WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lockers back soon.?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Lockers back soon.?

Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:18 am  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

His salary isn’t counted on the cap is it? Or a chunk of it isn’t anyway due to longevity at the club.

FWIW I think Cruncher is right. We do need to plan for post Lockers whether that’s 2021 or 2022. I think he’s a fantastic player and has been a true great for Wigan, he’s right up there with the club legends but his career is rapidly coming to an end.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:28 pm  

User avatarP-J wrote:
P-J User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

100% Warrior wrote:
His salary isn’t counted on the cap is it? Or a chunk of it isn’t anyway due to longevity at the club.

FWIW I think Cruncher is right. We do need to plan for post Lockers whether that’s 2021 or 2022. I think he’s a fantastic player and has been a true great for Wigan, he’s right up there with the club legends but his career is rapidly coming to an end.

It doesn't matter how much of his salary counts against the cap, they club have to pay the full whack out to him. Finances are tight.

He's been a brilliant player for us and, as evidenced by that Challenge Cup game, is probably still our best player - but he's no use to us on the treatment table.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Cruncher wrote:
I just feel we need to be planning for life without him.

At present he's a talisman player, but that can be a problem when the player in question is 37. The best players in the world haven't got much left in the tank at that age.

It's great to have a player so good that he can change a game on the rare occasions he appears, but what about when he suddenly can't appear because age has caught up with him? Who do you turn to then?

I've loved Lockers at Wigan, but he isn't the future. He isn't even the near-future ... and that's what we need to be looking to.

I think we’re more than doing our part at looking in to the future though to be fair to the club. That comes from the opportunities handed out by Lockers regular absences as much as anything but it’s left us really well positioned now to replace him. I recall 12-18 months back there being a debate about how we could possibly replace him and now we’re sat with Smithies, Shorrocks, Partington, Havard and Bateman as options to do just that (I’d personally rule Havard out of that list as I’d like him at prop but still).

I’m not banging a drum for him to play on as such but if there is room to offer him a playing spot and he wanted it, I’d not be against it as long as it didn’t knock on and mean we lost other, younger players. I just think he deserves a level of respect that means he retires when he wants to retire and that may mean we offer him £30-£40,000 a year only and he walks away and does a year at Toronto, Salford etc. I still think there’s a fair chance he’ll just call it quits anyway.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:23 pm  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

100% Warrior wrote:

Yes it is counted, they changed the rules a couple of years back, but what happens is that we get an additional cap allowance for the number of players that come through the academy system, up to a maximum of £100K

See section 5.11
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=289
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:15 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Yes it is counted, they changed the rules a couple of years back, but what happens is that we get an additional cap allowance for the number of players that come through the academy system, up to a maximum of £100K

See section 5.11
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=289

Shame our academy system is so poor :LIAR:
Previous