WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Mossop
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:55 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Why was Johnstone a daft suggestion? im baffled by you. We need 3 wingers at this club. Marshall is out for a year, Manfredi has injury problems and looks to be on the wane a little and we have no cover. Is it really arrogant to suggest that we could poach Salford's coach. Maybe it is but there are only a few clubs capable. Its the nature of life. Salford sign players from clubs lower than them, we sign players from the likes of Salford. It's just how it is and has always been. If you can't see that then where have you been?

Johnstone - I've told you why in the post you quoted. We are working to a salary cap. He would (rightly) command a decent amount of cap space. We are already paying for two starting wingers so you either expect him to play for peanuts or want to leave us really short elsewhere. I agree we need wing backup but realistically it needs to be someone cheaper than him, maybe a loanee, promising youngster, someone from the Championship or someone who isn't getting a game in the NRL. That's what's realistic in our situation, not one of the best wingers in the league when we are already using cap space on two starters.

You keep talking about Salford like they're Swinton :lol: they were just one pass away from winning the Challenge Cup, and knocked us out of the play offs before that to make the Grand Final.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
Johnstone - I've told you why in the post you quoted. We are working to a salary cap. He would (rightly) command a decent amount of cap space. We are already paying for two starting wingers so you either expect him to play for peanuts or want to leave us really short elsewhere. I agree we need wing backup but realistically it needs to be someone cheaper than him, maybe a loanee, promising youngster, someone from the Championship or someone who isn't getting a game in the NRL. That's what's realistic in our situation, not one of the best wingers in the league when we are already using cap space on two starters.

You keep talking about Salford like they're Swinton :lol: they were just one pass away from winning the Challenge Cup, and knocked us out of the play offs before that to make the Grand Final.

Exactly that. What club has 3 first choice wingers on a first choice wingers salary? Warrington have been playing Jake Mamo there because Lineham is suspended. Saints were playing a young kid when Makinson was out.

If we bring TJ in (which is a huge risk with his injury issues) then one of Marshall or Manfredi has to go and the likes of Bibby will be 3rd choice. Otherwise we potentially lose a forward from somewhere.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:37 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

And yet given how sluggish we have looked with Bibby covering the wing I could still see Hanley getting a game there. I notice that a good u19s winger Holcroft has been allowed to leave.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 pm  

Cherry.Pie wrote:
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Levrier wrote:
And yet given how sluggish we have looked with Bibby covering the wing I could still see Hanley getting a game there. I notice that a good u19s winger Holcroft has been allowed to leave.

Did you rate Holcroft? He was a hard worker but I can't say I ever thought he was potentially Super League quality when I saw him play. Didn't seem lightning quick. Was big but not necessarily the strongest of ball carriers. Cian Tyrer seemed the most impressive winger we had, but he looks a bit small for a modern winger.

On the original subject, I would guess that Mossop has moved on and is happy playing where he is. If he were to leave Salford there would be plenty of interested parties and it may be that he wouldn't want to come back and would just look for the next new challenge. He's already been successful with Wigan. The desire to return may not be particularly strong.

It's also likely that his value to other clubs would be higher than his potential value to us. For some clubs he'd be considered an excellent pack leader and a top level signing. For us he'd probably be considered a solid front row option. We'd probably have to pay over the odds to get him and for someone who will be 32 at the start of next season that's a risk we probably don't have to take.

With salary cap constraints and a lot of money being spent on Burgess I think we'd have to try to find a decent prop who might not break the bank. Someone who is working hard in a less fancied team or maybe has one or two things to work on but could be a good addition. Players like Tinirau Arona at Wakefield or Robbie Mulhern at Hull KR.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Cherry.Pie wrote:
Did you rate Holcroft? He was a hard worker but I can't say I ever thought he was potentially Super League quality when I saw him play. Didn't seem lightning quick. Was big but not necessarily the strongest of ball carriers. Cian Tyrer seemed the most impressive winger we had, but he looks a bit small for a modern winger.

We will probably see him back as a prop in a few years.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:44 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Egg Chasing wrote:
Exactly that. What club has 3 first choice wingers on a first choice wingers salary? Warrington have been playing Jake Mamo there because Lineham is suspended. Saints were playing a young kid when Makinson was out.

If we bring TJ in (which is a huge risk with his injury issues) then one of Marshall or Manfredi has to go and the likes of Bibby will be 3rd choice. Otherwise we potentially lose a forward from somewhere.

What you mean if we signed Johnstone that Marshall or Manfredi wouldn't just gladly take a paycut and patiently sit on the sidelines until called upon? Surely they would rather be part of the greatest club in the world than than get guaranteed first team appearances and more money elsewhere. We are Wigan after all.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:54 am  

moto748 wrote:
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

How certain is it Marshall will get back to 100% fitness?
Re: Mossop Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:00 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Why was Johnstone a daft suggestion? im baffled by you. We need 3 wingers at this club. Marshall is out for a year, Manfredi has injury problems and looks to be on the wane a little and we have no cover. Is it really arrogant to suggest that we could poach Salford's coach. Maybe it is but there are only a few clubs capable. Its the nature of life. Salford sign players from clubs lower than them, we sign players from the likes of Salford. It's just how it is and has always been. If you can't see that then where have you been?

Correct, except that clubs like Salford also pick up the cast off players of bigger clubs like Wigan, some of whom then play better for them.
Re: Mossop Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:25 pm  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Correct, except that clubs like Salford also pick up the cast off players of bigger clubs like Wigan, some of whom then play better for them.

who?
Re: Mossop Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 pm  
Brick with eyes User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Pieman wrote:
who?

Dudson
PreviousNext