WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Easy game really

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Easy game really

Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:55 am
Posted by Fishermanscap on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:55 am
Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 328
Rep Position: 74th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 1488
They say RL is a simple game made difficult and I think Sunday showed that.

There were three tries that showed this perfectly and it was the difference between success and failure in my eyes.

First try - BJB off Lyne. Lyne takes the ball, runs it in with good leg speed, spins in the tackle breaks free, draws the defender, simple pass to the winger who goes in easily to score a wonderfully put together try. No bouncing about, no running aimlessly into the middle, no risky kick throughs, just a great wingers try created by his centre partner.

Second try (my fave) - Millier takes the ball on 5th, puts in a well-weighted kick, but crucially he and the rest of his teammates follow it up, fittingly Miller gets there first. How often this season have we not executed a worthwhile end to a set let alone score from it? Most I'd say.

Hampshire - It's two tries actually, one could have been construed on a bad day as a ball strip, it wasn't but it could have been. The second looked for all the world like he knocked on but it wasn't. Both tries came from opportunism from broken play which is good but what I really liked was that Hampshire didn't blink, he just went for it in both cases remaining concentrated on the job in hand, again how often this season have we blown these kinds of chances.

Yeah, it's not just as simple as that I know but it shows that if you do the basics right then you will get your reward. All the tries were typical RL tries, the sort that should be second nature to a pro. There was nothing fancy in any of them, conditioning didn't play a part, they were not especially part of a game plan, they were all standard stuff, no skills beyond the average for any SL player (in the right position) were required. Just good old fashioned RL, its all you really need along with the commitment to carry it out, anything else just overcomplicates and I swear that's been half the problem.

Good stuff, keep it up.
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am
Posted by PopTart on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 992
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 12296
Location: wakefield
I don't mean to be controversial but I don't really agree with your conclusion.
Everything you say is true but none of it would have happened without a lot of planned work drilled in training and a lot of failed attempts too.

Rugby looks a simple game but to be successful you can't just play off the cuff.

Also what Lyne did probably looked simple but that run spin and pass is something most players can't do. Not simple at all.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm
Posted by Fishermanscap on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm
Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 328
Rep Position: 74th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 1488
PopTart wrote:
I don't mean to be controversial but I don't really agree with your conclusion.
Everything you say is true but none of it would have happened without a lot of planned work drilled in training and a lot of failed attempts too.

Rugby looks a simple game but to be successful you can't just play off the cuff.

Also what Lyne did probably looked simple but that run spin and pass is something most players can't do. Not simple at all.


You're not disagreeing with me, of course it's being drilled on the training pitch or at least it should be, but it's not what we have been executing on the pitch. I should think all teams train relentlessly to score these kinds of tries but for whatever reason we not been scoring them. Sunday proved we can but even taking off days and injuries into the equation we generally haven't this season, so something been wrong somewhere.
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:34 pm
Posted by PopTart on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:34 pm
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 992
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 12296
Location: wakefield
Personally I think it's field position.
Because we are not getting off our line and making metres down field we normally do, we are snatching at chances and bombing them.

This time because of the work the forwards did and especially the new boys, we had Miller and Co stood ready and a lot of chances.

It's not the only thing, but that was a big difference I saw against Rovers.
We'll clearly have less against Wigan but the same amount of patience should be applied to the game.

I look forward to finding out.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Posted by Big lads mate on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:38 pm
Big lads mate Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 294
Rep Position: 87th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Posts: 4270
It’s when players have nowt between the lug holes when it becomes hard. Like most sports, some make the easiest game look so hard.
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 pm
Posted by little wayne69 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 pm
little wayne69 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 503
Rep Position: 37th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm
Posts: 1250
PopTart wrote:
I don't mean to be controversial but I don't really agree with your conclusion.
Everything you say is true but none of it would have happened without a lot of planned work drilled in training and a lot of failed attempts too.

Rugby looks a simple game but to be successful you can't just play off the cuff.

Also what Lyne did probably looked simple but that run spin and pass is something most players can't do. Not simple at all.

Spot on.
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm
Posted by Fishermanscap on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm
Fishermanscap Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 328
Rep Position: 74th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:54 pm
Posts: 1488
little wayne69 wrote:
Spot on.


:roll:
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm
Posted by jus@casvegas on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm
jus@casvegas Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 313th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:08 am
Posts: 233
Location: cas vegas
Just watched game and it was a vast improvement by every man
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm
Posted by Upanunder on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm
Upanunder User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 220
Rep Position: 123rd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:15 pm
Posts: 1037
PopTart wrote:
Rugby looks a simple game but to be successful you can't just play off the cuff.

Also what Lyne did probably looked simple but that run spin and pass is something most players can't do. Not simple at all.

seconded.
Lyne is one on one, if he isn't one on one he's unlikely to be spinning out of anything.
I'm looking at what gets him one on one for him to do what he does in the first place.
Danny Brush ain't taking that to the line without off load support = not off the cuff.
Re: Easy game really
Post Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:49 pm
Posted by little wayne69 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:49 pm
little wayne69 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 503
Rep Position: 37th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm
Posts: 1250
Fishermanscap wrote:
:roll:

:ROCKS:
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B V Bob, BarnsleyGull, Big lads mate, Dunkirk Spirit, Google [Bot], imwakefieldtillidie, Manuel, poplar cats alive, REDWHITEANDBLUE, trin77, Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo and 121 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,7551,42877,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 9th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sun 16th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 21st Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 6th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL FC
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sun 22nd Mar 18:00
SL
TORONTO
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 9th Apr 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 24th Apr 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 2nd May 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 17th May 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
TORONTO
Sun 24th May 17:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL KR
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WAKEFIELD
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 21st Jun 15:00
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 26th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





33