WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Mossop
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 am  

Cruncher wrote:
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 14557
Brick with eyes wrote:
Read the thread properly please , I'm implying Salford have had more out of Burke than we got out of him.


Or alternatively he just didn't stand out at Wigan.
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 am
Posts: 862
Egg Chasing, Rogues Gallery, Grimmy etc.

I only said who had been playing on the wings during the past seven seasons and suggested that the club needs to look at the wing situation for next season with Davies having gone to Catalan, Manfredi not playing as well as he was before his injuries, Marshall with a long term injury and Burgess rumoured to be going to Salford and a situation unlike previous seasons where Davies, Manfredi, Marshall etc graduated from the Academy, there is no winger in the present Academy Squad which has been as good as the three I have mentioned and therefore the club needs to look at players from elsewhere.

But as usual, you three as usual had to have a swipe at what I said without digesting the the present situation regarding the wing positions which I might add are as far as I and no doubt other supporters are concerned are not as strong as they should be at Wigan.
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14327
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Egg Chasing, Rogues Gallery, Grimmy etc.

I only said who had been playing on the wings during the past seven seasons and suggested that the club needs to look at the wing situation for next season with Davies having gone to Catalan, Manfredi not playing as well as he was before his injuries, Marshall with a long term injury and Burgess rumoured to be going to Salford and a situation unlike previous seasons where Davies, Manfredi, Marshall etc graduated from the Academy, there is no winger in the present Academy Squad which has been as good as the three I have mentioned and therefore the club needs to look at players from elsewhere.

But as usual, you three as usual had to have a swipe at what I said without digesting the the present situation regarding the wing positions which I might add are as far as I and no doubt other supporters are concerned are not as strong as they should be at Wigan.

I agree we need a backup winger, but Johnstone and Davies aren't viable options, we need a player willing to accept that he might see some time in reserves once Marshall is fit, and willing to accept a reserve winger's salary.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:00 am  
spartakmixtapes User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:06 am
Posts: 63
Grimmy wrote:
Amended above - Tierney was a fullback who could cover wing, the same as Hanley so I've taken him out.

We have only ever had three wingers when one of them is a youngster. As soon as that youngster has become established then either one of the players ahead of him has left (Charnley, Burgess then Burgess again) or the youngster himself has left (Davies). Minor exception to the rule when Manfredi has had long term injuries this keeping Davies and Marshall around longer. We can't keep three established specialist wingers at the club. One will always leave.


Further to this, I just had a look but can someone confirm, the last first choice specialist winger we signed was Amos Roberts (I'm not counting re-signing Joe Burgess) prior to that was Pat Richards (played centre first season), Mark Calderwood, Brett Dallas and they were all out of contract when they signed. Was the last specialist first choice winger we paid a fee for Brian Carney 20 years ago?
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:21 pm  

Wigg'n wrote:
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6761
Possibly Bibby as he mostly played wing last year I think. But still not specialist.

We've been extremely lucky having quality wingers come through the academy, but it looks like that is about to run out - there doesn't seem to be anyone who can step up this year or next year.
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:12 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1256
Brick with eyes wrote:
Read the thread properly please , I'm implying Salford have had more out of Burke than we got out of him.

I always liked Burke but he was always going to live upto his billing as the next SOL, especially when the next SOL turned out to be SOL. Now he has become an interchange prop who doesn't let anyone down but who was probably moving backwards down the lineup when he was released from Wigan. Sadly he would be more than capable of getting a game in this team.
Re: Mossop Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3758
Location: Atherton
spartakmixtapes wrote:
Further to this, I just had a look but can someone confirm, the last first choice specialist winger we signed was Amos Roberts (I'm not counting re-signing Joe Burgess) prior to that was Pat Richards (played centre first season), Mark Calderwood, Brett Dallas and they were all out of contract when they signed. Was the last specialist first choice winger we paid a fee for Brian Carney 20 years ago?


Roberts wasnt a specialist winger also, played a lot of 6 in the NRL and we tried to sign hima s 1 years earlier
Re: Mossop Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:33 am  

Azul wrote:
Azul Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 am
Posts: 450
Wigg'n wrote:
Possibly Bibby as he mostly played wing last year I think. But still not specialist.


He’s not very good, either.
Re: Mossop Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am  

Wigg'n wrote:
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6761
Azul wrote:
He’s not very good, either.


True.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 100% Warrior, apollosghost, Blueblood, Cherry toffee, Chesterrhino, Cruncher, Dai Jones, Darwen Warrior, hatty, jaws1, King bill King Bill, Lazy J, MadDogg, MOUSE13, NickyKiss, NSW, Phuzzy, Pieman, RedWarrior32, S_Riley, sergeant pepper, verbatim, Wigg'n and 166 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,102,1671,46678,3514,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X