Re: Pauli Pauli
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Posted by bellycouldtackle on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm
bellycouldtackle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 121
Rep Position: 192nd / 77,858

Quiz Score: 0

The idea of using PP as a second row was just silly. The only way to use PP is how Salford used him, impact prop of the bench, defending in the middle not having to make defensive reads and one on one tackles. In attack they just had him following Hastings. Last season Hampshire put him through for a few tries off little short soft passes close to the line. We have used him incorrectly and all decisions made were by our coaching staff. All that said I still do not think he is worth a overseas quota spot in any SL team because his defense is just not good enough. He seems , from the outside , as a really relaxed happy chap. He is only young so I hope he enjoys his time at Salford, goes well for them and is happy in life. One thing for sure Watson the Salford coach along with Ward at London must be the only contenders for coach of the year so you must think that Watson will get the best out of PP. If the Saints coach gets coach of the year it will be a travesty,
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 pm
Posted by FickleFingerOfFate on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 pm
FickleFingerOfFate User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 102
Rep Position: 207th / 77,858

Watson and Ward should definitely be in contention for coach of the year.
Not sure how Salford will go next year, after adding Rowley to their coaching staff.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1118
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,858

FickleFingerOfFate wrote:
Not sure how Salford will go next year, after adding Rowley to their coaching staff.

It's a tight call as to which of those 2 coaches deserves the gong.
London were tipped to be easy beats and have exceeded all expectations but Salford, tipped by many to be 10th/11th have a real chance of making the play offs and that is without the services of one of their star players, Lui, who fell for the bright lights of Leeds.
Watson seems really calm when in front of the cameras and I dont recall seeing him rattled, although I've no idea how he is behind the scenes.

Both Watson and Ward always seem to have a decent plan on how to play different opponents and ok, it may not always come off but, both are getting the max out of their respective squads.

Getting back to Pauli, I agree with Belly that we have tried to turn him into a different player and it absolutely hasn't worked.
Worth noting that his record during his loan spell at Salford far exceeded what he had managed with us.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:30 pm
Posted by metallicat on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:30 pm
metallicat User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 79
Rep Position: 229th / 77,858

Pauli is lazy his half attempts at tackles are ridiculous, good riddance from me he is / was unfortunately a failed project. shouldve stayed with Salford and not come back, shame we couldn't get a decent swap when he was there :D
Current Yorkshire Cup holders - Trinity
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am
Posted by bren2k on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 624
Rep Position: 20th / 77,858

wrencat1873 wrote:
Getting back to Pauli, I agree with Belly that we have tried to turn him into a different player and it absolutely hasn't worked.

I don't buy this at all. What we've tried to do with PP is have him behave like a pro athlete, and deliver value - and he's refused to do that; a few short range tries for Salford doesn't change anything.

For me, he's another of those players with all the gear and no idea, and proof positive that it's no use giving it to the big lad if the big lad is bone idle, hung over and can't really be ar5ed. Nothing we can do will fix his slovenly attitude to his own performance.

Get rid - move on.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am
Posted by Slugger McBatt on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am
Slugger McBatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 177
Rep Position: 148th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 36

FickleFingerOfFate wrote:

It's a tricky one. You'd expect Justin Holbrook, because Saints have been in a different league, but Ward and Watson have exceeded expectations.

BUT, it will come down to the last weekend. Can you give coach of the year to the relegated coach, just on the basis that they did better than expected? Or to a coach who "almost" got their team into the play-offs? If London stayed up, however, Danny Ward would deserve it.
WAKEFIELD TRINITY - MORE ANCIENT. MORE LOYAL.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am
Posted by alegend on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am
alegend Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 58
Rep Position: 250th / 77,858

Sorry do not agree about Ward for coach of year,he as done ok and managed to stay injury free with the players, think that's down to the conditioner. Think the G 4 patch as helped .Notice how how much the ball bounces with out a lot of force behind the ball , it's a big advantage if you playing on it every home game. Do not know what kind of money he as had to spend ,but remember wie are no were near the salaiy cap . As said he as done ok
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:46 am
Posted by homme vaste on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:46 am
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 438
Rep Position: 46th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 184

alegend wrote:
Sorry do not agree about Ward for coach of year,he as done ok and managed to stay injury free with the players, think that's down to the conditioner. Think the G 4 patch as helped .Notice how how much the ball bounces with out a lot of force behind the ball , it's a big advantage if you playing on it every home game. Do not know what kind of money he as had to spend ,but remember wie are no were near the salaiy cap . As said he as done ok

Think that is a bit harsh, its clear to see the work that Ward has done in analysing the teams London have come up against and how he has tactically changed his game plan for every game more or less to target weaknesses in teams, to answer your question about the spend, who knows? But he only had a few additions from his championship team! That said, it would be quite ironic to give the coach of the year to a coach who has had his team relegated (Looking likely) with this being a results business, unfortunately it would be seen as Ward has failed.

Also I would not say we are "No were near the salary cap" we were 340k below at the beginning of the season.

Since then we have signed Tanginoa, MCB (Albeit has now gone) Tangata, Atkins and taken Escare and Green on loan and let go Huby and Hirst, so we are probably not as far off as you think.

For me coach of the year would go to Watson, especially if Salford make that top 5.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm
Posted by Kirmudgeonly on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 pm
Kirmudgeonly Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 98
Rep Position: 211th / 77,858

bren2k wrote:
I don't buy this at all. What we've tried to do with PP is have him behave like a pro athlete, and deliver value - and he's refused to do that; a few short range tries for Salford doesn't change anything.

For me, he's another of those players with all the gear and no idea, .

Its quite remarkable only two years ago he played his first game at HKR and despite strapping and leg supports he received a standing ovation from the fans after the game - that was probably the high point of his time with us.

As most of us think we would rather see local lads given it a 110 percent than a potential star giving it 80% - personally dont think he will do much at salford either - after all he was playing to secure a contract

Thought one of the many reasons we have all taken big dave and tiny to our hearts was shown this weekend when they were sat in the stands with the fans
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm
Posted by phe13 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm
phe13 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 94
Rep Position: 215th / 77,858

homme vaste wrote:
Think that is a bit harsh, its clear to see the work that Ward has done in analysing the teams London have come up against and how he has tactically changed his game plan for every game more or less to target weaknesses in teams, to answer your question about the spend, who knows? But he only had a few additions from his championship team! That said, it would be quite ironic to give the coach of the year to a coach who has had his team relegated (Looking likely) with this being a results business, unfortunately it would be seen as Ward has failed.

Also I would not say we are "No were near the salary cap" we were 340k below at the beginning of the season.

Since then we have signed Tanginoa, MCB (Albeit has now gone) Tangata, Atkins and taken Escare and Green on loan and let go Huby and Hirst, so we are probably not as far off as you think.

For me coach of the year would go to Watson, especially if Salford make that top 5.

plus Horo and Baldwinson
PreviousNext