Re: Hampshire v Williams
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:59 pm
Posted by wakefieldwall on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:59 pm
wakefieldwall Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 142
Rep Position: 156th / 77,790

Quiz Score: 0

Williams patchy for England at 7 but he had a very good year for Wigan after having gone off the boil the previous season. He may well well come good at international level but a) unfairly bagged over Sunday b) does he get a look in if Tomkins and Widdop are both fit? Was unsure on Tomkins initial selection at 7 but proved wrong, should have known better :)

Myler was a waste of time and if the Knights weren't touring one of the youngsters would have been in. Would rather have played Ratchford at 1 or 6 on Sunday than have Myler in the side against NZ.
What would a Cockney know about rugby league?
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm
Posted by tigertot on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 538
Rep Position: 21st / 77,790

Quiz Score: 308

I have been critical of Williams all series, but he's the best available at the present. He has been poor for last 2 seasons but prior to that showed consistent signs he was international class. Whereas Hampshire is lucky to be considered SL class given his erratic career. There is no comparison ATM.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
Posted by bellycouldtackle on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
bellycouldtackle Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 110
Rep Position: 180th / 77,790

Williams is an excellent talent, Rocky is better as I believe he is blessed with greater God given talents. Have a look at the England Academy tour highlights from 2012, Rocky was the stand out player on both sides. They both set of on the same path to stardom, Williams got the breaks. For whatever reason Wane, who has proved to be the greatest coach in SL history and a coach who has never been frightened of promoting youth, never gave Rocky a fair crack, he persisted in playing Smith. So Williams and Rocky`s paths went in different directions. My bet is that Rocky ends up a world class RL super star, his path will have been the more difficult but it will I think leave him better prepared to reach world RL superstar status. I also think Chester has a big role to play, Rocky should be a starting 7, Rough should be a back up player to cover 6, 7 and 1 in case of injury.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm
Posted by homme vaste on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 394
Rep Position: 43rd / 77,790

Quiz Score: 184

bellycouldtackle wrote:
Williams is an excellent talent, Rocky is better as I believe he is blessed with greater God given talents. Have a look at the England Academy tour highlights from 2012, Rocky was the stand out player on both sides. They both set of on the same path to stardom, Williams got the breaks. For whatever reason Wane, who has proved to be the greatest coach in SL history and a coach who has never been frightened of promoting youth, never gave Rocky a fair crack, he persisted in playing Smith. So Williams and Rocky`s paths went in different directions. My bet is that Rocky ends up a world class RL super star, his path will have been the more difficult but it will I think leave him better prepared to reach world RL superstar status. I also think Chester has a big role to play, Rocky should be a starting 7, Rough should be a back up player to cover 6, 7 and 1 in case of injury.

If Hampshire is better than Brough and/or brings more to the team currently then he plays, if not he does not, quite simple for me. Chester does not owe anything to anyone and should be picking what he believes to be his best team.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am
Posted by tigertot on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 538
Rep Position: 21st / 77,790

Quiz Score: 308

bellycouldtackle wrote:
Williams is an excellent talent, Rocky is better as I believe he is blessed with greater God given talents.

Apart from quicker pace I am not sure what better talents Hampshire possess. He's certainly kept them well hidden for the last 5 years.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am
Posted by bren2k on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 590
Rep Position: 19th / 77,790

I don't see how it's possible to say that Hampshire is better than Williams, since he's only really started in that position for us recently - whereas Williams has been Wigan's first choice for quite a while; he may well turn out to be, but since he's been held back for various reasons, he's quite some way behind Williams at this stage.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am
Posted by vastman on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 954
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,790

bellycouldtackle wrote:

I'm sorry but Hampshires ability as a junior are now utterly irrelevant - loads of players look great at Academy level but never hack it against the misters.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am
Posted by Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 372
Rep Position: 50th / 77,790

vastman wrote:
I'm sorry but Hampshires ability as a junior are now utterly irrelevant - loads of players look great at Academy level but never hack it against the misters.

Dare you say Annakin? :wink:
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years"

Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance

2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
Posted by vastman on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

bren2k wrote:
I don't see how it's possible to say that Hampshire is better than Williams, since he's only really started in that position for us recently - whereas Williams has been Wigan's first choice for quite a while; he may well turn out to be, but since he's been held back for various reasons, he's quite some way behind Williams at this stage.

That wasn't really my point, it was more why we seem to persist with some players and not with others.

Of course Williams is currently better and so he should be he's been a SL regular for a number of years. However there is the rub and where I disagree with you. Williams is nowhere near as good as he should be at this point in his career as he gets exposed in every international he plays in.

Problem is he's functional which works at club level but he isn't inspirational as required at international level. Name me a single thing he did in any of the three tests? Maybe one try assist. We need so much more than that but we have absolutely no options.

At least Hampshire provides flashes of individual genius, I just never see that in Williams.

Basically I'm just sick of robotic system driven players used at the top levels of the UK game. What I want is far more strong willed, cocky and independent minded individuals.
Last edited by vastman on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
Posted by vastman on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
vastman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo wrote:
Dare you say Annakin? :wink: