WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lockers back soon.?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Lockers back soon.?

Re: Lockers back soon.? Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

dr_feelgood wrote:
They tried this late 80s/early 90s when we were winning everything. Didn't work. We kept the opposition pinned down in their own half, got the ball back on the halfway line then racked up another try. At least with the scored against team kicking off the scoring team has to go the full length of the pitch to score.

Start of super league it was. 97 and 98. (May have been done earlier too I suppose)

Either way, it didn't work IMO and there are far more "important" rules that need changing first. The 'tackle in the air' rule is stupid with genuine attempts at the ball being penalised as no common sense is applied.

I agree though that SL, NRL and International games should be played under the same rules.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 pm  

User avatardany1979 wrote:
dany1979 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

JIMMY MAGNETS wrote:
To be fair we.dont need him.back . Doing fine it's about time we managed without him as we didnt a few seasons ago . He will retire gracefully this season I think and will retire a legend

Maybe not so fine after all?
Re: Lockers back soon.? Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:26 pm  
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

One game back and he's gone again, You couldn't make it up like
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:05 pm  

Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The Whiffy Kipper wrote:

We only play him in the big games because we can't win them without him
Re: Lockers back soon.? Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

We’ll wheel the legend out again next Saturday and it’ll be like he’s never been away. I think it was the post game BBC coverage last week that described him as a vintage Aston Martin that you just bring out the garage for special occasions and it was bob on.

As he did last week, he’ll bring 5% out of the lads around him next week and that alone is worth it’s weight in good.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:47 am  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The Whiffy Kipper wrote:

Just as well really or your be blaming him for someone else's offsides again.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:10 am  

User avatarP-J wrote:
P-J User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

NickyKiss wrote:
We’ll wheel the legend out again next Saturday and it’ll be like he’s never been away. I think it was the post game BBC coverage last week that described him as a vintage Aston Martin that you just bring out the garage for special occasions and it was bob on.

As he did last week, he’ll bring 5% out of the lads around him next week and that alone is worth it’s weight in good.

We should move on from him at the end of the season.

He's not available for selection enough to warrant his considerable salary.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

P-J wrote:

What wage is he on nowadays? I’ve not a clue but I guess it’s going down as the years go by. I’m not fussed either way on him retiring or not. It’s frustrating that he’s not available more often but when he is he still offers a lot. His influence around the place must be huge but we have got a lot of young forwards coming through now who can help fill the gap.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:10 am  

Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

P-J wrote:

I suspect he will move into a coaching role but retain his player status similar to Deacon. Wheel him out if/when we need him.

It's funny how every single player that has played with and against him rates him as one of the best in the world including the likes of Ryan Hoffman, and yet Wigan fans think he's poop. I expect it from fans of other clubs, but for our own fans not to like him is just baffling. Well, it isn't when you consider we moan about practically everything.
Re: Lockers back soon.? Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 am  

Cruncher wrote:
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
What wage is he on nowadays? I’ve not a clue but I guess it’s going down as the years go by. I’m not fussed either way on him retiring or not. It’s frustrating that he’s not available more often but when he is he still offers a lot. His influence around the place must be huge but we have got a lot of young forwards coming through now who can help fill the gap.

I just feel we need to be planning for life without him.

At present he's a talisman player, but that can be a problem when the player in question is 37. The best players in the world haven't got much left in the tank at that age.

It's great to have a player so good that he can change a game on the rare occasions he appears, but what about when he suddenly can't appear because age has caught up with him? Who do you turn to then?

I've loved Lockers at Wigan, but he isn't the future. He isn't even the near-future ... and that's what we need to be looking to.
PreviousNext