WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Season Summary

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Season Summary

Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:41 am  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

A very, very up and down season culminating in on of the best defensive spectacles from 2 teams i have ever seen. Lots of false dawns from us in games, Huddersfield away and Catalans away spring to mind only to turn in performances like Salford and Hull KR but as per usual the Wigan mentality of getting geared up for the finals push showed through and our performances improved week after week post lockdown. The emergence of Havard, Shorrocks and Byrne are huge plus points to go with the lads who broke through last year (Partington and Smithies) Kilner hopefully the next one.

Massive cause for optimism next season with out attack and defence strengthened in one hit with the signing of Sir John Bateman allowing Isa (hopefully) to move to loose forward. Jai Field comes into an already very speedy spine and Harry Smith will make big strides next season.

I was seething after the Hull KR defeat but on reflection of the season i am happy with the progress made. I think we look to be incredibly strong next term. I don't think i have ever seen any of the Saints signings play so whether they are the same or not i dont know.

There is however a massive elephant in the room........................................... Geroge Burgess.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:48 am  

Pie_Eyter wrote:

Also, to add :- Bullock has improved leaps and bounds and the signing of Brad Singleton has been inspired. The Coley like signing we have been looking for.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 am  
exiled Warrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

A very strange season to be sure, but we have come through it with a lot of positives. The young players have improved massively and gained a lot of experience (in the main) and we look more like a team than we did earlier. Some good signings this year and next season (Bateman will be a big add) and a lot to look forward to.

There are some issues to sort out, the G Burgess one needs to be sorted one way or another and the winger situation worries me, Manfredi is a worry going forward and we do not know how Marshall will return which leaves us with potential issues there.

I think the positives easily outweigh the negatives this season given the circumstances.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:55 pm  

Pie_Eyter wrote:

exiled Warrior wrote:
A very strange season to be sure, but we have come through it with a lot of positives. The young players have improved massively and gained a lot of experience (in the main) and we look more like a team than we did earlier. Some good signings this year and next season (Bateman will be a big add) and a lot to look forward to.

There are some issues to sort out, the G Burgess one needs to be sorted one way or another and the winger situation worries me, Manfredi is a worry going forward and we do not know how Marshall will return which leaves us with potential issues there.

I think the positives easily outweigh the negatives this season given the circumstances.

I was going to mention the winger situation but i didn't want to put a dampener on it too much. Bibby has been ok on the wing. He is better in defence but doesn't have the forward nous a seasoned winger does and often overruns the attacking play. Manfredi (although i love him to bits) has now dropped into the 'injury prone' list. I stick by what i said a few weeks ago but was gunned down with a cannon fire. Tom Johnstone. If Burgess leaves/retires we should make him our priority for me and thats us done.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:31 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Pie_Eyter wrote:
I was going to mention the winger situation but i didn't want to put a dampener on it too much. Bibby has been ok on the wing. He is better in defence but doesn't have the forward nous a seasoned winger does and often overruns the attacking play. Manfredi (although i love him to bits) has now dropped into the 'injury prone' list. I stick by what i said a few weeks ago but was gunned down with a cannon fire. Tom Johnstone. If Burgess leaves/retires we should make him our priority for me and thats us done.

If we are just pretending the salary cap doesn't exist then why limit ourselves to Johnstone? I think Valentine Homes is better.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:36 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
If we are just pretending the salary cap doesn't exist then why limit ourselves to Johnstone? I think Valentine Homes is better.

I reckon we would get him too cos we're Wigan
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:
I reckon we would get him too cos we're Wigan

Don't need to pay him, he'll pay us for the privilege if anything.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:12 pm  

Pie_Eyter wrote:

Still being shot down with cannon fire.

You obviously can't read very well each of you. I said 'If Burgess leaves or retires'

You think Johnstone would require half of what Burgess earns? even with a transfer fee?

I could write both your reading skills on the back of a postage stamp in block capitals and still have space to write a novel.
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:15 pm  

User avatar[Gareth] wrote:
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Don't need to pay him, he'll pay us for the privilege if anything.

Strangley enough, im sure i saw him coming out of galloways at the top of beach hill yesterday. Looked like hed gone in for a steak slice
"Ich bin Platz eins, ja"
Re: Season Summary Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:17 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Still being shot down with cannon fire.

You obviously can't read very well each of you. I said 'If Burgess leaves or retires'

You think Johnstone would require half of what Burgess earns? even with a transfer fee?

I could write both your reading skills on the back of a postage stamp in block capitals and still have space to write a novel.

You're still presuming Wakey choose to sell
Next