makes our current attendences look like a joke. I've nothing against Toronto exisiting as a Rugby League club - I have as a rugby league club in a competition based in Britain. Chucking obscene money at a player that is past his best rather than thwoing that amount of money at grassroots at Toronto and canadian rugby as a whole goes to show me that it's not so much expansion that is the motivator here. You need to as a sport show that you are worth more than other sports by getting young kids into the game, chucking ten million dollars at SBW is not the answer - it's an expensive gimmick. If this was about exposing more kids and families to the game, Toronto would have been far better off spending 10 million dollars on marketing or free tickets to kids and families who have never attended a Rugby League game. You might get a few extra walk-ins of passive Rugby fans in to watch one game of the season but most people outside of Rugby don't know who SBW is. You need the power base and marketing in order to expand the game. I fear that there is some extreme naivety in some of the hyperbolic positive responses I've seen regarding this from Rugby League outlets. I'll be looking at attendance figures in the coming season extremely closely believe me. Is SBW going to be good to watch as a Rugby League fan? Yes. Is this going to be effective in making the game any better? Not for me. It might set a precedent for getting rid of the salary cap and trying to attract new teams to the league. New teams run by rich owners in an International Super League. Does that sound attractive? Not for me. I'm struggling to see any long-term planning or plan to improve Super League other than rolls of a dice and individual clubs paying extortionate amounts of dollars for players who are past it. TL:DR I don't see how Toronto spending that money improves the game overall? Unless they plan on throwing 100 million at 10 other top Aussies - oh wait, that wouldn't be improving the game either for young British players.

Spot on Adam. Well said. I agree with every word.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5639
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20 200915 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 03:1524th Mar 24 22:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sonny bill : Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:23 pm  
Adam_Harrison9 wrote:
Exactly so what you will have is a team full of clubs who will only be there if they have rich owners. What a joy. We'll get to watch the richest buy the mostest while clubs go to the wall that we all cherish and support - there you shall lose more fans than you will gain. The reason Rugby League struggles is because histroically it hasn't been able to retain the fans it already has. Some of the crowds Wakefield used to get makes our current attendences look like a joke. I've nothing against Toronto exisiting as a Rugby League club - I have as a rugby league club in a competition based in Britain. Chucking obscene money at a player that is past his best rather than thwoing that amount of money at grassroots at Toronto and canadian rugby as a whole goes to show me that it's not so much expansion that is the motivator here. You need to as a sport show that you are worth more than other sports by getting young kids into the game, chucking ten million dollars at SBW is not the answer - it's an expensive gimmick. If this was about exposing more kids and families to the game, Toronto would have been far better off spending 10 million dollars on marketing or free tickets to kids and families who have never attended a Rugby League game. You might get a few extra walk-ins of passive Rugby fans in to watch one game of the season but most people outside of Rugby don't know who SBW is. You need the power base and marketing in order to expand the game. I fear that there is some extreme naivety in some of the hyperbolic positive responses I've seen regarding this from Rugby League outlets. I'll be looking at attendance figures in the coming season extremely closely believe me. Is SBW going to be good to watch as a Rugby League fan? Yes. Is this going to be effective in making the game any better? Not for me. It might set a precedent for getting rid of the salary cap and trying to attract new teams to the league. New teams run by rich owners in an International Super League. Does that sound attractive? Not for me. I'm struggling to see any long-term planning or plan to improve Super League other than rolls of a dice and individual clubs paying extortionate amounts of dollars for players who are past it. TL:DR I don't see how Toronto spending that money improves the game overall? Unless they plan on throwing 100 million at 10 other top Aussies - oh wait, that wouldn't be improving the game either for young British players.

Can't argue with that mate. I've said it before, it's a shame Toulouse didn't have a backer or could have managed those crucial wins last season because that to me is the best natural expansion. With news of TV deals falling through for Catalans, if they'd have been promoted it would have been a real shot in the arm for French RL but also given the expansionists something to get their teeth into it, with the thought of another genuine derby and the chance to get more media interest across the channel, in an area with Junior development all the way up.

I had to laugh the other day when it was reported the SBW had been inquiring about his new house and where were the best places to live,thinking Tornto but nah, he was talking about Manchester because that's where they're based for months.
If you were to tell even the most open minded non RL fan, this idea that's come to fruition of a Toronto team started up by a billionaire backer and they're completely reliant on him, but they're playing in a European SL, plus what more, they can't play at home for a couple of months or whatever it is because it's too cold and the City won't let them because they need the stadium for other things. Then topped off by stuff like teams traveling over there and managing any effects of that. Then there grand media plan and main player brought into to keep them away from relegation is a 34 year old former great RL that's had to be gently nursed during the recent RU WC because he's had some pesky injuries. Oh aye the blokes on a yearly salary that's more than a whole SL team, I reckon you'd have to explain it a couple of times before they said, nah don't believe you pal.

Even though in the comparison I'm going to make there are plenty of differences from Toronto but generally there's a similar vibe with the NY Cosmos football team in the 70's when US football tried to become big time. The resemblance is a very rich man called Steve Ross - The world’s first media mogul had founded Warner Communications in 1971, whose catalogue boasted big names such as Barbra Streisand, Ray Charles and The Rolling Stones. Ross had ignited the cable television revolution, bought a company who launched the first ever video game console and helped integrate the comic book into the entertainment industry.Obviously the other similarity is they chucked a huge sum of money at him and was going to be the face for the team.

Ross bought out all the other Cosmos owners and wanted to create something big. With the team going nowhere fast infront of a few hundred people, Ross and the Cosmos team knew they needed something special to ignite interest in the team and in the NASL. That something special would be Pelé. Pele was at the back end of his career and had announced his retirement from his lifelong club Santos and in 1974 made the move to the USA. The reported deal was worth $4.5 million. This led to other stars moving over like Gordon Banks, Rodney Marsh, Geoff Hurst, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto and George Best all graced the NASL.

Ateotd they enjoyed a few glory years when all the stars were there and the media were all over them and then Pele retired and the whole thing just fizzled out, to have to be all rebuilt years later.
Previous

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
21 man Squads - Devils v Leopards
Septimius Se
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Catalans Home
Wire n Steel
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
6m
The Good Friday Derby Massacre
Roam Ranger
7m
Squad for Catalan
Alffi_7
26m
Fevround 2
Wollo-Wollo-
35m
Huddersfield - Home
Fartown58
36m
Saints a
CobraCraig
39m
Smith - should he stay or should he go
Rocknrolla69
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Rd 6 I Cas A
Rockinhorse
16s
Saints a
CobraCraig
25s
No grade A for 2025 for Trinity
Khlav Kalash
32s
Spare Tickets Friday
33s
Septimius Se
37s
Smith - should he stay or should he go
Rocknrolla69
2m
The Wigan Way - New Podcast - Chairman Special
Jukesays
2m
Championship TV deal
Trojan Horse
2m
Other Championship Clubs
Trojan Horse
3m
Squad for Sheffield
AdamH
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Septimius Se
TODAY
Squad for Catalan
Alffi_7
TODAY
The Wigan Way - New Podcast - Chairman Special
Jukesays
TODAY
Dons v Swinton Lions 30 June 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Squad for Sheffield
AdamH
TODAY
London Away
Fartown58
TODAY
The Bulls away
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
The official Leon Hayes Thread
Alffi_7
TODAY
Saints a
CobraCraig
TODAY
Leon Ruan signs on loan
Jemmo
TODAY
Wardle
Jo Jumbuck
TODAY
Huddersfield - Home
Fartown58
TODAY
Max Wood on loan to Bradford 2 weeks
rubber ducki
TODAY
Jake Wardle 5 Year deal
Zig
TODAY
No grade A for 2025 for Trinity
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Cup Quarter Final TV Arrangements
RLFANS News
TODAY
Rd 6 I Cas A
Rockinhorse
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Catalans Home
Wire n Steel
TODAY
Spare Tickets Friday
TODAY
RL Podcast
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Challenge Cup
stpatricks
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Cup Quarter Final TV Arrangeme..
2024 Challenge Cup Quarter Fin..
Easy Does It For The Dragons A..
Warrington Demolish London For..
Leigh Leopards Beat Plucky Fea..
Saints Triumph Over Disappoint..
Easy Win for the Wolves Over L..
Dragons Condemn Castleford To ..
Leigh Leopards Secure First Po..
St Helens Tame The Rhinos To W..
Wigan Warriors Come From Behin..
Betfred Championship and Leagu..
2024 Challenge Cup Sixth Round..
Featherstone Win Extra Time Cu..
Dragons Triumph Over Hull FC t..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.57M +42,970 ↑20180,00114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
National Rugby League 2024-R4
09:00
Sydney
v
Penrith
Mens Super League XXVIII-R6
20:00
Castleford
v
Leeds
 TOMORROW
Championship 2024-R2
18:00
Featherstone
v
Wakefield
 Sun 7th Apr
Championship 2024-R3
15:00
Doncaster
v
Wakefield
 Sun 12th May 2024
1895 Cup 2024-R5
Bradford
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 28th Mar
SL
Castleford-Leeds
Fri 29th Mar
SL
12:30
Hull KR-Hull FC
SL
St.Helens-Wigan
Sat 30th Mar
SL
Warrington-Catalans
SL
17:30
Salford-Leigh
Sun 31st Mar
SL
LondonB-Huddersfield
L1
Oldham-Rochdale
Thu 4th Apr
SL
Leigh-Wigan
Fri 5th Apr
SL
Castleford-Salford
SL
Hull KR-LondonB
SL
Leeds-Warrington
Sat 6th Apr
SL
Hull FC-Huddersfield
SL
Catalans-St.Helens
Sat 13th Apr
CC2024
17:00
Hull KR-Leigh
Sun 14th Apr
CC2024
16:30
St.Helens-Warrington
Fri 19th Apr
SL
Leeds-Huddersfield
SL
St.Helens-Hull FC
SL
Wigan-Castleford
Sat 20th Apr
SL
Warrington-Leigh
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
Sun 24th Mar
CC2024 6 Halifax4-40Catalans
NRL 3 Parramatta28-24Manly
NRL 3 Newcastle14-12Melbourne
L1 1 Cornwall16-40Crusaders
L1 1 Keighley58-16Workington
L1 1 Midlands70-16Newcastle
L1 1 Rochdale24-26Hunslet
WOMCC2024 2 FeatherstoneW38-6Shef W
WOMCC2024 2 BarrowW18-20WiganW
WOMCC2024 2 LonB W6-24Wire W
WOMCC2024 2 HKR Wom0-90LeedsW
WOMCC2024 2 Lei L W6-36Hudds W
Sat 23rd Mar
CC2024 6 Batley14-28Castleford
CC2024 6 Huddersfield50-6Hull FC
CC2024 6 Leigh26-14Featherstone
CC2024 6 Warrington42-0LondonB
NRL 3 Canterbury32-0Gold Coast
NRL 3 St.George24-46NQL Cowboys
NRL 3 Wests36-6Cronulla
WOMCC2024 2 Card Wom58-0Sal W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Warrington 5 156 58 98 8
Wigan 4 144 54 90 8
St.Helens 5 118 40 78 8
Catalans 5 126 54 72 8
Hull KR 5 98 63 35 6
Leeds 5 82 82 0 6

Salford 5 95 96 -1 6
Huddersfield 5 94 98 -4 4
Leigh 4 82 54 28 2
Hull FC 5 54 162 -108 2
Castleford 5 56 178 -122 0
LondonB 5 54 220 -166 0
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Widnes 1 44 8 36 2
Wakefield 1 42 12 30 2
Doncaster 1 36 20 16 2
Halifax 1 24 10 14 2
Featherstone 1 24 20 4 2
Sheffield 1 24 22 2 2

Whitehaven 1 18 16 2 2
Toulouse 1 22 24 -2 0
Swinton 1 16 18 -2 0
Batley 1 20 24 -4 0