RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Boston stand no more
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:38 am  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:38 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3456
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 9 years
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
I hate to break this to you, but a large number of the squad for next season is also based on the squad in previous season (which hasn't won a major trophy for three seasons) - we don't sign players on a year-to-year basis. Poor recruitment and retention of players who are in the squad for next season have been in the underperforming squads over a number of seasons.

Decisions made over a number of seasons have lead to underperformance, which meant we haven't won a major trophy for three years against a backdrop of a poor competition, which will continue to have a knock-on effect on the squad moving forward. I couldn't make my opinion clearer. It's not the fans fault.


You particularly mentioned Hastings lack of replacement and Thornley replacing Gildart. Unless you can see into the future there is no way of knowing how that will pan out.

The current squad in my eyes is the 2022 squad because 2021 has gone. Again...no way of knowing how they will go on, so where did you think we would finish in 2019, 2020 and 2021?
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:47 am  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:47 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Member for 10 years
Egg Chasing wrote:
But recruitment has been poor so you must have some ideas. Who would you have got rid of then.


Firstly and the most obvious one is George Burgess. Especially when you read stuff like this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-burgess-bombshell-on-his-time-at-wigan-warriors-44468/amp/

Peter Gentle (St George’s assistant coach) worked with him at Souths the last year he was there (in 2019) and he said he just used to ride a bike or do yoga or something in the gym all week. Then they would wheel him out for captain’s run and then play him. He said that’s all he could do.


I wouldn't have kept a centre (Hank) out on loan when the alternative was to play Isa & Faz in the backs and watch our young lads getting battered.

After that, I wouldn't have resigned French. Once it was clear GB wouldn't be here, we needed a prop. I remember seeing a few rival fans on here at the start of the year saying that they couldn't believe we've not got a prop in. We instead spent the GB money on a new deal for French and Hastings.
Egg Chasing wrote:
But recruitment has been poor so you must have some ideas. Who would you have got rid of then.


Firstly and the most obvious one is George Burgess. Especially when you read stuff like this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-burgess-bombshell-on-his-time-at-wigan-warriors-44468/amp/

Peter Gentle (St George’s assistant coach) worked with him at Souths the last year he was there (in 2019) and he said he just used to ride a bike or do yoga or something in the gym all week. Then they would wheel him out for captain’s run and then play him. He said that’s all he could do.


I wouldn't have kept a centre (Hank) out on loan when the alternative was to play Isa & Faz in the backs and watch our young lads getting battered.

After that, I wouldn't have resigned French. Once it was clear GB wouldn't be here, we needed a prop. I remember seeing a few rival fans on here at the start of the year saying that they couldn't believe we've not got a prop in. We instead spent the GB money on a new deal for French and Hastings.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm  
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy User avatar
100% League Network


Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14272
Location: Looking for coffee and donuts
Member for 20 years
Egg Chasing wrote:
You particularly mentioned Hastings lack of replacement and Thornley replacing Gildart. Unless you can see into the future there is no way of knowing how that will pan out.

The current squad in my eyes is the 2022 squad because 2021 has gone. Again...no way of knowing how they will go on, so where did you think we would finish in 2019, 2020 and 2021?


Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:25 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:25 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27005
Location: WIGAN
Member for 18 years
Egg Chasing wrote:
George Williams was the replacement for Hastings. We all know that. It didn't come off and so we've had to go back to the drawing board. Field and French being injured all season and neither playing any time in the halves to see how they would fare also hasn't helped.


A professional sports club and one expected to be at the top of it’s league shouldn’t put itself in a position where they’re solely reliant on signing one player and a player we didn’t actually know was coming back to the UK until a good way through 2021. We all knew Hastings would be going well in advance of that, so what was the plan had Williams remained in Oz? Why weren’t we down the road with other targets? You have to be planning well in advance surely and have various irons in the fire. Leeds needed a half, didn’t get Williams and moved straight on to Sezer. Huddersfield wanted two and got them done months and months ago. This isn’t me slagging the club off for the sake of it, I just don’t do that but I can’t say I think they’ve handled the halfback situation well at all because I think it’s a poor show tbh.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:23 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:23 pm  

User avatarFearTheVee wrote:
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member


Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 11104
Location: Much too far South
Member for 20 years
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.


From the outside looking in I believe you have been making sense.

The squad building looks to have been criminally poor in recent times and not signing a proper prop for 2021 was insanity.

That isn't hindsight talking, it was blindingly obvious. I recall a thread on here leading into the GF saying how the Wigan pack was as good as the Saints pack and Brad Singleton would walk into the Saints team and "terrorised" us etc - it was delusional. I know the comeback will be that "we were a bounce away" but it has felt to me for a good few years that the Wigan side was one struggling (admirably no doubt) to play above its level rather than fundamentally being a dangerous team. Bad luck with injuries also granted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:25 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:25 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3456
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 9 years
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
Based on the fact we have Thornley (bizarrely not officially announced even though he unofficially has) as a replacement for Gildart and Hastings so far, even though the club has known for a long time both were going, I'd don't think I'm being Nostradamus to say it doesn't look like a we've been given like for like in terms of quality replacements thus far.

I have to say it's quite bizarre to be hounded about having an opinion on something because next season hasn't happened yet. Most people can see there are huge questions about the halfback position but in your world we have to wait until next season is pretty much over before having an opinion is appropriate - very strange.


Dodged the question again I see
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3456
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 9 years
FearTheVee wrote:
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.


You may be right here (again we will never know) but my point is that our supposed poor recruitment and under performing squad is tipped each season by bookies and our fans to finish in the top 2/3 and challenge for trophies. So our recruitment/squad can't be that bad??

On the other hand, if someone was to say we will struggle to make the top 4 (something someone has said ahead of next season) then by finishing 2nd in 2019, 1st (and making the GF) in 2020 and 4th in 2021 we must have over performed rather than under performed???

Personally................I do think it will be a tough season BUT if we can manage to play our best 17 for once then who knows because we haven't done that for 3 years, and our coach was dreadful.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:04 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27005
Location: WIGAN
Member for 18 years
FearTheVee wrote:
From the outside looking in I believe you have been making sense.

The squad building looks to have been criminally poor in recent times and not signing a proper prop for 2021 was insanity.

That isn't hindsight talking, it was blindingly obvious. I recall a thread on here leading into the GF saying how the Wigan pack was as good as the Saints pack and Brad Singleton would walk into the Saints team and "terrorised" us etc - it was delusional. I know the comeback will be that "we were a bounce away" but it has felt to me for a good few years that the Wigan side was one struggling (admirably no doubt) to play above its level rather than fundamentally being a dangerous team. Bad luck with injuries also granted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wigan fall (further?) behind Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalans next season - it all just feels a bit haphazard and rudderless, with some strangely public noises about managing injuries, Hardaker etc adding to that feeling.


I think the comeback is more likely to be ‘you’re making things up’ and that’s because you are. I certainly don’t recall people saying our pack was as good, maybe they were saying that minus Walmsley it could be and it was in the league game prior to the final. I recall the Singleton conversations differently as well. In a combined 17 at the time a good few of us was putting him in because he’d really made a difference to us when he came in and in that league game he got under the Saints players skins and did a job for us. He actually had a really strong finish to 2021 for us and I’d probably pick him in a combined 17 still tbh. I still don’t overly rate Lees/Amor.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm  
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy User avatar
100% League Network


Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 14272
Location: Looking for coffee and donuts
Member for 20 years
Egg Chasing wrote:
Dodged the question again I see


If the question is predict things that have already happened in the past three seasons, it does seem a redundant question - it's almost as bizarre as saying you can't have an opinion about the squad because next season hasn't happened yet.
Re: Boston stand no more Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 pm  
Re: Boston stand no more
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3456
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 9 years
Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy wrote:
If the question is predict things that have already happened in the past three seasons, it does seem a redundant question - it's almost as bizarre as saying you can't have a an opinion about the squad because next season hasn't happened yet.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bazdev, Cherry toffee, CM Punk, jonh, MadDogg, Wandering Wiganer, Wigan#Townsville13, Yorkshire Warrior and 245 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
13m
Tom Johnstone
Scarlet Pimp
234
35m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8319
35m
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
41m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
23404
45m
Rumours and signings v9
bazdev
23056
49m
The boss man cometh
H.G.S.A
1
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
44s
RD 13 Wakefield Trinity H
Trebor1
37
53s
Wigan H - a must win
bonaire
24
1m
Rumours and signings v9
bazdev
23056
1m
Causing us damage
Dunkirk Spir
5
1m
Again the Lino rumours continues
alegend
22
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8319
1m
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
1m
Bans
NickyKiss
11
2m
Matt Dufty
Douglas Blac
97
3m
Exit Long
Don 76
34
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
The boss man cometh
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Andrew and David Fifita
Sacred Cow
5
TODAY
Causing us damage
Dunkirk Spir
5
TODAY
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
TODAY
Maurice Lindsay
GeoffRoebuck
1
TODAY
Again the Lino rumours continues
alegend
22
TODAY
toulouse
Hangerman2
4
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Khlav Kalash
13
TODAY
MIKAELE
DallasMead2
23
TODAY
Bans
NickyKiss
11
Random Topics selected.
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.31Million 1,273 ↓-3779,05434,030
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
Maurice Lyndsay and Super League's beginnings.
RL CHAT MEMBERS ONLY
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2022-R11
10:50
Newcastle
v
Brisbane
     Super League XXVII-R13
20:00
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 21st May
     Super League XXVII-R13
15:00
Hull FC
v
Wigan
 Sat 28th May
     Challenge Cup 2022-R9
15:00
Wigan
v
Huddersfield
 Sat 4th Jun
     Super League XXVII-R14
14:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Fri 10th Jun
     Super League XXVII-R15
20:00
Salford
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Jun
     Super League XXVII-R16
20:00
Wigan
v
Toulouse
 Sun 3rd Jul
     Super League XXVII-R17
15:00
Wakefield
v
Wigan
 Sat 9th Jul
     Super League XXVII-R18
16:45
St.Helens
v
Wigan
 Fri 15th Jul
     Super League XXVII-R19
20:00
Wigan
v
Hull FC
 Thu 21st Jul
     Super League XXVII-R20
20:00
Leeds
v
Wigan
 Fri 29th Jul
     Super League XXVII-R21
20:00
Wigan
v
Hull KR
 Fri 5th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R22
20:00
Wigan
v
Warrington
 Sun 14th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R23
15:00
Wakefield
v
Wigan
 Fri 19th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R24
20:00
Wigan
v
Toulouse
 Fri 26th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R25
20:00
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 Mon 29th Aug
     Super League XXVII-R26
15:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sat 3rd Sep
     Super League XXVII-R27
15:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 19th May
SL RND: 13
20:00
Warrington-St.Helens
Fri 20th May
SL RND: 13
20:00
Salford-Castleford
Sat 21st May
L1 RND: 9
14:00
Swinton-Cornwall
SL RND: 13
12:30
Hull KR-Catalans
Mon 23rd May
CH RND: 12
19:45
Sheffield-Widnes
Sat 28th May
CC2022 RND: 9
15:00
Wigan-Huddersfield
1895 RND: 3
12:00
Featherstone-Leigh
Thu 2nd Jun
CH RND: 13
12:30
Workington-LondonB
Fri 3rd Jun
SL RND: 14
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Sat 4th Jun
SL RND: 14
14:00
Castleford-Wigan
Mon 6th Jun
CH RND: 14
19:45
Featherstone-Bradford
Fri 10th Jun
SL RND: 15
20:00
Salford-Wigan
Sat 11th Jun
SL RND: 15
18:00
Catalans-Hull FC
Mon 13th Jun
CH RND: 15
19:45
Leigh-Featherstone
Sat 18th Jun
MINT2022 RND: 1
17:30
England-ALL STARS
WINT2022 RND: 1
15:00
ENGLAND-FRANCE
Thu 23rd Jun
SL RND: 16
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Fri 24th Jun
SL RND: 16
20:00
Warrington-Hull FC
Sun 26th Jun
SL RND: 16
15:15
Hull KR-Huddersfield
Mon 27th Jun
CH RND: 16
19:45
Barrow-Halifax
Mon 16th May
CH RND: 11 Batley0-52Leigh
Sun 15th May
CH RND: 11 Barrow26-12Workington
CH RND: 11 Bradford6-20York
CH RND: 11 Dewsbury26-46Featherstone
CH RND: 11 Halifax38-14Sheffield
CH RND: 11 Widnes56-16Whitehaven
NRL RND: 10 Cronulla10-30Canberra
NRL RND: 10 Sydney31-24Parramatta
NRL RND: 10 Wests12-36NQL Cowboys
SL RND: 12 Toulouse20-14Wakefield
L1 RND: 8 Cornwall0-20West Wales
L1 RND: 8 Hunslet16-28Swinton
L1 RND: 8 Keighley40-16Rochdale
SL RND: 12 Castleford32-0Hull KR
SL RND: 12 Salford23-8Leeds
Sat 14th May
NRL RND: 10 NZ Warriors30-32Souths
NRL RND: 10 Gold Coast20-16St.George
NRL RND: 10 Melbourne67-32Penrith
L1 RND: 8 LondonS12-44Doncaster
L1 RND: 8 Crusaders30-16Oldham
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 11
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Featherstone 11 410 146 264 21
Leigh 11 424 86 338 20
York 11 276 166 110 18
Halifax 11 298 176 122 14
Batley 10 226 193 33 13
Barrow 11 215 254 -39 13
 
Sheffield 10 246 204 42 10
Bradford 11 216 235 -19 10
Widnes 11 263 290 -27 10
Newcastle 11 222 262 -40 10
Whitehaven 11 182 344 -162 6
Dewsbury 11 151 366 -215 4
LondonB 11 140 310 -170 3
Workington 11 128 365 -237 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 8
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Crusaders 8 335 106 229 16
Keighley 7 290 48 242 14
Rochdale 8 330 172 158 12
Swinton 7 292 115 177 10
Doncaster 8 236 196 40 10
Hunslet 7 176 156 20 7
 
Oldham 7 222 160 62 5
Midlands 7 204 232 -28 4
West Wales 7 48 412 -364 2
Cornwall 7 90 344 -254 0
LondonS 7 92 374 -282 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 12
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 12 296 116 180 20
Catalans 12 270 164 106 18
Wigan 12 310 240 70 18
Huddersfield 12 272 210 62 15
Hull FC 12 253 208 45 14
Castleford 12 271 258 13 12
 
Hull KR 12 202 236 -34 12
Warrington 12 258 298 -40 10
Salford 12 233 298 -65 8
Leeds 12 169 240 -71 7
Wakefield 12 192 300 -108 6
Toulouse 12 186 344 -158 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2022 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 10 402 142 260 18
Penrith 10 290 177 113 16
NQL Cowboys 10 251 125 126 14
Sydney 10 221 168 53 12
Cronulla 10 219 168 51 12
Parramatta 10 259 213 46 12
Brisbane 10 197 169 28 12
Souths 10 224 203 21 10
 
Manly 10 192 230 -38 10
Canberra 10 158 211 -53 8
NZ Warriors 10 180 263 -83 8
St.George 10 151 240 -89 8
Gold Coast 10 160 240 -80 6
Newcastle 10 124 248 -124 6
Wests 10 126 232 -106 4
Canterbury 10 96 221 -125 4
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
13m
Tom Johnstone
Scarlet Pimp
234
35m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8319
35m
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
41m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
23404
45m
Rumours and signings v9
bazdev
23056
49m
The boss man cometh
H.G.S.A
1
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
44s
RD 13 Wakefield Trinity H
Trebor1
37
53s
Wigan H - a must win
bonaire
24
1m
Rumours and signings v9
bazdev
23056
1m
Causing us damage
Dunkirk Spir
5
1m
Again the Lino rumours continues
alegend
22
1m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Wanderer
8319
1m
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
1m
Bans
NickyKiss
11
2m
Matt Dufty
Douglas Blac
97
3m
Exit Long
Don 76
34
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
The boss man cometh
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Andrew and David Fifita
Sacred Cow
5
TODAY
Causing us damage
Dunkirk Spir
5
TODAY
Batley Away
jbuzza
5
TODAY
Maurice Lindsay
GeoffRoebuck
1
TODAY
Again the Lino rumours continues
alegend
22
TODAY
toulouse
Hangerman2
4
TODAY
Squad for Leeds
Khlav Kalash
13
TODAY
MIKAELE
DallasMead2
23
TODAY
Bans
NickyKiss
11
Random Topics selected.


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!