Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 am
Posted by Miro on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 am
Miro User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 29
Rep Position: 212th / 77,606

Quiz Score: 0

Free, cheap, mini deals, food outlets etc are all well and good but the bottom line is very few people are aware of Trinity in and around this city of ours. Unless you look on the back pages of the WE, that's assuming you even buy the WE, or have Sky sports then other than the memory banks of the old uns Trinity may as well not exist. Can anyone tell me how are they, the general population or even lapsed supporters, supposed to know when we play, who we play, who our "stars" are ? My wife works in the Ridings and she is astonished that there is no visible promotion of either rugby league or Wakefield Trinity. For instance, on match days or leading up to the games there isn't even a poster in the Trinity shop window, or so she informed me. And yes, many lapsed supporters have lost interest due to this factor and the ground situation where no news just gives the impression no one cares. I say impression because I know people involved with the club do care. But it's an impression nevertheless.
I know MC said there was no funds to market the club, but that was in the early days when he was trying to put the club on an even keel. But now I believe the club needs to be marketed as does the whole game, hence the Hearn input.
Talking of e mails. Anyone remember when the club used to post fans a match day poster in order for us to print out and display ? A good idea and didn't cost the club a penny.

Anyone who watches "Backchat" will have heard the veiled criticism from one of the panelists, of our match day experience compared to Castlefords. Embarrassing actually.
Re: Attendance / Atmosphere
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 am
Posted by Miro on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 am
Miro User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

wakey warrior wrote:
A good way to increase fans to come along is to win something & for that as Chester says We need some quality players in key positions but we don't want to spend the cap being 5th/6th does not create interest

We could sign Billy Slater but if the wider public are unaware of the fact it wouldn't matter a hoot regarding increased attendance, not past 5000 anyway.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 am
Posted by Kevs Head on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 am
Kevs Head Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 216th / 77,606

Regarding awareness of the club.
“Welcome to Wakefield - the home of Wakefield Trinty RLFC”
Could sponsors be found to fund signs like this on the main roads in to the city, the bus station and Westgate/Kirkgate stations?
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:23 am
Posted by wakey warrior on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:23 am
wakey warrior Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 225th / 77,606

That's a good idea Kev but we need the "Star" players to highten the clubs profile. But were just not willing to go that extra mile & I think were kind of boasting now ( If that's the right word) everytime were on television or Facebook about not having any funds to do it or should I say not wanting to spend the cap. That's not going to excite the wakefield public. Who wants to hear that. That's not going to bring anybody in
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm
Posted by Prince Buster on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm
Prince Buster User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 119
Rep Position: 126th / 77,606

Couple of points.

Firstly reduced prices and freebies don't work. We found that out with Glover and if that is not enough for you, remember that was also the start of the demise of Bradford. Still not convinced, then look at Huddersfield they have massive give away deals and their gates are worse than ours.

Secondly regarding City awareness, again I don't agree. Yet again I called into a local boozer after the game and it was reasonably full.

We had our Wakey colours on and just about everyone in the pub were interested how WE had gone on.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:49 pm
Posted by FickleFingerOfFate on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:49 pm
FickleFingerOfFate User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 84
Rep Position: 157th / 77,606

wakey warrior wrote:
That's a good idea Kev but we need the "Star" players to highten the clubs profile. But were just not willing to go that extra mile & I think were kind of boasting now ( If that's the right word) everytime were on television or Facebook about not having any funds to do it or should I say not wanting to spend the cap. That's not going to excite the wakefield public. Who wants to hear that. That's not going to bring anybody in

So David Fifita isn't that 'star' player?
Could sign a 'star' player with a history of drug taking, who only uses the club to see off his suspension, so he can return to the NRL?
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Posted by wtid71 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:07 pm
wtid71 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 22
Rep Position: 219th / 77,606

FickleFingerOfFate wrote:
So David Fifita isn't that 'star' player?
Could sign a 'star' player with a history of drug taking, who only uses the club to see off his suspension, so he can return to the NRL?

Was just thinking the same thing before you posted. With Big Dave, Pauli Pauli, Tom & Bill Tupou to name but a few signed up for 2109 our season could be written in the 'stars'.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm
Posted by TheMightyTrin on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm
TheMightyTrin Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 216th / 77,606

Prince Buster wrote:
We had our Wakey colours on and just about everyone in the pub were interested how WE had gone on.

The issue is they weren't interested enough to go.... or even look on their phones
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm
Posted by Miro on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:19 pm
Miro User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Prince Buster wrote:
Couple of points.

Firstly reduced prices and freebies don't work. We found that out with Glover and if that is not enough for you, remember that was also the start of the demise of Bradford. Still not convinced, then look at Huddersfield they have massive give away deals and their gates are worse than ours.

Secondly regarding City awareness, again I don't agree. Yet again I called into a local boozer after the game and it was reasonably full.

But did they know there was a game on before you walked in. I would suggest it was quite a small sample of the wakey public, small pub too if you managed to get feedback from just about "everyone".
No, the club / game needs to do more.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:59 pm
Posted by LyndsayGill on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:59 pm
LyndsayGill User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 109
Rep Position: 135th / 77,606

Quiz Score: 284

wakey warrior wrote:
A good way to increase fans to come along is to win something & for that as Chester says We need some quality players in key positions but we don't want to spend the cap being 5th/6th does not create interest

I think it's more a case of can't, rather than don't want to. I'm sure MC would love to be able to spend up to cap.
The mind is like a parachute. If it's not open it won't work. - Frank Zappa
PreviousNext