WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Conundrum
Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:22 am  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

If we beat Hull on Saturday and advance to the semi-final, we will play in the cup three or four days after facing our greatest rivals Saints. Added to this, unless Covid strikes, Saints will have no game for 11 days thereby being well rested when they rock up at the DW Stadium. We may have to play three games in eight days - Wakefield, Saints, Semi-final. Do we put our strongest side out on all occasions and risk being shattered for the semi or do we rest players. It will be an even bigger conundrum if we draw Saints in the last four.
Re: Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:22 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Depends on this win percentage crap but you would have to focus on the cup at this stage. Lose that and you're gone. The league has plenty to run yet.
Re: Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Sweaty Betty's wrote:
If we beat Hull on Saturday and advance to the semi-final, we will play in the cup three or four days after facing our greatest rivals Saints. Added to this, unless Covid strikes, Saints will have no game for 11 days thereby being well rested when they rock up at the DW Stadium. We may have to play three games in eight days - Wakefield, Saints, Semi-final. Do we put our strongest side out on all occasions and risk being shattered for the semi or do we rest players. It will be an even bigger conundrum if we draw Saints in the last four.

Rest players for Saints 100% for me. I’d go full tilt at Wakey to get the job done and then rotate for Saints.

If only we could get a bit of that St Helens injury/suspension luck we’d be laughing.
Re: Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:39 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
Rest players for Saints 100% for me. I’d go full tilt at Wakey to get the job done and then rotate for Saints.

If only we could get a bit of that St Helens injury/suspension luck we’d be laughing.

Agreed, if we lose to Saints we can still win the trophy. Lose in the Cup and we're out.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:16 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Realistically the cup is our only shot at silverware. Whilst I do want us to play (and beat) Saints I have to be honest and say I can’t see us winning that game. Go full tilt for the cup.

Though on a side issue I don’t see the sense whatsoever in continuing with the cup. Should have been scrapped for this season IMO
Re: Conundrum Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

100% Warrior wrote:
Realistically the cup is our only shot at silverware. Whilst I do want us to play (and beat) Saints I have to be honest and say I can’t see us winning that game. Go full tilt for the cup.

Though on a side issue I don’t see the sense whatsoever in continuing with the cup. Should have been scrapped for this season IMO

I'd have thought they would need the TV and sponsorship money. Plus at the time these decisions would have needed to be made, it probably wasn't so certain that we wouldn't be able to have a crowd in by the time the final came.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Conundrum Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:04 am  

dr_feelgood wrote:
dr_feelgood Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Depends who we end up facing in the semi.
Re: Conundrum Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:45 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
Silver RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
I'd have thought they would need the TV and sponsorship money. Plus at the time these decisions would have needed to be made, it probably wasn't so certain that we wouldn't be able to have a crowd in by the time the final came.

Yeah I know. It just seemed nonsensical to me but then again the games in this round of the CC have been fantastic
Re: Conundrum Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:19 pm  

User avatarNSW wrote:
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Personally I'd rest as many players as possible for the saints game so we are fresh for the cup. I'd be throwing out a few debuts.

Cant expect our first choice to back up after 3 days. I'd try and give the whole 17 the night off if possible.

Interestingly Saints are off next weekend so there next game is against us.
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Re: Conundrum Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:56 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
Silver RLFANS Member

NSW wrote:
Personally I'd rest as many players as possible for the saints game so we are fresh for the cup. I'd be throwing out a few debuts.

Cant expect our first choice to back up after 3 days. I'd try and give the whole 17 the night off if possible.

Interestingly Saints are off next weekend so there next game is against us.

I tend to agree. As much as I want to put our best team out v Saints and go all out to get the win, I’m quite happy to go all out for the Cup instead and rest players.
Next