FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Jack Welsby
Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:21 pm  
After watching the game today i thought Billy Slater was playing the way the embarrassing commentary team went on and on. Saints fans take the mickey out of how much Jai Field is mentioned (and so he should, he is twice the player) but every game now Welsby is being spoken about in prime Inglis terms. They did the same with Trueman. Making half decent players sound like world beaters because they are English. If they are that good then where are the queues of NRL clubs?
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:35 pm  
Pie_Eyter wrote:
After watching the game today i thought Billy Slater was playing the way the embarrassing commentary team went on and on. Saints fans take the mickey out of how much Jai Field is mentioned (and so he should, he is twice the player) but every game now Welsby is being spoken about in prime Inglis terms. They did the same with Trueman. Making half decent players sound like world beaters because they are English. If they are that good then where are the queues of NRL clubs?

Wilkin could get on the US Supreme Court he’s so biased. Some temper tantrum’s from the golden baby today the ref will probably get banned for child neglect
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:45 pm  
He’s a really good player Welsby but I always think back to how opposition fans used to get eat up about the praise Sam Tomkins would get from the Sky team early in his career and they would say he was overrated. This was around the time in 2012 when Tomkins scored 28 try’s and made 33 assists in a season. Welsby for my money gets the most praise of any individual since then and he’s got 6 try’s and 17 assists so far this season. As I say he’s a really good player but there’s no doubt his billing from the Sky team outweighs his actual level of talent. He was a real mixed bag tonight, some top stuff but some really messy stuff as well.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:50 pm  
It was a sick-fest, to be honest.

Welsby's a good player, but he isn't worthy of all this adulation.

We had years of Eddie and Stevo toadying to Keiron Cunningham and Paul Wellens (again, good players, but massively overrated by the Sky Sports commentators, despite never making any notable impression on the Aussies), and now we've got it with Wilkin and whoever the other fella is, and Jack Welsby.

That was really embarrassing, this evening. Welsby did good things, but made errors too, none of which they bothered to comment on. I wonder how long it'll be before we have another appalling "he is the best player in the world" moment?
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 pm  
On a side note, if we can get the win tomorrow, it’s set up lovely for next week in Newcastle. They’ll be sore, not only from tonight but from that semi final and we’ll need to be extremely good to take the points.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:06 pm  
If there was any doubt, tonight shows how important it is to finish above Catalan's. Any team going there in the playoffs will be right up against it.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
If there was any doubt, tonight shows how important it is to finish above Catalan's. Any team going there in the playoffs will be right up against it.

True that. In the grand scheme of things tonight wasn’t a great result for us. The LLS is a none event and it’s all about finishing top 2 IMO. We could’ve done with Saints getting the win and then if we do the business tomorrow, it would’ve opened a nice cushion.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:25 pm  
I don’t mind the praise for Welsby, cracking player so deserves it. Sky talk up French and Field just as much.

I really like Wilkin in studio but he was a disaster in the commentary box, he made Phil Clarke look impartial!

A win tomorrow and a win next week we’ll be joint top despite taking 2 weeks off pre Spurs.

Like NK says Saints will be a wounded animal next week and I expect Percival and Hurrell to return so will be stronger. They gave it a good go tonight.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:26 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
True that. In the grand scheme of things tonight wasn’t a great result for us. The LLS is a none event and it’s all about finishing top 2 IMO. We could’ve done with Saints getting the win and then if we do the business tomorrow, it would’ve opened a nice cushion.

Outside of seeing Saints get beat, I couldn't help thinking it was a bad result for us. With Hudds dropping points last night, we could have done with a Cat's loss too.
Re: Jack Welsby : Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:36 pm  
Absolutely no doubt he can play but he always looks on the verge of really losing it with the ref if a decision goes against him, Woolf needs to have a word with him before it happens
Next