Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 00:0326th Apr 24 14:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:35 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I considered just going having a beer behind the stand in the first half because I couldn't be bothered watching him anymore.

One thing I will say though, is that every ref has battered us so far, so we probably need to do better ourselves. We're right up near the top of the penalties conceded table yet we've played a game less. I think we're averaging about 10 per game and that is far too high, even if the refs are in that mode of testing out the new whistles they got for Christmas.

It at least goes against the old line that the best teams get all the calls. It's worlds away from the days of Leeds conceding a couple of penalties a game and the refs apologising to Peacock and Sinfield when handing them out.

We do need to be better, I agree. Whatever the reason, you don't want to be hanging around the top end of the table for pens conceded at any time. It's hard to be too critical though as there's been so much inconsistency in the reffing that it must be hard to earmark and correct areas when they're not a penalty one week, then are the next. Someone else has mentioned Dupree actually asking the ref for help on what he needed to do to not concede a penalty and where exactly he should stand not to be penalised. The ref didn't seem to offer any assistance which makes it doubly bad.

When you're being penalised for playing the ball correctly or standing square (the ref seemed unable to tell the difference between not square and peering round first marker so you can see the play the ball!) how are you supposed to correct that? Play the ball even more correctly? Line your head and arms with the first marker so you only create a single outline? It's absolutely barmy!

Incidentally, isn't it interesting that no one deems it worthy of note that the ref sent an obvious 'no try' up as 'try' and the video ref was unable to find sufficient evidence to overturn it. Was it because it went against us rather than for us? Or the Mago try being ruled out without it even being referred to the video ref! :shock: :lol:
RankPostsTeam
International Star3869
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years113th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 20:2824th Apr 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:36 am  
Cruncher wrote:
I find it a bit suspicious that while we seem to have worked on tackling technique, trying to bring our shots down onto the body rather than up around the shoulders, we are suddenly getting pinged for lots of technicals. I'm not saying that referees are bent, but some of them just can't seem to let the game flow.

There are certain things that really need to change. The levelling up of penalty counts, etc. If a referee wants to know what the penalty count is, he should keep it himself ... and not ask for it from some stats man. Why does he even to know? If he's doing his job properly, it's irrelevant what the penalty count is.

It's the what I call situational pens that drive me nuts. Perfect example is a markers not square type pen. There was one Vs Hudds where our guys were both slightly over to the short side and Hudds went open. It was an obvious disadvantage to us, but he still give the pen. The situation had no impact on either, Hudds ability to attack, or the wider flow of the game. It was just a moronic, binary decisions with no feel/thinking for the game, or anyone else apart from his own box ticking exercise.

People wanting to watch a game of rugby break out? F them, we've got pens to give. People supporting their team and wanting to see fair decisions (Mago no try)? F them, it's more important the ref backs himself than making a right call.

In every sense of the word, they really are pathetic.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7735
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 18:4223rd Apr 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:06 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
It's the what I call situational pens that drive me nuts. Perfect example is a markers not square type pen. There was one Vs Hudds where our guys were both slightly over to the short side and Hudds went open. It was an obvious disadvantage to us, but he still give the pen. The situation had no impact on either, Hudds ability to attack, or the wider flow of the game. It was just a moronic, binary decisions with no feel/thinking for the game, or anyone else apart from his own box ticking exercise.

People wanting to watch a game of rugby break out? F them, we've got pens to give. People supporting their team and wanting to see fair decisions (Mago no try)? F them, it's more important the ref backs himself than making a right call.

In every sense of the word, they really are pathetic.

Whilst agreeing with some of your points and often get frustrated (certain markers not square decisions are frustrating this year as certain times players are caught not square when trying to get back to marker, where they'd be better just lying in the ruck and not being penalised), I'll be honest, some of your Rhetoric and use of language towards the officials has been for a couple of years and continues to be, pretty crap if I'm honest

Without going into detail, every coach speaks/reviews issues with the refereeing department virtually every week
A lot of the application of the rules comes.from feedback from coaches etc, but they will also continue to push/find other ways to circumvent those same rules and the application of them

I won't be getting involved in a back and forth as it's pretty clear your NEVER GOING TO BE HAPPY with anything relating to officials

But I can assure you they are right a very very very high % of the time
They apply laws and applications of the rules a very very high % of the time
And they do work with coaches/players/clubs etc and feedback is given both ways weekly.

To make certain assumptions and use language like "Moronic" is poor
Your Hudds example, players not standing square "Could" affect which way teams play and feedback has been given that teams were pushing one way at marker to encourage teams to play one way is an example
It's irrelevant which way the dummy half plays after the markers are not square, they may have played that way due to markers not being square
However this was done after consultation with coaches etc.
They are applying the law in place and application of it in consultation

Referee's and officials will always be blamed, I just think some of the language surrounding it needs to be tempered a bit.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3869
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years113th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:00 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
Whilst agreeing with some of your points and often get frustrated (certain markers not square decisions are frustrating this year as certain times players are caught not square when trying to get back to marker, where they'd be better just lying in the ruck and not being penalised), I'll be honest, some of your Rhetoric and use of language towards the officials has been for a couple of years and continues to be, pretty crap if I'm honest

Without going into detail, every coach speaks/reviews issues with the refereeing department virtually every week
A lot of the application of the rules comes.from feedback from coaches etc, but they will also continue to push/find other ways to circumvent those same rules and the application of them

I won't be getting involved in a back and forth as it's pretty clear your NEVER GOING TO BE HAPPY with anything relating to officials

But I can assure you they are right a very very very high % of the time
They apply laws and applications of the rules a very very high % of the time
And they do work with coaches/players/clubs etc and feedback is given both ways weekly.

To make certain assumptions and use language like "Moronic" is poor
Your Hudds example, players not standing square "Could" affect which way teams play and feedback has been given that teams were pushing one way at marker to encourage teams to play one way is an example
It's irrelevant which way the dummy half plays after the markers are not square, they may have played that way due to markers not being square
However this was done after consultation with coaches etc.
They are applying the law in place and application of it in consultation

Referee's and officials will always be blamed, I just think some of the language surrounding it needs to be tempered a bit.

Each to their own if you want to defend them.

Personally I can't stand them or the way they go about things. I saw an oldish video doing the rounds the other day of a Newcastle Knights skipper telling the ref he'd got it wrong and "had cost them the game". The ref saw his ar$e over it as, obviously the player isn't allowed an opinion. Thou shall not tell the truth to the ref. It might hurt his feelings.

Half the stuff I'd actually like to write about the refs wouldn't get through the filters on here. I just pray that one day we (as in the sport in the UK ) grows a backbone when it comes to them. It was refreshing to see Moore get the brunt of the Aussie media post the WCC, even tho wigan benefited from it on the night.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1356
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 13 200321 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 12:4718th Mar 24 08:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Category 3

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:19 pm  
What would you do to improve matters in the short/medium/long term?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1256
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 14 20204 years135th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 05:4019th Apr 24 11:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:26 am  
Without the refs we have no game,they make mistakes,players make mistakes,we all do.
RankPostsTeam
International Star320
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 31 201212 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 12:2614th Mar 24 14:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Just leave it to me"

Re: Thompson charged : Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:58 pm  
Cruncher wrote:

There are certain things that really need to change. The levelling up of penalty counts, etc. If a referee wants to know what the penalty count is, he should keep it himself ... and not ask for it from some stats man. Why does he even to know? If he's doing his job properly, it's irrelevant what the penalty count is.

Spot on
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3415
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years307th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 17:233rd Apr 24 20:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
No trees were harmed during the creation of this post.
However, a number of electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Saint94 wrote "Every team is in your feckin shadow....we all know." - Amen to that, brother
Saddened! wrote "We've got the worst backline in the competition, bar possibly London and Wakey. I'd swap our 1-7 with Salford in a heartbeat."

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:56 am  
Jason65 wrote:
Without the refs we have no game,they make mistakes,players make mistakes,we all do.

That's not really an argument though, is it?

"Without the players..."
"Without the fans..."
"Without the owners..."

Just because we need them in order to play the game (just like we need the others to play/finance it), doesn't excuse the fact that we really need GOOD ones - After all, they're supposed to be professionals.

In recent years, it just feels as though they've been forced to rush through a good number of poorly prepared referees, just to make up the numbers for those leaving/retiring & to now provide Video Refs for every game.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1256
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 14 20204 years135th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 05:4019th Apr 24 11:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am  
Pie Eyed wrote:
That's not really an argument though, is it?

"Without the players..."
"Without the fans..."
"Without the owners..."

Just because we need them in order to play the game (just like we need the others to play/finance it), doesn't excuse the fact that we really need GOOD ones - After all, they're supposed to be professionals.

In recent years, it just feels as though they've been forced to rush through a good number of poorly prepared referees, just to make up the numbers for those leaving/retiring & to now provide Video Refs for every game.

Didnt realise it was an argument I was just stating a fact.
The players are professionals and they also get things wrong also another fact.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3869
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years113th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Thompson charged : Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am  
Jason65 wrote:
Didnt realise it was an argument I was just stating a fact.
The players are professionals and they also get things wrong also another fact.

More facts...

The players also get graded (certainly in Wigan Today) for their performance out of 10. They get built up, knocked down, dropped etc. Look at the analysis/chatter on Snyed's short kick off. People are happy to knock him and then, in the same breath, tell you to lay off the ref as "everyone makes mistakes". It's hypocrisy at best. At worst it's robotic RL thinking that the ref is some kind of god, not to be questioned.
Last edited by sergeant pepper on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext