RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Boston stand no more
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
They literally change the boards every week now to brand for whoever plays.

They don't even need to do anything. It'll literally be the name on the tickets that changes.


Just meant the ones outside on the end of the stands, rather than the ads. We can drop a painted bedsheet over them if worse comes to worse. Maybe get those Wire fans to spell it.
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3952
Location: Watching Rugby League
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Just meant the ones outside on the end of the stands, rather than the ads. We can drop a painted bedsheet over them if worse comes to worse. Maybe get those Wire fans to spell it.


I think they'll just put some branding over the turnstiles and leave it there.

Doubt they'll touch the writing on the corner.

I might be wrong, but it's only a stand afterall.
No
Team
Selected
Cruncher
Member for 17 years
Gold RLFANS Member




Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 14969
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 pm  
I must admit, for the first time ever, I'm seriously beginning to wonder, after years and years of provocation, if there might be some way we can get away from Latics and their stadium. I'm so sick of the endless petulance and power-struggle politics that seems to surround our life at the DW.

We are Wigan RL, we shouldn't have this endless shadow of minor league football hanging over us, dictating our every move. Even when they were on the verge of disappearing up their own backsides, we were nervous because we didn't know how it was going to affect us (and even then it was our fault, according to the geniuses that follow them).

True we got a decent deal on a 50-year lease, but surely nothing is worth this much hassle? Never knowing how the latest Latics owner is going to relate to us. Never knowing what kind of tricks he's going to employ to try and boost our rent. Never knowing if he has a real plan for the football or is actually looking for a way to sell our home to a developer.

Is it conceivable? I mean in the real world, not as part of some fantasy ... is there any way we can get away from the DW? Is there any possible but realistic way we can cut our ties with this awful little football club?

I'm quite serious about it... is it possible that we can somehow move somewhere else, and leave them to sink or swim on their own?
TheWarringtonWolve69
Member for 1 year
Cheeky half-back

User avatar


Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:04 pm
Posts: 901
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 pm  
Wigan rugby’s average attendance has dropped by thousands over the past 10 years. It’s obvious the new owners see the town as a football town now which from a business POV makes perfect sense
No
Team
Selected
Cruncher
Member for 17 years
Gold RLFANS Member




Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 14969
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 pm  
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
Wigan rugby’s average attendance has dropped by thousands over the past 10 years. It’s obvious the new owners see the town as a football town now which from a business POV makes perfect sense


I really wish I had a quid for every time I've heard that Wigan is now a football town. It's been going on for years, and all through that time, the sunlight reflecting from our silverware has been blinding eyes all over Warrington. :lol:
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 pm  
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
Wigan rugby’s average attendance has dropped by thousands over the past 10 years. It’s obvious the new owners see the town as a football town now which from a business POV makes perfect sense


Going down over a ten year period and still higher than St Helens.

The town is a football town by the way, as is St Helens and pretty much every town and city up and down the country. Most football fans in our town don’t support Wigan sadly and obviously most football fans in St Helens don’t support your football club (presume you have one).
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3952
Location: Watching Rugby League
Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 am  
Cruncher wrote:
I must admit, for the first time ever, I'm seriously beginning to wonder, after years and years of provocation, if there might be some way we can get away from Latics and their stadium. I'm so sick of the endless petulance and power-struggle politics that seems to surround our life at the DW.

We are Wigan RL, we shouldn't have this endless shadow of minor league football hanging over us, dictating our every move. Even when they were on the verge of disappearing up their own backsides, we were nervous because we didn't know how it was going to affect us (and even then it was our fault, according to the geniuses that follow them).

True we got a decent deal on a 50-year lease, but surely nothing is worth this much hassle? Never knowing how the latest Latics owner is going to relate to us. Never knowing what kind of tricks he's going to employ to try and boost our rent. Never knowing if he has a real plan for the football or is actually looking for a way to sell our home to a developer.

Is it conceivable? I mean in the real world, not as part of some fantasy ... is there any way we can get away from the DW? Is there any possible but realistic way we can cut our ties with this awful little football club?

I'm quite serious about it... is it possible that we can somehow move somewhere else, and leave them to sink or swim on their own?


They can't sell the stadium to a developer.
Ruddy Duck
Member for 21 years





Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 am  
What is now happening at the DW Stadium is only what was expected as a result of the mistakes made during the late nighties when the then board of Directors led by Chairman Jack Robinson sold Central Park to Tesco and Wigan Council decided to side with Dave Whelan rather than making sure that any new Stadium was never owned by either Wigan Athletic AFC or Wigan RLFC, but owned by a independant company like they are in other local authority areas.

A situation where now, a former lttle non league football club which nearly went out of exsistance a short while ago owns the stadium while the most well known Rugby League club in the country is nothing more than a tenant with no Stadium of its own like neighbours St Helens, Warrigton and Widnes.

Nearby Bolton Wanderers may have also gone into administration, but at least their club together with Bolton Council at the the time their stadium was built had the sense to make sure that the stadium was seperate from the financial affairs of the football club and any possible administration of the football club.

More brains in a rocking horse than what exists on Wigan Council where important decisions for the future are concerned!
No
Team
Selected
100% Warrior
Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member




Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 7387
Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:27 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
What is now happening at the DW Stadium is only what was expected as a result of the mistakes made during the late nighties when the then board of Directors led by Chairman Jack Robinson sold Central Park to Tesco and Wigan Council decided to side with Dave Whelan rather than making sure that any new Stadium was never owned by either Wigan Athletic AFC or Wigan RLFC, but owned by a independant company like they are in other local authority areas.

A situation where now, a former lttle non league football club which nearly went out of exsistance a short while ago owns the stadium while the most well known Rugby League club in the country is nothing more than a tenant with no Stadium of its own like neighbours St Helens, Warrigton and Widnes.

Nearby Bolton Wanderers may have also gone into administration, but at least their club together with Bolton Council at the the time their stadium was built had the sense to make sure that the stadium was seperate from the financial affairs of the football club and any possible administration of the football club.

More brains in a rocking horse than what exists on Wigan Council where important decisions for the future are concerned!



:roll:
No
Team
Selected
100% Warrior
Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member




Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 7387
Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 am  
What’s this faux outrage? I mean seriously? It’s a stand, we have a statue in the Town plus I’ve still always called it the East Stand! I think the faux outrage is a bit embarassing, petulant almost. You’ve got to remember we don’t own the stadium, if the owners wanted to paint a mural to Nathan Ellington across the South Stand they could do. Until we get our own stadium again we can’t sit here and moan.

What is utterly vile though are the comments from a minority of Latics fans, including one on Twitter which won’t take long to find that literally says “I hope he doesn’t see Christmas” with reference to Billy Boston. Other than that it’s the usual nonsense from the Neanderthals. The sooner this false rivalry is settled and put away the better. It’s embarrassing.
Last edited by 100% Warrior on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 124 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
41s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
18042
1m
Captain 2023
Jrrhino
13
1m
Shaw and Croft
alegend
78
1m
Harrison
KineticRR
8
1m
UK Asylum seekers
wotsupcas
169
1m
Transfer talk
Bulls4
710
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35347
2m
Rumours and signings v9
Zig
24929
3m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Neruda
2312
4m
2023 squad numbers
Hangerman2
8
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Tony Sutton
Armavinit
2
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Harrison
KineticRR
8
TODAY
2023 squad numbers
Hangerman2
8
TODAY
Possible Disciplinary changes
LyndsayGill
6
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
As the festive season is nearly upon us
Saddened!
3
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Captain 2023
Jrrhino
13
TODAY
kids tickets question
Trebor1
2
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6381
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2282
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3253
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2030
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2110
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2563
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4928
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2398
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3004
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2896
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2846
England Top Group A With Big W..
2555
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3597
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3599
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2914
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,197 79,3199,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 18th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
13:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Thu 9th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
 
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
41s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
18042
1m
Captain 2023
Jrrhino
13
1m
Shaw and Croft
alegend
78
1m
Harrison
KineticRR
8
1m
UK Asylum seekers
wotsupcas
169
1m
Transfer talk
Bulls4
710
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35347
2m
Rumours and signings v9
Zig
24929
3m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Neruda
2312
4m
2023 squad numbers
Hangerman2
8
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Tony Sutton
Armavinit
2
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Harrison
KineticRR
8
TODAY
2023 squad numbers
Hangerman2
8
TODAY
Possible Disciplinary changes
LyndsayGill
6
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
As the festive season is nearly upon us
Saddened!
3
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Captain 2023
Jrrhino
13
TODAY
kids tickets question
Trebor1
2
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6381
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2282
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3253
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2030
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2110
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2563
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4928
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2398
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3004
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2896
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2846
England Top Group A With Big W..
2555
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3597
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3599
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2914


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!