WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Thanks to everyone

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Thanks to everyone

Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Posted by PopTart on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 998
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 12299
Location: wakefield
bren2k wrote:
I'm one of those rare people who never signed up to FB, and I never will; I have no desire to reconnect with people I left behind in my schooldays, I'm not interested in where people go on holiday or what they're having for tea, and if I want cat videos, I imagine I can find them on YouTube. On that basis, FB never appealed to me.

The recent scandals about personal data and how its used have confirmed that I made the right decision; and if I had any doubt, a recent work meeting with a company who specialise in using the FB algorithm to target potential employees has removed it - the level of targeting and specificity they can achieve by using the data that FB harvest about its users is genuinely sinister. The guy actually said to me, "the reason FB is free to users, is because you're not the customer - you're the product." Scary stuff.

That aside - online abuse does seem to be reaching epidemic proportions; and the social media companies appear to be moving heaven and earth to ensure that they don't have to take any responsibility for the content that appears on their platforms. My suggestion - set a date, and turn off FB, Twitter and Snapchat; the latter being, as far as I can see, inherently dodgy, since it's USP seems to be that messages disappear immediately having been read, hence it's popularity with 'the kids.'


I get your point about social media and your information but unfortunately you are still out there.
If you have any kind of bank card then lots of retailers handle that info.
Restricting social media won't stop that kind of fraud, which is the bit you need to secure.

I'm sure when America was wild and untamed, they'd say the gun was the best invention the world had seen. Same with the Internet. It is a phenomenal invention and can do good in unprecedented ways. Unfortunately people use it for criminal activities too.
You wouldn't stop producing cars because it was used to run someone over. You stop the guy getting a car.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm
Posted by bren2k on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 634
Rep Position: 17th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 15277
Location: Ossett
PopTart wrote:
I get your point about social media and your information but unfortunately you are still out there.
If you have any kind of bank card then lots of retailers handle that info.
Restricting social media won't stop that kind of fraud, which is the bit you need to secure.


Oh I'm not in the tinfoil hat brigade - I'm very well aware that all sorts of personal data is circulated in less than obvious ways; but the way that people willingly submit every facet of their behaviour to FB in particular, just seems crazy to me. I know I'm just an old man yelling at clouds, but I don't care.
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:10 pm
Posted by FIL on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:10 pm
FIL User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 156
Rep Position: 159th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 pm
Posts: 2091
Location: Riding the Trinity rollercoaster !!
bren2k wrote:
I'm one of those rare people who never signed up to FB, and I never will; I have no desire to reconnect with people I left behind in my schooldays, I'm not interested in where people go on holiday or what they're having for tea, and if I want cat videos, I imagine I can find them on YouTube. On that basis, FB never appealed to me.

The recent scandals about personal data and how its used have confirmed that I made the right decision; and if I had any doubt, a recent work meeting with a company who specialise in using the FB algorithm to target potential employees has removed it - the level of targeting and specificity they can achieve by using the data that FB harvest about its users is genuinely sinister. The guy actually said to me, "the reason FB is free to users, is because you're not the customer - you're the product." Scary stuff.

That aside - online abuse does seem to be reaching epidemic proportions; and the social media companies appear to be moving heaven and earth to ensure that they don't have to take any responsibility for the content that appears on their platforms. My suggestion - set a date, and turn off FB, Twitter and Snapchat; the latter being, as far as I can see, inherently dodgy, since it's USP seems to be that messages disappear immediately having been read, hence it's popularity with 'the kids.'


:CLAP: :CLAP: …I'm with you, Bren...the only ones I use are text messaging and WhatsApp.

Dinosaurs rule :ROCKS: :ROCKS:
M.I.B. ??....nope - M.I.R.W.B !!!

Sent from my steam-powered Sinclair ZX81.
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Posted by Redscat on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Redscat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 243
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 1465
bren2k wrote:
I'm one of those rare people who never signed up to FB, and I never will; I have no desire to reconnect with people I left behind in my schooldays, I'm not interested in where people go on holiday or what they're having for tea, and if I want cat videos, I imagine I can find them on YouTube. On that basis, FB never appealed to me.

The recent scandals about personal data and how its used have confirmed that I made the right decision; and if I had any doubt, a recent work meeting with a company who specialise in using the FB algorithm to target potential employees has removed it - the level of targeting and specificity they can achieve by using the data that FB harvest about its users is genuinely sinister. The guy actually said to me, "the reason FB is free to users, is because you're not the customer - you're the product." Scary stuff.

That aside - online abuse does seem to be reaching epidemic proportions; and the social media companies appear to be moving heaven and earth to ensure that they don't have to take any responsibility for the content that appears on their platforms. My suggestion - set a date, and turn off FB, Twitter and Snapchat; the latter being, as far as I can see, inherently dodgy, since it's USP seems to be that messages disappear immediately having been read, hence it's popularity with 'the kids.'


With yuou all the way, Bren, 100%. I'd ban Facebook tomorrow. I'm sure that it has more bad qualities than good.
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 pm
Posted by PopTart on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 pm
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 998
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 12299
Location: wakefield
Lol. I reckon we are similar ages but I absolutely love social media. There are lots of things I don't like about it but they are all how other people use it.
I'm just careful what I share, thrifty with my friends list and don't buy anything directly through links.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 pm
Posted by Shifty Cat on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 383
Rep Position: 56th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 5441
Nah I've never particularly been into Facebook, I joined initially to get in touch with an old University friend to tell him about a mutual friend that had died. After that for the first year or so it was just used for catching up with all old school mates, College and University friends that I'd lost touch with, or had moved around the Country, or emigrated. Then after a while you get bombarded with friends requests from people you knew slightly in the early 90's and you feel obliged to except them. Then you start getting loads of notifications from lots people doing their utmost best to show the world they're living their absolute best life, eating at this restaurant, going to this Club, this holiday, this new car, so many people trying too hard. Also the thing that's crept in the past couple of years is a fair number of the women I know and some of the men have become shockingly good at Photoshop to make themselves look younger, slimmer, more muscular etc. The amount of times I've nearly died from cringing when I bump into someone who looked great in their recent pictures on Facebook is no joke. :) .

Facebooks the least of people's worry imo, because not everyone uses it and like me put next on nothing on it, it's mobile phones, IPhones in-particular are the biggie, they're like having an implanted chip in your arm, where 'they' know where you are 24/7, where you stop, where you eat, all those pages of small print no one ever reads when they're updating various operating systems and apps, can get you a bit paranoid if you think about it too much ;). Plus if you use your phone to pay they also know what you're spending you money on.


Well this has gone well OT.
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 pm
Posted by snowie on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 pm
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 731
Rep Position: 14th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 232

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 19482
bren2k wrote:
I'm one of those rare people who never signed up to FB, and I never will; I have no desire to reconnect with people I left behind in my schooldays, I'm not interested in where people go on holiday or what they're having for tea, and if I want cat videos, I imagine I can find them on YouTube. On that basis, FB never appealed to me.

The recent scandals about personal data and how its used have confirmed that I made the right decision; and if I had any doubt, a recent work meeting with a company who specialise in using the FB algorithm to target potential employees has removed it - the level of targeting and specificity they can achieve by using the data that FB harvest about its users is genuinely sinister. The guy actually said to me, "the reason FB is free to users, is because you're not the customer - you're the product." Scary stuff.

That aside - online abuse does seem to be reaching epidemic proportions; and the social media companies appear to be moving heaven and earth to ensure that they don't have to take any responsibility for the content that appears on their platforms. My suggestion - set a date, and turn off FB, Twitter and Snapchat; the latter being, as far as I can see, inherently dodgy, since it's USP seems to be that messages disappear immediately having been read, hence it's popularity with 'the kids.'
been one of the worst things I did joining facebook at the time, I found it ok at the time but then it just got ridiculous, I stayed on while I had the brewery but once it was sold I had no reason for it, thanks to TRB he posted his breakfast then tea in the same day that was it I closed it down, last week I had to log back in as someone had used my old account gawd knows how and was contacting everyone asking for money to a good cause I was supposed to be doing, within minutes I was inundated with messages and one ringing me oh the relief when I closed it again
“The bond between the players is something I’ve never had with any other club. Everyone comes into one and we’re all one group. Whenever we get a new signing, everyone just embraces the culture. It’s what I love about this club and I just can’t wait for the journey ahead.”
the Big Bopper

STAY CALM WE'VE BEEN IN WORSE SITUATIONS
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pm
Posted by sandcat20 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pm
sandcat20 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 30
Rep Position: 274th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 pm
Posts: 608
Location: On the therapist's couch
PopTart wrote:
..... There are lots of things I don't like about it but they are all how other people use it.
I'm just careful what I share, thrifty with my friends list and don't buy anything directly through links.


I'm with you on that one. Good advice which mirrors what I do. However without it I would never get to know what my kids and grandkids are up to :lol: I use private groups for family and friends and that helps quite a bit.
50 years supporting Trinity .............. and the psychiatrist still hasn't found a cure!
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1153
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12696
FIL wrote:
:CLAP: :CLAP: …I'm with you, Bren...the only ones I use are text messaging and WhatsApp.

Dinosaurs rule :ROCKS: :ROCKS:


Have they been replaced ?
I think that I might give friends reunited a go when I get time :D






























:D
Re: Thanks to everyone
Post Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Posted by lampyboy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:31 pm
lampyboy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 52
Rep Position: 252nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm
Posts: 1524
A good result for the club, pleased for Rocky. Lets be honest not many SL clubs would let an ever present, British, top assist and try scorer depart.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigJMolloy, eastardsley, Eastern Wildcat, eric35, RickK, winnintrin, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo and 90 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,986,0501,17877,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 9th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sun 16th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 21st Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 6th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL FC
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 22nd Mar 18:00
SL
TORONTO
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 9th Apr 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 24th Apr 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 2nd May 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 17th May 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
TORONTO
Sun 24th May 17:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL KR
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WAKEFIELD
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 21st Jun 15:00
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 26th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Thu 2nd Jul 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
WAKEFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





33