Re: Wigan peerless Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 pm  

Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 14 years
Stanfax wrote:
One story I remember hearing from him more than once was a bit more recent (relatively speaking), when we beat Huddersfield in the Championship Final in 1950, with eight players on the boat to Australia. Mind-boggling achievement when you think about it!

When asked the clubs best ever win virtually every fan will say versus Manley or Brisbane away in WCC matches but the 1950 win is by far and above the best win in the club's history. To win without 8 senior international players including your captain against an extremely strong Huddersfield (we finished top & Huddersfield came second) containing Lionel Cooper who at the time was the most prolific try scorer in the competition was incredible. We even kept them tryless!!

What was also mind boggling was that the crowd was over 65000
My owd feller went to the game expecting a tonking but hoped that a team coached by Sullivan could pull something out of the ordinary to pull off a win.
Re: Wigan peerless Sun May 29, 2022 10:07 pm  
Sun May 29, 2022 10:07 pm  

Jason65 wrote:
Jason65 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Member for 2 years
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
When asked the clubs best ever win virtually every fan will say versus Manley or Brisbane away in WCC matches but the 1950 win is by far and above the best win in the club's history. To win without 8 senior international players including your captain against an extremely strong Huddersfield (we finished top & Huddersfield came second) containing Lionel Cooper who at the time was the most prolific try scorer in the competition was incredible. We even kept them tryless!!

What was also mind boggling was that the crowd was over 65000
My owd feller went to the game expecting a tonking but hoped that a team coached by Sullivan could pull something out of the ordinary to pull off a win.

We have SOME history as a club
Re: Wigan peerless Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 pm  
Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 pm  

moto748 wrote:
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 8 years
Indeed. I've enjoyed reading this thread a lot.
Re: Wigan peerless Mon May 30, 2022 7:05 am  
Mon May 30, 2022 7:05 am  

User avatarksm1701 wrote:
ksm1701 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Location: Formerly of Whelley via The River Caves, but now in the next best thing, Chorley!
Member for 17 years
Watched it on a web browser while at work when it first came out and was very moved but last night put it on the big screen for my wife and kids and was choked from the off and was bawling by the end. Even my wife who only has a passing interest and knowledge in Wigan and RL was crying. Well done to all involved in creating it - I now know exactly what to make for my old man for Father's Day!
'Do you remember when we had that meeting in Orlando? We talked about how we were knocked out the previous year by Leeds. And at the end, I asked you one question. "Do you want to be a semi-final team? Or do you want to do something special?" You all said you wanted to win. But talking is easy – it needed you to believe. It needed you to work hard – harder than you had – and make sacrifices. You did all that. you worked for each other. You stuck together when it was tough. And because of your efforts, you sit here tonight as champions. I'm proud of you. Be proud of yourselves. You've done something special.'

Shaun Wane's post-Grand Final speech. 5th October 2013.
Previous