the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Boston stand no more
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 pm  
Egg Chasing wrote:
They literally change the boards every week now to brand for whoever plays.

They don't even need to do anything. It'll literally be the name on the tickets that changes.

Just meant the ones outside on the end of the stands, rather than the ads. We can drop a painted bedsheet over them if worse comes to worse. Maybe get those Wire fans to spell it.
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Just meant the ones outside on the end of the stands, rather than the ads. We can drop a painted bedsheet over them if worse comes to worse. Maybe get those Wire fans to spell it.

I think they'll just put some branding over the turnstiles and leave it there.

Doubt they'll touch the writing on the corner.

I might be wrong, but it's only a stand afterall.
No
Team
Selected
Cruncher
Member for 17 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 pm  
I must admit, for the first time ever, I'm seriously beginning to wonder, after years and years of provocation, if there might be some way we can get away from Latics and their stadium. I'm so sick of the endless petulance and power-struggle politics that seems to surround our life at the DW.

We are Wigan RL, we shouldn't have this endless shadow of minor league football hanging over us, dictating our every move. Even when they were on the verge of disappearing up their own backsides, we were nervous because we didn't know how it was going to affect us (and even then it was our fault, according to the geniuses that follow them).

True we got a decent deal on a 50-year lease, but surely nothing is worth this much hassle? Never knowing how the latest Latics owner is going to relate to us. Never knowing what kind of tricks he's going to employ to try and boost our rent. Never knowing if he has a real plan for the football or is actually looking for a way to sell our home to a developer.

Is it conceivable? I mean in the real world, not as part of some fantasy ... is there any way we can get away from the DW? Is there any possible but realistic way we can cut our ties with this awful little football club?

I'm quite serious about it... is it possible that we can somehow move somewhere else, and leave them to sink or swim on their own?
TheWarringtonWolve69
Member for 1 year
Cheeky half-back

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 pm  
Wigan rugby’s average attendance has dropped by thousands over the past 10 years. It’s obvious the new owners see the town as a football town now which from a business POV makes perfect sense
No
Team
Selected
Cruncher
Member for 17 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 pm  
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
Wigan rugby’s average attendance has dropped by thousands over the past 10 years. It’s obvious the new owners see the town as a football town now which from a business POV makes perfect sense

I really wish I had a quid for every time I've heard that Wigan is now a football town. It's been going on for years, and all through that time, the sunlight reflecting from our silverware has been blinding eyes all over Warrington. :lol:
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 pm  
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:

Going down over a ten year period and still higher than St Helens.

The town is a football town by the way, as is St Helens and pretty much every town and city up and down the country. Most football fans in our town don’t support Wigan sadly and obviously most football fans in St Helens don’t support your football club (presume you have one).
Egg Chasing
Member for 10 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 am  
Cruncher wrote:
I must admit, for the first time ever, I'm seriously beginning to wonder, after years and years of provocation, if there might be some way we can get away from Latics and their stadium. I'm so sick of the endless petulance and power-struggle politics that seems to surround our life at the DW.

We are Wigan RL, we shouldn't have this endless shadow of minor league football hanging over us, dictating our every move. Even when they were on the verge of disappearing up their own backsides, we were nervous because we didn't know how it was going to affect us (and even then it was our fault, according to the geniuses that follow them).

True we got a decent deal on a 50-year lease, but surely nothing is worth this much hassle? Never knowing how the latest Latics owner is going to relate to us. Never knowing what kind of tricks he's going to employ to try and boost our rent. Never knowing if he has a real plan for the football or is actually looking for a way to sell our home to a developer.

Is it conceivable? I mean in the real world, not as part of some fantasy ... is there any way we can get away from the DW? Is there any possible but realistic way we can cut our ties with this awful little football club?

I'm quite serious about it... is it possible that we can somehow move somewhere else, and leave them to sink or swim on their own?

They can't sell the stadium to a developer.
Ruddy Duck
Member for 21 years

Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 am  
What is now happening at the DW Stadium is only what was expected as a result of the mistakes made during the late nighties when the then board of Directors led by Chairman Jack Robinson sold Central Park to Tesco and Wigan Council decided to side with Dave Whelan rather than making sure that any new Stadium was never owned by either Wigan Athletic AFC or Wigan RLFC, but owned by a independant company like they are in other local authority areas.

A situation where now, a former lttle non league football club which nearly went out of exsistance a short while ago owns the stadium while the most well known Rugby League club in the country is nothing more than a tenant with no Stadium of its own like neighbours St Helens, Warrigton and Widnes.

Nearby Bolton Wanderers may have also gone into administration, but at least their club together with Bolton Council at the the time their stadium was built had the sense to make sure that the stadium was seperate from the financial affairs of the football club and any possible administration of the football club.

More brains in a rocking horse than what exists on Wigan Council where important decisions for the future are concerned!
No
Team
Selected
100% Warrior
Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:27 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
What is now happening at the DW Stadium is only what was expected as a result of the mistakes made during the late nighties when the then board of Directors led by Chairman Jack Robinson sold Central Park to Tesco and Wigan Council decided to side with Dave Whelan rather than making sure that any new Stadium was never owned by either Wigan Athletic AFC or Wigan RLFC, but owned by a independant company like they are in other local authority areas.

A situation where now, a former lttle non league football club which nearly went out of exsistance a short while ago owns the stadium while the most well known Rugby League club in the country is nothing more than a tenant with no Stadium of its own like neighbours St Helens, Warrigton and Widnes.

Nearby Bolton Wanderers may have also gone into administration, but at least their club together with Bolton Council at the the time their stadium was built had the sense to make sure that the stadium was seperate from the financial affairs of the football club and any possible administration of the football club.

More brains in a rocking horse than what exists on Wigan Council where important decisions for the future are concerned!

:roll:
No
Team
Selected
100% Warrior
Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member

Re: Boston stand no more : Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 am  
What’s this faux outrage? I mean seriously? It’s a stand, we have a statue in the Town plus I’ve still always called it the East Stand! I think the faux outrage is a bit embarassing, petulant almost. You’ve got to remember we don’t own the stadium, if the owners wanted to paint a mural to Nathan Ellington across the South Stand they could do. Until we get our own stadium again we can’t sit here and moan.

What is utterly vile though are the comments from a minority of Latics fans, including one on Twitter which won’t take long to find that literally says “I hope he doesn’t see Christmas” with reference to Billy Boston. Other than that it’s the usual nonsense from the Neanderthals. The sooner this false rivalry is settled and put away the better. It’s embarrassing.
Last edited by 100% Warrior on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext