RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wakefield away
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 387
Member for 1 year
NickyKiss wrote:
With him banned and Dodd injured it’s pretty much a selection crisis. I just saw a Saints fan bemoaning their luck on Twitter, strong how tough they’re doing it and asking if they’ll ever be able to field a full strength team. When does anybody get to do that? It’s so so rare for every other side.


Not really. Its the constant changes in the backline that is killing us. Mock all you like but we had Hopoate, Percival, Hurrell, Dodd, LMS out on Saturday and then lost Makinson during the game, all of whom make the first choice 17.

Yes Catalans were missing a few too however they had six of their seven starting backs all playing, first choice front row and Whitley in the back row. All our injuries are mainly in the backs.

The annoying part about Saturday was that it was obvious Napa and McIllorum would receive bans (refer to tribunal and 3 games respectively) yet only Warrington will benefit. We don't, at least one should have been a red card and its the inconsistency that's annoying as earlier in the season, one or both would've walked.

You could argue that Wigan's changes have made you stronger. Certainly KPP replacing Thornley and Smith coming in are two examples where the replacements are better than the initial first choice players.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:49 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:49 pm  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 8427
Location: Edinburgh
Member for 18 years
Wonder if they'll start with Walmsley and Paasi to try and rack up a big lead in the opening 25. I'm surprised Woolf hasn't tried it before now - when Saints used to start with Walmsley and Thompson it would be a nightmare for their opponents.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:51 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:51 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27515
Location: WIGAN
Member for 18 years
Stu M wrote:
Not really. Its the constant changes in the backline that is killing us. Mock all you like but we had Hopoate, Percival, Hurrell, Dodd, LMS out on Saturday and then lost Makinson during the game, all of whom make the first choice 17.

Yes Catalans were missing a few too however they had six of their seven starting backs all playing, first choice front row and Whitley in the back row. All our injuries are mainly in the backs.

The annoying part about Saturday was that it was obvious Napa and McIllorum would receive bans (refer to tribunal and 3 games respectively) yet only Warrington will benefit. We don't, at least one should have been a red card and its the inconsistency that's annoying as earlier in the season, one or both would've walked.

You could argue that Wigan's changes have made you stronger. Certainly KPP replacing Thornley and Smith coming in are two examples where the replacements are better than the initial first choice players.


All in jest and in the spirit of Derby week. I wouldn’t say you’ve had it tough in comparison to some teams but it’s certainly been tougher than recent seasons for you and disruptive. We’ve done the Saints injury debate to death but there’s no doubt in my mind that this season has been a poor one by Saints recent standards when it comes to injury luck but you’ve still probably one of the lesser disrupted clubs (as have we).

I don’t recall the Lees incident tbh although as I said earlier, I think he’s quite sloppy with his technique sometimes. I don’t ever think he’s dirty as such but he makes so much contact with his shoulder and when shoulder charges are banned, he does well to avoid much scrutiny. Ligi Sao at Hull FC is even worse and very rarely seems to get pinned.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:59 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:59 pm  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4637
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Member for 16 years
Stu M wrote:
Not really. Its the constant changes in the backline that is killing us. Mock all you like but we had Hopoate, Percival, Hurrell, Dodd, LMS out on Saturday and then lost Makinson during the game, all of whom make the first choice 17.

Yes Catalans were missing a few too however they had six of their seven starting backs all playing, first choice front row and Whitley in the back row. All our injuries are mainly in the backs.

The annoying part about Saturday was that it was obvious Napa and McIllorum would receive bans (refer to tribunal and 3 games respectively) yet only Warrington will benefit. We don't, at least one should have been a red card and its the inconsistency that's annoying as earlier in the season, one or both would've walked.

You could argue that Wigan's changes have made you stronger. Certainly KPP replacing Thornley and Smith coming in are two examples where the replacements are better than the initial first choice players.

To be fair though Stu, we had this conversation pre season and were mocked by some for saying our depth was better than yours. I remember FTV being quite scathing about it being average replacements for average players. Well i really don't think (as you quite rightly say) that the likes of Smith and KPP have been average or that French for Field at fullback, for example, has been average player for average player. In fact we're talking some of the best players in Superleague thus far. It's hardly surprising that some are taking the opportunity to throw a few back at (some) Saints fans.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:11 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:11 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 387
Member for 1 year
Phuzzy wrote:
To be fair though Stu, we had this conversation pre season and were mocked by some for saying our depth was better than yours. I remember FTV being quite scathing about it being average replacements for average players. Well i really don't think (as you quite rightly say) that the likes of Smith and KPP have been average or that French for Field at fullback, for example, has been average player for average player. In fact we're talking some of the best players in Superleague thus far. It's hardly surprising that some are taking the opportunity to throw a few back at (some) Saints fans.


I get it mate. We are there to be shot at no doubt. We’ve definitely lost some of the at times “invincibility” we had and the chopping and changing every week has added to that. Unless we get a settled side we’ll struggle to do the 4 in a row although admittedly we are still exceptionally hard to beat.

It’s why Roby didn’t fall for Peets praise a few weeks ago when he was fawning over Saints and said Wigan are still some way behind. They aren’t far behind at all and are more than capable of winning the comp this season.

I actually feel you’ll win on Saturday too, may have too much pace for us. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be confident in a knock out game or GF with a full side but I can see us losing a close one on Saturday.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:13 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:13 pm  

ralvag wrote:
ralvag Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:44 pm
Posts: 148
Member for 3 years
It's an absolute no-brainer not to change the spine around when we're in good form and leave things just as they are, especially for such a big game. Only point for debate here IMO is whom out of Tommy & Cust gets the bench spot. Personally (on the basis they're both fit) I'd go with Tommy. Ultimate big game player & steady head...without him we wouldn't have won the cup.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:41 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:41 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27515
Location: WIGAN
Member for 18 years
ralvag wrote:
It's an absolute no-brainer not to change the spine around when we're in good form and leave things just as they are, especially for such a big game. Only point for debate here IMO is whom out of Tommy & Cust gets the bench spot. Personally (on the basis they're both fit) I'd go with Tommy. Ultimate big game player & steady head...without him we wouldn't have won the cup.


Sounds like Tommy is done for a few weeks with a calf problem but Cust may be in contention.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:41 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:41 pm  
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am
Posts: 281
Member for 6 years
Stu M wrote:
I get it mate. We are there to be shot at no doubt. We’ve definitely lost some of the at times “invincibility” we had and the chopping and changing every week has added to that. Unless we get a settled side we’ll struggle to do the 4 in a row although admittedly we are still exceptionally hard to beat.

It’s why Roby didn’t fall for Peets praise a few weeks ago when he was fawning over Saints and said Wigan are still some way behind. They aren’t far behind at all and are more than capable of winning the comp this season.

I actually feel you’ll win on Saturday too, may have too much pace for us. That’s not to say I wouldn’t be confident in a knock out game or GF with a full side but I can see us losing a close one on Saturday.


I think I agree - but I'll wait and see what team you put out first (and to a lesser extent, see which troops we have coming back).

I still think that with close to a fully fit squad, Saints are the best team in the league by a decent margin. I think the fact that we won the last encounter, especially in the way that we did will give you another little bit of motivation. It's real progress from a Wigan perspective though that it only takes a bad (but not horrendous) set of injuries to make us favourites, as there were times last season where it looked like we were playing different sports.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:51 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:51 pm  
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am
Posts: 281
Member for 6 years
ralvag wrote:
It's an absolute no-brainer not to change the spine around when we're in good form and leave things just as they are, especially for such a big game. Only point for debate here IMO is whom out of Tommy & Cust gets the bench spot. Personally (on the basis they're both fit) I'd go with Tommy. Ultimate big game player & steady head...without him we wouldn't have won the cup.


Disagree that it's a no brainer - Smith obviously is a nailed on starter now but I think you can still make a very good case for putting Field back at fullback and move French over to the wing. Harsh on Miski but it's clearly our strongest back three, and whilst Field hasn't let anyone down in the halves, it's obviously not his strongest position.

Main worry I'd have with including Cust is that he's not played since the final, but on balance I think I'd still start him if he's ready.
Re: Wakefield away Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 pm  
Re: Wakefield away
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3911
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
At times last season we were missing our entire 1-5 as well as our first choice 7. For most of the season we had a SR in the centres. Nobody gave us any sympathy so don't expect any back. Saints are now going through what every club in the league has gone through every season.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apollosghost, Bing [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 103 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
15s
Season debrief send in your questions
easyWire
69
30s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24366
38s
Oliver Holmes
Captain Hook
41
39s
Betting in 2023
karetaker
9
41s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
1632
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
32076
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
15124
2m
Full circle
Wollo-Wollo-
39
2m
Swinton Beat Doncaster for Promotion to the Championship
RLFANS News
1
2m
Adrian Lam Comfirms Hes Here For Two More Season
Leyther in n
4
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Leigh Centurions Make It Into Super League
Cokey
2
TODAY
Swinton Beat Doncaster for Promotion to the Championship
RLFANS News
1
TODAY
News from Africa
Jack Burton
3
Random Topics selected.
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.38Million 502 79,2499,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
There are currently no matches to display.
Matches on TV
Sat 15th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
England-Samoa
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Australia-Fiji
Sun 16th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
17:00
Jamaica-Ireland
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
New Zealand-Lebanon
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
Scotland-Italy
Mon 17th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
France-Greece
Tue 18th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Tonga-Papua NG
Wed 19th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
WALES-Cook Islands
Fri 21st Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Australia-Scotland
Sat 22nd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Fiji-Italy
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
England-France
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
New Zealand-Jamaica
Sun 23rd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Lebanon-Ireland
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
France-Greece
Mon 24th Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Tonga-WALES
Tue 25th Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Papua NG-Cook Islands
Fri 28th Oct
WC2022 RND: 3
19:30
New Zealand-Ireland
Sat 29th Oct
WC2022 RND: 3
14:30
England-Greece
WC2022 RND: 3
17:00
Fiji-Scotland
WC2022 RND: 3
19:30
Australia-Italy
Sun 2nd Oct
NRL RND: 29 Penrith28-12Parramatta
L1 RND: 26 Swinton16-10Doncaster
CH RND: 30 Leigh44-12Batley
Sun 25th Sep
L1 RND: 25 Doncaster52-20Rochdale
CH RND: 29 Leigh70-10York
CH RND: 29 Featherstone28-32Batley
Sat 24th Sep
NRL RND: 28 Penrith32-12Souths
SL RND: 30 Leeds12-24St.Helens
Fri 23rd Sep
NRL RND: 28 NQL Cowboys20-24Parramatta
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 27
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Leigh 27 1306 208 1098 52
Featherstone 27 1058 468 590 47
Halifax 27 837 440 397 40
Barrow 27 759 587 172 37
Batley 27 738 551 187 36
York 27 677 596 81 36
 
Sheffield 27 699 660 39 24
Widnes 27 567 679 -112 24
Bradford 27 521 675 -154 22
Whitehaven 27 488 854 -366 19
LondonB 27 548 740 -192 17
Newcastle 27 559 877 -318 15
Dewsbury 27 385 964 -579 7
Workington 27 296 1139 -843 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Keighley 18 843 154 689 36
Crusaders 18 668 332 336 30
Swinton 18 737 281 456 28
Doncaster 18 618 392 226 26
Rochdale 18 646 451 195 24
Hunslet 18 475 462 13 17
 
Oldham 18 535 473 62 15
Midlands 18 458 632 -174 10
LondonS 18 362 705 -343 10
Cornwall 19 274 782 -508 2
West Wales 19 154 1106 -952 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 27
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 27 674 374 300 42
Wigan 27 818 483 335 38
Huddersfield 27 613 497 116 35
Catalans 27 539 513 26 32
Leeds 27 577 528 49 29
Salford 27 700 602 98 28
 
Castleford 27 544 620 -76 26
Hull KR 27 498 608 -110 24
Hull FC 27 508 675 -167 22
Wakefield 27 497 648 -151 20
Warrington 27 568 664 -96 18
Toulouse 27 421 745 -324 10
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2022 ROUND : 24
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Penrith 23 628 353 275 38
Cronulla 23 535 348 187 34
Melbourne 23 704 388 316 32
NQL Cowboys 23 595 353 242 32
Parramatta 23 586 475 111 30
Sydney 23 611 416 195 28
Souths 23 588 448 140 28
Canberra 23 468 451 17 26
 
Brisbane 23 502 528 -26 26
St.George 23 445 559 -114 22
Manly 23 470 574 -104 18
Canterbury 23 362 555 -193 12
Newcastle 23 356 624 -268 12
NZ Warriors 23 382 673 -291 12
Gold Coast 23 428 634 -206 10
Wests 23 342 623 -281 8
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
15s
Season debrief send in your questions
easyWire
69
30s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24366
38s
Oliver Holmes
Captain Hook
41
39s
Betting in 2023
karetaker
9
41s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
1632
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
32076
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
15124
2m
Full circle
Wollo-Wollo-
39
2m
Swinton Beat Doncaster for Promotion to the Championship
RLFANS News
1
2m
Adrian Lam Comfirms Hes Here For Two More Season
Leyther in n
4
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Leigh Centurions Make It Into Super League
Cokey
2
TODAY
Swinton Beat Doncaster for Promotion to the Championship
RLFANS News
1
TODAY
News from Africa
Jack Burton
3
Random Topics selected.


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!