WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks

JonnyBroad wrote:
JonnyBroad Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

MR FRISK wrote:
Im afraid the game in the UK is dying a slow death and by August there will not be rugby League.Leeds have announced they will lose up to 4 million in the next 18 months! All the best players will play in Aus the rest will be picking litter from the streets :READING:

So are you saying in 5 weeks there will be no rugby leGue at all or just that they wont be back playing?? As for Leeds i am not sure of the defail as to how they will lose 200k plus a month for 18 months because of this virus? Maybe the redevelopment costs are catching up??

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

JonnyBroad wrote:
So are you saying in 5 weeks there will be no rugby leGue at all or just that they wont be back playing?? As for Lee
ds i am not sure of the defail as to how they will lose 200k plus a month for 18 months because of this virus? Maybe the redevelopment costs are catching up??

Exactly, the virus could not have come at a worse time for owner/chairman Caddick after what he has spent on updating the out of date Headingley!

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Egg Chasing wrote:
The goalposts have been shifted dramatically in terms of the structure of the season taking away any integrity it had previously. Injuries, fixtures, home advantages, the general way a season runs.

Games behind closed doors are dreadful.

We are not fully clear from this virus yet and there are more important things to consider than sport.

Try telling that to the Football Association and its Premiership, which has been made a exception to the social distancing rules applied to to all other team sports like the rest of football, rugby, cricket etc and the general public.

Even to the expense of advertisements covering the seats at every ground.

It would appear that the saying 'them and us' also applies where the top level of football is concerned!

warrior1872 wrote:
warrior1872 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I know that it's not perfect being tenants at the DW Stadium but it's times like this that teams such as Leeds,Warrington and Stains are losing out on revenue because they cannot rent out any of the conference rooms and are losing vast amounts of money
Re: Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:26 am  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Ruddy Duck wrote:
The suggested solution is like a Whitehall Farce as games will only be held at grounds where no football will be taking place, so most clubs including Wigan will be playing all their games away, while clubs like Leeds, St Helens, Warrington etc will still have some home advantage.

If games are not to be played at all grounds, what is the point of playing at all?

It will only make the financial situation of some clubs even worse!

The Sky deal, recently signed to the end of 2021, is dependant on SL fixtures being delivered. Money is talking here, as our SL club owners most likely signed the deal, as they perceive that the game could restart following government guidelines to do so "safely". Without the Sky money the game would be in an even bigger financial difficulty than it currently faces.

Ever since SL started, Sky have called the tune. Covid19 hasn't changed the balance of power.
Re: Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:53 am  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I get why they are eager to start ASAP, but I can't help thinking that they've missed a big opportunity to run some games over the festive period. Wigan Vs Saints on boxing Day for example would have been a bumper crowd. If then followed up like a mini Easter period with a Leeds/Wire on New Year's day perhaps?

I guess the need to start was just to great.

Either way I'm happy that it's back - the sooner we move on from COViD the better imo. The world can't be shackled for ever.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

sergeant pepper wrote:
I get why they are eager to start ASAP, but I can't help thinking that they've missed a big opportunity to run some games over the festive period. Wigan Vs Saints on boxing Day for example would have been a bumper crowd. If then followed up like a mini Easter period with a Leeds/Wire on New Year's day perhaps?

Either way I'm happy that it's back - the sooner we move on from COViD the better imo. The world can't be shackled for ever.

I'd love to see festive fixtures too, but the reality is SL needs a break between 2020 finishing and 2021 starting. A great idea, pity the logistics of starting 2021 at the usual early February time slot, get in the way.
Re: Could Super League Be Back In Five Weeks Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:06 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

sergeant pepper wrote:

It would be a gamble though because there’s no guarantee (and it’s probably odds against) that we’ll be back to normal come Christmas. You could be left with a Boxing Day game in freezing conditions with not many if any fans in the ground. It would also have an impact on how late next season would start. It’s already starting later now we’ve a late November finish and with the World Cup pencilled in, it becomes impossible to push back much further.

Cherry toffee Stevo's Armpit

If only three grounds are to be used in the behind closed doors fixtures will the team's who play home games there not be allowed to play there as this would give those teams an advantage also will these teams get expenses only ? Or will they make a profit from hosting these fixtures

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Having lost the ashes they can't afford to lose the world cup and a late start to 2021 would probably mean no world cup
PreviousNext