WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Some really good recruits...

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Some really good recruits...

Some really good recruits... Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:30 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1256
...joining Wigan next season according to John Wilkin on The Super League Show. Anyone heard anything that we do not already Know? :? Or was he talking about Salford?
Re: Some really good recruits... Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:13 pm  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm
Posts: 333
I'm fairly 'in the loop' with this kind of stuff but apart from Field I have heard nothing. Very well done from Wigan if they have kept more quiet though

Brian?.....
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:39 am  

User avatarThat Mon wrote:
That Mon User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:42 am
Posts: 246
Bateman ?
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:45 am  

User avatarhatty wrote:
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3625
Location: wigan...where else!!
It’ll be Bateman & Field that he’s taking about
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:39 am  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 31549
Pie_Eyter wrote:
I'm fairly 'in the loop' with this kind of stuff but apart from Field I have heard nothing. Very well done from Wigan if they have kept more quiet though

Brian?.....


Apart from Field and Bateman I haven't heard anything at all on the recruitment side.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am  

User avatarTricky Dicky wrote:
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:23 pm
Posts: 6191
Location: Wigan
We need a winger.

We cant go in to a season with only 2 wingers available
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:13 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7577
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Tricky Dicky wrote:
We need a winger.

We cant go in to a season with only 2 wingers available


Only 1 for the first half of 2021 at present and we know his injury record isnt great.

In an ideal world (and the impact of Covid on finances will impact plans) we'd recruit a winger to replace Burgess and then see where French, Hastings and Gildart end up - the last I heard they were all leaving. I know its depressing to say but it will be difficult to promote SL over the NRL at the moment with Covid under relative control in Australia, crowds back in stadia, higher quality competition and more financially stable clubs.

The only thing that might help us retain our English players is that it probably isnt the best time to move to the other side of the world from family and friends at present. I think that may have been what enabled us to keep Ethan Havard. But looking at it objectively, it sadly looks an easy decision for French and Hastings if of course they have offers.
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:38 am  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1256
Singleton has brought us a steadiness and a bit of backbone that we have been lacking. Bateman has the x factor but if we lose Hastings, French, Burgess and Gildart we will be weaker in the backs. Hopefully Smith will be able to step up but I cannot help but feel that the edges are going to be a worry. Unfortunately we look to be carrying some players who have made minimal impact for a while and so we will be limited in our purchases. If all of those players go we might be awash with space on the cap but, given the circumstances, lacking in cash.
If French goes and Zak moves back to fullback we will be a strike centre short and I cannot see either Bibby or Hankinson being able to play anything other than a holding role. If past experience is anything to go by then Bateman would cover there. If I were Hankinson I would be looking to go somewhere that would give me a bit of game time because I doubt that he will get a contract extension at Wigan.
At the moment I cannot work out if we will look weaker at the start of next season than we did at the start of this one.
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:52 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 24628
Location: WIGAN
Levrier wrote:
Singleton has brought us a steadiness and a bit of backbone that we have been lacking. Bateman has the x factor but if we lose Hastings, French, Burgess and Gildart we will be weaker in the backs. Hopefully Smith will be able to step up but I cannot help but feel that the edges are going to be a worry. Unfortunately we look to be carrying some players who have made minimal impact for a while and so we will be limited in our purchases. If all of those players go we might be awash with space on the cap but, given the circumstances, lacking in cash.
If French goes and Zak moves back to fullback we will be a strike centre short and I cannot see either Bibby or Hankinson being able to play anything other than a holding role. If past experience is anything to go by then Bateman would cover there. If I were Hankinson I would be looking to go somewhere that would give me a bit of game time because I doubt that he will get a contract extension at Wigan.
At the moment I cannot work out if we will look weaker at the start of next season than we did at the start of this one.


There’s just too many unanswered questions at the moment to know how we’ll shape up. We could be sat there bemoaning French, Gildart and Hastings all leaving or on the flip side we could see all three stay with Field coming in as a utility and Tommy moving in to the coaching department. I suspect it may fall somewhere in between. I think French will go, Gildart will do another year, Tommy will play on and we might have a sniff of keeping Hastings but it seems a total 50/50 that one. It’s all guesswork and I’m just keeping my fingers crossed we’ll be smiling at the end of it.
Re: Some really good recruits... Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1256
NickyKiss wrote:
There’s just too many unanswered questions at the moment to know how we’ll shape up. We could be sat there bemoaning French, Gildart and Hastings all leaving or on the flip side we could see all three stay with Field coming in as a utility and Tommy moving in to the coaching department. I suspect it may fall somewhere in between. I think French will go, Gildart will do another year, Tommy will play on and we might have a sniff of keeping Hastings but it seems a total 50/50 that one. It’s all guesswork and I’m just keeping my fingers crossed we’ll be smiling at the end of it.

If everything was done and dusted what would we all talk about? :lol:
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apollosghost, Barrett was robbed, CM Punk, FIOS, Froggy, Fujiman, J L Hooker, JIMMY MAGNETS, Jordan Rankin, Jukesays, JWarriors, LewCharnock, MattyB, NickyKiss, NSW, ParanoidAndroid, Phuzzy, Pieman, Rogues Gallery, secondstanza, sergeant pepper, tedglen, The Whiffy Kipper, The Yellow Giraffe, Trainman, WWste and 197 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,101,5021,33478,3404,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X