WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Start to the season

Board index Super League Wakefield Trinity Start to the season

Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:03 pm
Posted by wakefield1990 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:03 pm
wakefield1990 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 62
Rep Position: 181st / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 pm
Posts: 169
How does everyone see our start to season going? Obviously we got away to a flyer last season winning 4 from 4.

I believe more consistency is required if we are going to achieve top 5, too often last year we won a few games, lost a few, won a few etc.

With the squad we have now id like to think we are going into every game thinking we can win (home & away) rather than just hoping we keep the scoreboard below 40. To be honest this has been the same over the last couple of seasons.

London (A) - Should be a comfortable win however always difficult to play the team promoted in the first game of the season

Saints (H) - We beat them last year in red hot form so no reason why we can't repeat this. Don't get me wrong a big test but home form is important.

Catalan (H) - Always seem to struggle at home against Catalan (from memory) however its known they don't travel well. I'd like to think we can win this one.

Leeds (A) - I always enjoy a night game at Leeds. They have signed well but is it too early for them to gel as a team? Definatley a winnable game.

What would people be happy with from the first 4 games? In my mind its 2/4 minimum?
Re: Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:26 pm
Posted by Trojan Horse on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:26 pm
Trojan Horse Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 32
Rep Position: 211th / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 2977
I think if we are targeting top 5 we should be looking at 3 wins from those. If the players want to get in the finals then they have the ability. It’s all about whether we match it with the attitude and mentality going into the games. We have been slowly progressing and we are at that point this season imo. We either push on or regress somewhat. The only way to push on is make the finals. Anything less than a 5th place finish will be below par.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
Re: Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:11 pm
Posted by vastman on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:11 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 921
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 28938
Location: Poodle Power!
wakefield1990 wrote:
How does everyone see our start to season going? Obviously we got away to a flyer last season winning 4 from 4.

I believe more consistency is required if we are going to achieve top 5, too often last year we won a few games, lost a few, won a few etc.

With the squad we have now id like to think we are going into every game thinking we can win (home & away) rather than just hoping we keep the scoreboard below 40. To be honest this has been the same over the last couple of seasons.

London (A) - Should be a comfortable win however always difficult to play the team promoted in the first game of the season

Saints (H) - We beat them last year in red hot form so no reason why we can't repeat this. Don't get me wrong a big test but home form is important.

Catalan (H) - Always seem to struggle at home against Catalan (from memory) however its known they don't travel well. I'd like to think we can win this one.

Leeds (A) - I always enjoy a night game at Leeds. They have signed well but is it too early for them to gel as a team? Definatley a winnable game.

What would people be happy with from the first 4 games? In my mind its 2/4 minimum?


I think we need to win a minimum of two of those any more would be a great start to the season.

London is a game I'd be hugely disapointed if we lost - I know newly promoted teams are sometimes dangerous and boy do we always get them but the London squad is one of the weakest I've seen in years and we really shouldn't be losing to them.

I think we are owed the Saints game but of course life isn't like that - it is however the game I'd most like us to win after London.

Catalan - you just never know what you're going to get but it will be cold and grey when they come and i don't think they like it.

Leeds - see them being better this year and hard to beat at home, however with a much larger local content in the team this year passions may be raised.


What I do know is that the season is never over after four games no matter what the results - look at Catalan last year for that or even us a few year back.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm
Posted by Redscat on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm
Redscat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 160
Rep Position: 101st / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:10 pm
Posts: 1229
That was the one big bug bear to last season in my opinion - we couldn't maintain the consistency of our performances like other clubs.
Saints, Wigan and Warrington all seemed to be consistently winning.
Re: Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Posted by PopTart on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 605
Rep Position: 8th / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 11366
Location: wakefield
Remember Catalan have quite a few English players in key positions now so I don't think the weather is going to bother them as much as it has in the past.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Start to the season
Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm
Posted by vastman on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 921
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 28938
Location: Poodle Power!
PopTart wrote:
Remember Catalan have quite a few English players in key positions now so I don't think the weather is going to bother them as much as it has in the past.


Perhaps so but I’d still rather them now than when it warms up a bit.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Re: Start to the season
Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 am
Posted by PopTart on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 am
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 605
Rep Position: 8th / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 11366
Location: wakefield
vastman wrote:
Perhaps so but I’d still rather them now than when it warms up a bit.


Fair point.
And thinking about it, both Leeds and Sts have big new signings.
Better to get them before they settle in.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: Start to the season
Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 am
Posted by wrencat1873 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 812
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,598

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 11353
I'll take a win at London in our first game and go from there.
Hopefully with the "super 8's" now consigned to the scrap heap, we can concentrate on getting as close to the top of the pile as possible, without the spectre of the middle 8's looming in the background.
Just about every club seems stronger than last season, although London will have to go some to avoid a quick return to The Championship and Salford look a little weaker than most. However, with the exception of Warrington and Saints, pretty much all clubs have a chance of pushing for the top 4.
If only the clowns in charge could sell the concept of such a competitive competition to the masses (and TV companies), we'd be doing alright.


Come on Trin !

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 97 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wakefield Trinity


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,893,39062277,5984,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Sat 25th May 14:00
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sat 1st Jun 15:15
CC2019
ST.HELENS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 7th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 16th Jun 15:00
SLXXIV
SALFORD
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 21st Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WAKEFIELD
Thu 27th Jun 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 6th Jul 17:00
SLXXIV
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 12th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 18th Jul 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 2nd Aug 19:45
SLXXIV
ST.HELENS
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 11th Aug 15:00
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
HULL FC
Sun 18th Aug 15:00
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 1st Sep 15:00
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 6th Sep 19:45
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 15th Sep 15:00
SLXXIV
WAKEFIELD
v
LONDON BRONCOS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






33