RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan peerless
Re: Wigan peerless Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 pm  

User avatarfleabag wrote:
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 994
Location: Rochdale
Member for 11 years
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I'd defy any Wigan fan not to love it.
Brilliantly put together and the presentation by Offiah is immaculate.

I know that there are other anniversary items to be issued during the course of the season and hope that there is one just for Jim Sullivan. As time passes by his name is lost to the very vast majority of fans which is a great pity as though we had a history pre "Sully" but it wasn't particularly illustrious and without his signing we may not have had such fantastic success over the last hundred years or so.


Yes, my Grandad used to regale us of that most memorable and it was written, our greatest ever 'threequarter line' - Leythem, Jenkins, Todd and Miller. There was a facing stone which mentioned these 4 illustrious players from the past and mostly pre -WW1 . It was as soon as you went through the turnstiles at the front of Central Park at the corner nearest the Douglas. Did this stone get re-used ?
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Re: Wigan peerless Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 pm  

User avatarfleabag wrote:
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 994
Location: Rochdale
Member for 11 years
dany1979 wrote:
Given his current position at the club I can see why he didn’t.

I think Offiah has done a great job and he has a much higher profile.



I think Martin Offiah speaks very well for this 'poem'. Outstanding !
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Re: Wigan peerless Wed May 25, 2022 3:16 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Wed May 25, 2022 3:16 pm  

Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 2457
Location: God's little acre
Member for 14 years
fleabag wrote:
Yes, my Grandad used to regale us of that most memorable and it was written, our greatest ever 'threequarter line' - Leythem, Jenkins, Todd and Miller. There was a facing stone which mentioned these 4 illustrious players from the past and mostly pre -WW1 . It was as soon as you went through the turnstiles at the front of Central Park at the corner nearest the Douglas. Did this stone get re-used ?


I've been racking my memory on that three quarter line and for the life of me I couldn't remember all of them even though my owd feller went on about as if it was the greatest backline of all time. I remembered all of them except for Miller and if I'm honest I could have tried for days to try and recall the name but I wouldn't have so I'm grateful for your posting as I was trying to think of them prior to your post.

I know that there are other issues planned for the anniversary so I'd love it if they got Bilko to go through the history of the club extracting details/data on players long forgotten but who are in essence are the club. I don't know Bilko personally but I do know his historical knowledge of the club is legendary and when he commentates on Wigan TV I really enjoy his enthusiasm and professionalism.

My old feller was born in 1903 so I was brought up on tales of The Threequarter Line, Sullivan (the "one and only"), Johnny Ring, Alf Ellaby (his scoring exploits were ridiculous), Van Rooyen, Van Heerden (I think he was famous for never wearing a hat whilst not playing), Ring (so good I've listed him twice), Syd Abram, Martin Ryan (the first "modern" fullback), Ted Ward, Jack Hilton, Cec Mountford,Tommy Bradshaw (one of my old fellers particular favourite), Ken Gee (I believe his mam was harder than him and the Aussies were terrified of Ken!), Joe Egan, Billy Blan, Brian Nordgren, Jack Cunliffe, Eric Ashton, Billy Boston (the greatest ever winger), Mick Sullivan (he'd be permanently banned in today's game), Dave Bolton (one of the fastest ever HB and had the strongest Wigan accent ever), Brian McTigue (the player who I would have loved to have seen live playing for us or GB), Roy Evans, Alan Davies (Jehovah's Witness but as hard as nails).
In more "recent" years we'd discuss the talents of Gregory and Edwards and he really rated both players (and both players fathers) but his "dream" HB pairing would have been Bradshaw & Bolton.


My owd feller used to on a part basis work in/run the Central Labour Club which was located just outside Central Park.
When I was a kid he would tell me tales about the players who went in for a pint after the game. His particular favourite was Ken Gee for tales on and off the pitch. At the very first scrum in the game Ken would ask the opposing front before they packed down "are we feyting or playing rugby today lads? Just let me know and I'll join in". Aussies were terrified of Ken but my owd feller always said Ken was more terrified of his old mam.
After one game Harry Bath (Australian second rower and quite a hardknock) was in the club and he had been sent off in the match earlier in the afternoon for biting Ken Gee. My dad was surprised and asked Bath if indeed he had actually bitten Gee. He confirmed that he did and it was the only way he could stop Gee from strangling him in the headlock that he had him in. When Gee came into the club Bath bought him a pint and they both laughed their heads off.
I know my old feller would embellish the tales (just as we all do, particularly after a few pints) but they started my love of the club and its history.
As supporters we have been extremely fortunate to have such a rich history albeit, I've seen as many bad teams/seasons as brilliant teams/seasons.
Re: Wigan peerless Wed May 25, 2022 3:55 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Wed May 25, 2022 3:55 pm  

tyr wrote:
tyr Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 418
Location: Egham-ish
Member for 14 years
Great reminder of the many legendary players we have been privileged to have at our club before the Gang of Four era. One I would add that my dad likes to talk about is Frankie Parr, who did his day job alongside my granddad.
We have been spoiled!
"I have this system where I support England first, then the other Home Nations, then the rest of the Commonwealth, then the rest of the World, then France."
Re: Wigan peerless Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm  

Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 2457
Location: God's little acre
Member for 14 years
tyr wrote:
Great reminder of the many legendary players we have been privileged to have at our club before the Gang of Four era. One I would add that my dad likes to talk about is Frankie Parr, who did his day job alongside my granddad.
We have been spoiled!


Frankie was our scrum half when I first started watching.
A cracking little player.
Re: Wigan peerless Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 pm  

Stanfax wrote:
Stanfax Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Fri May 14, 2021 11:15 pm
Posts: 27
Member for 1 year
Similar story Itchy. When I was a kid we were obliged to visit the grandparents what felt like every Sunday. Grandad was born in1895 and was fond of saying how he was as old as the game, and how he had seen Lance Todd (and obviously the other three) play. Being young with a short attention span I didn't pay much attention. He died when I was 10 and I've always wished I'd listened more to him. He and Dad instilled a love of the club in me which I've passed on to my 18 year old daughter though, and we'll be at Tottenham on Saturday keeping the flame burning...
Re: Wigan peerless Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am  
Re: Wigan peerless
Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am  

Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 2457
Location: God's little acre
Member for 14 years
Stanfax wrote:
Similar story Itchy. When I was a kid we were obliged to visit the grandparents what felt like every Sunday. Grandad was born in1895 and was fond of saying how he was as old as the game, and how he had seen Lance Todd (and obviously the other three) play. Being young with a short attention span I didn't pay much attention. He died when I was 10 and I've always wished I'd listened more to him. He and Dad instilled a love of the club in me which I've passed on to my 18 year old daughter though, and we'll be at Tottenham on Saturday keeping the flame burning...

The age gap between my dad and myself was quite large so unfortunately for me, I didn't really listen to his tales and more importantly his views on the club until I left school. On reflection I think that I missed the opportunity of learning more about our history than I could have done. When I was in primary school and early teens devoured any books on rugby league which was great but to hear people's personal thoughts and stories on the club are much more fulfilling and for me just hold that bit more gravitas when your informed about what to some degree is minutiae but just adds that bit more to our history.

It's obviously much easier for the club to show content on film certainly from say the mid 80's onwards which is great but our history is deeper than that and I hope the club makes that extra effort to go back and inform the present day fans about our rich history of players and characters that have represented us for the last 150 years.
One of my all time favourite players was Bill Ashurst. With his kicking game and ball handling skills he would be an absolute sensation in today's game. I'd love to hear an interview with Bill. I have read his biography which was great but to hear his thoughts, recollections and stories about his time with the club for me would be even better.

I'm sure there are descendants of former players who could also give great details and memories of their fathers, granddad or even great granddad.

Great to hear that your daughter will carry on with your love of the club.
Re: Wigan peerless Thu May 26, 2022 8:45 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Thu May 26, 2022 8:45 pm  

Stanfax wrote:
Stanfax Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Fri May 14, 2021 11:15 pm
Posts: 27
Member for 1 year
One story I remember hearing from him more than once was a bit more recent (relatively speaking), when we beat Huddersfield in the Championship Final in 1950, with eight players on the boat to Australia. Mind-boggling achievement when you think about it!
Re: Wigan peerless Fri May 27, 2022 7:40 am  
Re: Wigan peerless
Fri May 27, 2022 7:40 am  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 153
Member for L 0 years
Finally watched this after ignoring it on my timelines and mates sending it to me for so long. As a RL fan it is very well put together to be fair and since I live in Wigan and have done so since 2002 it is nice to see landmarks on film.

I don't work in Marketing but I still think they've missed a trick by not having someone from Wigan to narrate it. A Wigan accent would have sounded much more authentic. There was no hiding the "grittiness" or "northern" points throughout so I feel a local narrator would have made it even better.

Offiah obviously has a refined accent and that would appeal more to those outside of Wigan but he's not from Wigan.

NB If any of you watch the NRL shows, Matt Nable who narrates the RL for Fox probably has the best voice in rugby. I get goosebumps watching their promos, seriously brilliant.
Re: Wigan peerless Fri May 27, 2022 3:55 pm  
Re: Wigan peerless
Fri May 27, 2022 3:55 pm  

Euclid wrote:
Euclid Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm
Posts: 518
Member for 9 years
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I've been racking my memory on that three quarter line and for the life of me I couldn't remember all of them even though my owd feller went on about as if it was the greatest backline of all time. I remembered all of them except for Miller and if I'm honest I could have tried for days to try and recall the name but I wouldn't have so I'm grateful for your posting as I was trying to think of them prior to your post.

I know that there are other issues planned for the anniversary so I'd love it if they got Bilko to go through the history of the club extracting details/data on players long forgotten but who are in essence are the club. I don't know Bilko personally but I do know his historical knowledge of the club is legendary and when he commentates on Wigan TV I really enjoy his enthusiasm and professionalism.

My old feller was born in 1903 so I was brought up on tales of The Threequarter Line, Sullivan (the "one and only"), Johnny Ring, Alf Ellaby (his scoring exploits were ridiculous), Van Rooyen, Van Heerden (I think he was famous for never wearing a hat whilst not playing), Ring (so good I've listed him twice), Syd Abram, Martin Ryan (the first "modern" fullback), Ted Ward, Jack Hilton, Cec Mountford,Tommy Bradshaw (one of my old fellers particular favourite), Ken Gee (I believe his mam was harder than him and the Aussies were terrified of Ken!), Joe Egan, Billy Blan, Brian Nordgren, Jack Cunliffe, Eric Ashton, Billy Boston (the greatest ever winger), Mick Sullivan (he'd be permanently banned in today's game), Dave Bolton (one of the fastest ever HB and had the strongest Wigan accent ever), Brian McTigue (the player who I would have loved to have seen live playing for us or GB), Roy Evans, Alan Davies (Jehovah's Witness but as hard as nails).
In more "recent" years we'd discuss the talents of Gregory and Edwards and he really rated both players (and both players fathers) but his "dream" HB pairing would have been Bradshaw & Bolton.


My owd feller used to on a part basis work in/run the Central Labour Club which was located just outside Central Park.
When I was a kid he would tell me tales about the players who went in for a pint after the game. His particular favourite was Ken Gee for tales on and off the pitch. At the very first scrum in the game Ken would ask the opposing front before they packed down "are we feyting or playing rugby today lads? Just let me know and I'll join in". Aussies were terrified of Ken but my owd feller always said Ken was more terrified of his old mam.
After one game Harry Bath (Australian second rower and quite a hardknock) was in the club and he had been sent off in the match earlier in the afternoon for biting Ken Gee. My dad was surprised and asked Bath if indeed he had actually bitten Gee. He confirmed that he did and it was the only way he could stop Gee from strangling him in the headlock that he had him in. When Gee came into the club Bath bought him a pint and they both laughed their heads off.
I know my old feller would embellish the tales (just as we all do, particularly after a few pints) but they started my love of the club and its history.
As supporters we have been extremely fortunate to have such a rich history albeit, I've seen as many bad teams/seasons as brilliant teams/seasons.


I gre up on stories just like these, told by my grandad, featuring the same characters. I started watching live games in 1966. After that years cup final, he wore a black armband and wouldn’t open the curtains for a week to show he was in mourning. Brian McTigue lived close by and was very quietly spoken , like many real hard men. I met Mick Sullivan at a game after he retired and he stood with me and explained, with a lot of humour, the finer points of the game. I was very proud when, after his death and obituary The Times printed a short piece by me on what a top bloke he was. Nostalgia comes easy, but Wiganer have lots of rugby memories to get nostalgic about.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA, Cruncher, dany1979, Egg Chasing, jaws1, jonh, LewCharnock, MadDogg, moto748, MR FRISK, NSW, Singing Warrior, spartakmixtapes and 402 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors