RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wakefield away
No
Team
Selected
Phuzzy
Member for 16 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4654
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:15 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
We’ve got so many options. Field has done a pretty good job at six but it’s clear as day that fullback is his best position. The way French is playing though makes it a real possibility that Field could see some time on the wing himself. You’ve then got Miski in great form, absolutely smashing metres out from our end.

Great problems to have!

I'm going to disagree slightly here NK. I think Field has been excellent at 6. He might not be scoring as many tries himself (which is to be expected from that position as opposed to fullback) but the amount of tries he's creating is just crazy! He creates so much room for everyone else and his link up play with French in the middle is on another level to anything anyone else in Superleague has.

I like Cust a lot and he's developing really well but we're running riot at times with Field at 6. I'd be tempted to give him more time there. Smith controlling the game combined with the Field threat looks really strong to me.

Check out his pass for Miski's try yesterday. Do we score that with anyone else at 6? Or the interplay with French that was ultimately pulled back for the forward pass. No other combination gives us those options.
No
Team
Selected
jonh
Member for 20 years


User avatar


Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 19185
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:11 pm  
I don’t think French is as solid as Field is in defence, caught a couple of times yesterday was French with poor efforts.

Can’t afford those kind of slip up vs Saints.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
I'm going to disagree slightly here NK. I think Field has been excellent at 6. He might not be scoring as many tries himself (which is to be expected from that position as opposed to fullback) but the amount of tries he's creating is just crazy! He creates so much room for everyone else and his link up play with French in the middle is on another level to anything anyone else in Superleague has.

I like Cust a lot and he's developing really well but we're running riot at times with Field at 6. I'd be tempted to give him more time there. Smith controlling the game combined with the Field threat looks really strong to me.

Check out his pass for Miski's try yesterday. Do we score that with anyone else at 6? Or the interplay with French that was ultimately pulled back for the forward pass. No other combination gives us those options.


There’s certainly two sides to it and I’m not saying he’s been poor by any stretch at 6, he is playing very well but his form at fullback was incredible and I don’t think it’s wrong to consider it his best position. It’s a bit like Sam Tomkins in his Wigan prime IMO. He would do a more than adequate job at 6 but the space the fullback role gives him and the opportunities it opens up to use his pace is invaluable. I think Jonh makes a good point about his defence as well. It was a side of his game we probably didn’t expect due to his size but he was terrific there. We won’t lose any sleep over his position though. It’s just brilliant to have the option to play him at 1 or 6 and know you have French, Cust, Tommy etc to fit in around him.
No
Team
Selected
Phuzzy
Member for 16 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4654
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:36 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
There’s certainly two sides to it and I’m not saying he’s been poor by any stretch at 6, he is playing very well but his form at fullback was incredible and I don’t think it’s wrong to consider it his best position. It’s a bit like Sam Tomkins in his Wigan prime IMO. He would do a more than adequate job at 6 but the space the fullback role gives him and the opportunities it opens up to use his pace is invaluable. I think Jonh makes a good point about his defence as well. It was a side of his game we probably didn’t expect due to his size but he was terrific there. We won’t lose any sleep over his position though. It’s just brilliant to have the option to play him at 1 or 6 and know you have French, Cust, Tommy etc to fit in around him.

True although I would raise the question of whether his form at fullback was better than Bevan's current form there. Different, definitely, but better? They've both been fantastic there and I think Field has probably been better at 6 than French on the wing. Not that either option has been bad, of course! :D

We're in a great position at the moment. It's staggering to think that yesterday, if we include the non use of Bibby, we had 6 players from our start of the season first choice 17 not playing, including both halves and all 3 centres!
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3952
Location: Watching Rugby League
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
It's staggering to think that yesterday, if we include the non use of Bibby, we had 6 players from our start of the season first choice 17 not playing, including both halves and all 3 centres!


:SHHH: We're not allowed to mention injuries and playing players out of position.
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:26 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
True although I would raise the question of whether his form at fullback was better than Bevan's current form there. Different, definitely, but better? They've both been fantastic there and I think Field has probably been better at 6 than French on the wing. Not that either option has been bad, of course! :D

We're in a great position at the moment. It's staggering to think that yesterday, if we include the non use of Bibby, we had 6 players from our start of the season first choice 17 not playing, including both halves and all 3 centres!


To have a debate about the merits of Field or French at fullback and where to fit in Cust and Leuluai is something that just makes me smile. What a problem to have!

It’s staggering to compare that debate to last years debates of how we could possibly score 10+ points a game. There’s plenty of improvements to be made yet but we’ve come so far already.
apollosghost
Member for 13 years
Free-scoring winger




Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 2248
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:43 pm  
No disciplinary issues from the game, Lees has picked up a 1 match ban for Saints, (awaits the conspiracy thread to begin on RV) :D
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:20 pm  
apollosghost wrote:
No disciplinary issues from the game, Lees has picked up a 1 match ban for Saints, (awaits the conspiracy thread to begin on RV) :D


He’s done well to make it this far without a ban. His technique tackling and running the ball is pretty dodgy. To say shoulder charges are apparently banned, he’s done well to avoid too much trouble.
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3952
Location: Watching Rugby League
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:48 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
He’s done well to make it this far without a ban. His technique tackling and running the ball is pretty dodgy. To say shoulder charges are apparently banned, he’s done well to avoid too much trouble.


Funny how they finally pull him against Wigan. Typical RFL giving Wigan a chance.
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Wakefield away : Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
Funny how they finally pull him against Wigan. Typical RFL giving Wigan a chance.


With him banned and Dodd injured it’s pretty much a selection crisis. I just saw a Saints fan bemoaning their luck on Twitter, strong how tough they’re doing it and asking if they’ll ever be able to field a full strength team. When does anybody get to do that? It’s so so rare for every other side.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 167 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
3s
Shaw and Croft
The Avenger
110
22s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
2322
40s
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
chapylad
4345
57s
Captain 2023
Shabino
14
1m
2023 squad numbers
jools
10
1m
Stadium and other issues
Khlav Kalash
599
1m
UK Asylum seekers
Scarlet Pimp
170
1m
Ex-player and ex-coach news
John_D
265
1m
Shopping List 2023
Dave K.
3394
1m
Squad numbers - full list in first post
Khlav Kalash
119
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Tony Sutton
Armavinit
2
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Harrison
sally cinnam
20
TODAY
2023 squad numbers
jools
10
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6447
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2387
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3316
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2079
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2161
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2606
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4978
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2446
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3048
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2947
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2890
England Top Group A With Big W..
2594
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3638
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3644
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2959
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,548 ↑2979,3209,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 18th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
13:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Thu 9th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
 
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
3s
Shaw and Croft
The Avenger
110
22s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
2322
40s
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
chapylad
4345
57s
Captain 2023
Shabino
14
1m
2023 squad numbers
jools
10
1m
Stadium and other issues
Khlav Kalash
599
1m
UK Asylum seekers
Scarlet Pimp
170
1m
Ex-player and ex-coach news
John_D
265
1m
Shopping List 2023
Dave K.
3394
1m
Squad numbers - full list in first post
Khlav Kalash
119
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Tony Sutton
Armavinit
2
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Harrison
sally cinnam
20
TODAY
2023 squad numbers
jools
10
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6447
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2387
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3316
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2079
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2161
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2606
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4978
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2446
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3048
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2947
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2890
England Top Group A With Big W..
2594
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3638
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3644
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2959


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!