RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Scrums might NOT happen EVER!
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm  
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER!
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 10 years
Cbr1000rr wrote:
Absolute fu*king bel*end, their bodies their choice

Undoubtedly, but with choice comes consequences.

If a player refuses to get vaxed and misses a game, or even worse a final, all because they have to isolate, then that's on them and they should be punished for it imo.

Players get fined for loads of stuff that has a detrimental impact on their ability to perform i.e being out of condition, turning up under the influence. Heck, Wane even used to go ape when the academy lads didn't have their folders with them. It all falls under having a professional approach. They can choose to forget their folder, eat cr@p or go on a bender before training, it's just the consequences of that will probably mean they won't be at Wigan for long.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm  
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm  

User avatareasyWire wrote:
easyWire User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 14 years
sergeant pepper wrote:

If a player refuses to get vaxed and misses a game, or even worse a final, all because they have to isolate, then that's on them and they should be punished for it imo.

Players get fined for loads of stuff that has a detrimental impact on their ability to perform i.e being out of condition, turning up under the influence. Heck, Wane even used to go ape when the academy lads didn't have their folders with them. It all falls under having a professional approach. They can choose to forget their folder, eat cr@p or go on a bender before training, it's just the consequences of that will probably mean they won't be at Wigan for long.

But when COVID becomes just another yearly bug, similar to flu (which some scientists are predicting it to be by next winter) then the above logic surely means we have to apply fines to not getting the flu jab, or riding a motorbike, or climbing a ladder. In fact, anything that has the potential to cause enough damage to disrupt your training / peak performance.

Human behaviour is a weird one. The news last week was full of headlines vilifying anyone who hasn't had the jab, and it's effects on a pandemic which has reduced the average lifespan by a few months. Tucked away as a minor story / page filler was a report about the obesity epidemic. 46% of children are overweight by their top year of primary school, and 26% are clinically obese. The experts say that those children are set for life by their environment and habits during their upbringing. Just let that sink in: That's 26-41% of the entire future population who will live significantly shorter lives and put strain on the health system. And that's ignoring the morality aspect of parental responsibility. Apparently lining the pockets of big pharma is more important though. I'm triple-jabbed BTW.

Bring back scrums! :D
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:44 pm  
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:44 pm  

User avatarCyberPieMan wrote:
CyberPieMan User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 11 years
easyWire wrote:
But when COVID becomes just another yearly bug....
Which isn't likely to happen for another couple of years, so until then we have to be considerate of the people next to us (or those who's face is in yours) & stop being so Trumpian with the conspiratorial idiocy.

Don't be a pr!ck, get one!
Everything is Awesome
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:04 pm  
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:04 pm  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 16 years
sergeant pepper wrote:

You have to isolate whether you've had a jab or not so does the same logic count for anyone who's had the jab too? For the record there's currently 6 members of my immediate family who currently have Covid and are isolating as a result. All have had both jabs and a booster. The only members who are testing negative who have been in contact are myself and 2 others, none of whom have had the jabs but have had the disease. Go figure.
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:00 pm  
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:00 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
sergeant pepper wrote:

Does that go for players who don’t have the flu jab and get the flu and miss a game? Seriously, where is the line? Just because it’s COVID doesn’t mean that line should be blurred. Within 18months this will just be another flu strand and we’ll get on with our lives without a second thought. We should be doing this already in my opinion.

I’m all for vaxxing everyone. But that’s everyone who wants it. No company/business should deliberately financially punish their employees more than they normally would if they were off for a cold or stomach bug etc.

Honestly I’d love to see this played out in an employment tribunal or court of law. It would be genuinely intriguing to see on which side the court/tribunal would fall.
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 pm  
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 pm  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 10 years
100% Warrior wrote:
Does that go for players who don’t have the flu jab and get the flu and miss a game? Seriously, where is the line? Just because it’s COVID doesn’t mean that line should be blurred. Within 18months this will just be another flu strand and we’ll get on with our lives without a second thought. We should be doing this already in my opinion.

I’m all for vaxxing everyone. But that’s everyone who wants it. No company/business should deliberately financially punish their employees more than they normally would if they were off for a cold or stomach bug etc.

Honestly I’d love to see this played out in an employment tribunal or court of law. It would be genuinely intriguing to see on which side the court/tribunal would fall.

I stick by my OP. The club already draw the line on what's acceptable and I can't see how making them get a Vax is worse than saying that if they don't eat right, then they'll get let go. Same goes for doing rehab, or drinking before games etc. I'm sure they can't do stuff like go skiing etc too.

I'm even more baffled why some are so pro choice when it comes to vaccination. It's highly frustrating that people are being forced to isolate because of the pressure being put on the NHS from the morons who don't wanna get vaxed. (yes they are morons btw). The stats over the last few days say something like 90% in A&E are unvaxed. Those extra people up the pressure on the NHS and drives the current strategy.

Their stupid and selfish choices impact everyone and the gov need to step in. It's up there with drink driving. By the pro choice logic it's acceptable to let everyone do what they want and drive drunk, regardless of what impact it has on others, plus at the same time stopping people who follow the rules from driving at certain times to accommodate the be!!ends.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:42 am  
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:42 am  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 12 years
100% Warrior wrote:

do you have to isolate with the flu?
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am  
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Pieman wrote:
do you have to isolate with the flu?

You know the answer to that as well as I.

You’re taking my response in a direction I never pointed it at. If a player gets flu (proper flu) they’ll be out for 1-2 games minimum. If they have their flu jab they’re a lot less likely to get flu or if they do, less likely to be as bad as it would be. What if those 2 games were the semi and Grand Final? Would we financially punish our players?

Flu is a proven killer. Pre COVID (if you can remember a world without it!) every year without fail the papers would run articles such as “NHS is going to be over run with flu patients” and “go get your flu jab”. My question is - what’s the difference?
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:58 pm  
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:58 pm  

User avatarJukesays wrote:
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 18 years
100% Warrior wrote:

You’re taking my response in a direction I never pointed it at. If a player gets flu (proper flu) they’ll be out for 1-2 games minimum. If they have their flu jab they’re a lot less likely to get flu or if they do, less likely to be as bad as it would be. What if those 2 games were the semi and Grand Final? Would we financially punish our players?

Flu is a proven killer. Pre COVID (if you can remember a world without it!) every year without fail the papers would run articles such as “NHS is going to be over run with flu patients” and “go get your flu jab”. My question is - what’s the difference?

Covid is far more transmissible and without precautions, masks, social distancing there would have been far more of it, and it would have killed far more.
Without the vaccines the Death Toll inevitably would have been far higher.

COVID-19: Current COVID-19 deaths*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

"The COVID-19 situation continues to change, sometimes rapidly. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19. At present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu."

The last 2 years or so hasn't happened because of something the same as flu.
It's happened because it was more more contagious, far more likely to kill people and no vaccine at the time meant there was no way to keep it under control. Without social distancing, mask wearing etc the whole NHS system would have had to deal with something possibly 10x times or more than it was capable of dealing with.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club
Re: Scrums might NOT happen EVER! Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm  
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 12 years
100% Warrior wrote:

But im not, if you've been in contact with someone with flu you wouldnt miss a game but if you have with covid you will, add that to how many people there are at the club you could miss a lot of the season if different people get it through out the year and you are in proximity to them and not vaccinated
PreviousNext