WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Coach of the Year

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Coach of the Year

Coach of the Year Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Congratulations Adrian Lam.

Well deserved. A team that is improving in every department under his leadership in my opinion. We probably and rightfully go into the Final as underdogs but the way he has us playing who knows?

Had to deal with the Edwards situation in season 1 and Covid in year too still players are improving and our style of play is more fan friendly which was a big part of his initial remit.

I hope he is rewarded with a 2 year deal in the coming weeks as I think he is building a great squad.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Coach of the Year Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 pm  

Trainman wrote:
Trainman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Huge congratulations from me. Makes it more special as it was voted for by his peers. He’s had to deal with a lot of adversity after the Edwards fiasco, a shocking injury toll last year and along with everyone else a global pandemic.
Re: Coach of the Year Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 pm  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Well done Lammy, you have done both the club and town proud!

Great player for us and now proving that is also a good coach in a difficult and exceptional season.

Now that new contract signed as the majority of supporters are behind you.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:15 am  

User avatarSalty wrote:
Salty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Well done, Lam. I can see improvement in a number of players, especially Powell who has been a revelation!
I like the fact that Wigan is the team that makes most passes. I like to be entertained.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 am  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I actually said on here right at the beginning of his tenure that I thought he was the right man for the job but we had such a distinctly average (being kind) season last year that I lost that conviction.

I think this year has been excellent. CC semi aside I think we've performed really well in trying circumstances building and improving as the season got to the business end. We're one game away from being champions and, whatever happens Friday, I think he's shown enough to suggest we'll be a real force next year.

Well done coach.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 am  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

No real complaints on this award. I think a case can be made for Watson and Agar also.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Does it go off just Super League or the coaches' performance as a whole? Reason I ask is if you take CC into account I'd go for Watson for taking Salford to another final despite losing important parts of his previous over-performing squad, but obviously 9th out of 11 in SL is nothing to shout about.

After Watson I'd go Agar - Leeds had a couple of years outside the play offs following losing all their top players at once, he has now delivered on the rebuilding job by winning the challenge cup and taking them back into the play offs. All without many stars IMO.

Lam - 3rd for me. Not got the same adversity as the two above as he has more stars to work with and a brilliant academy. Poor way to exit the CC but consistent in the league (albeit over a shortened season). A lot hinges on Friday to be honest. If we come away from this season with no silverware then it's a big opportunity missed IMO. We need to make the remaining years when we have French, Gildart, Hastings and Farrell count.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:22 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Does it go off just Super League or the coaches' performance as a whole? Reason I ask is if you take CC into account I'd go for Watson for taking Salford to another final despite losing important parts of his previous over-performing squad, but obviously 9th out of 11 in SL is nothing to shout about.

After Watson I'd go Agar - Leeds had a couple of years outside the play offs following losing all their top players at once, he has now delivered on the rebuilding job by winning the challenge cup and taking them back into the play offs. All without many stars IMO.

Lam - 3rd for me. Not got the same adversity as the two above as he has more stars to work with and a brilliant academy. Poor way to exit the CC but consistent in the league (albeit over a shortened season). A lot hinges on Friday to be honest. If we come away from this season with no silverware then it's a big opportunity missed IMO. We need to make the remaining years when we have French, Gildart, Hastings and Farrell count.

I wondered that with the cup. In superleague terms only it has to be Lam for me but if it took the cup in to the thinking, then Watson or Agar could’ve got it.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:36 am  

sarge1 wrote:
sarge1 Stevo's Armpit

Should’ve been Watson by a mile.
Re: Coach of the Year Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

sarge1 wrote:
Should’ve been Watson by a mile.

Well clearly not on league form, in fact he wouldn’t be in the top 5 or 6.

So do you know if the cup counts? If not then you know as much as we do and let’s presume the cup doesn’t count and that means you’re wrong. If it does then I agree with you (bar maybe the ‘by a mile’ comment),
Next