WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Closed door games.

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Closed door games.

Closed door games. Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:11 pm  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

If we are forced to play behind closed doors and assuming that the game is not televised on Sky could we show the games on Wigan TV and at least make a bit of cash for the club by selling passes? :IDEA:
Re: Closed door games. Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 pm  

User avatarPieman wrote:
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

not allowed to due to the sky contract
Re: Closed door games. Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:34 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Pieman wrote:
not allowed to due to the sky contract

I think things like that will go out of the window. I read today they’re talking of putting all premier league games on free to view TV via Sky and BT but it’ll be just in houses and the signal to pubs will be banned to stop large gatherings.

Premier league football clubs can afford to miss out on gate money, whereas rugby league clubs cannot. The clubs are going to have to do something to get some money in during what looks a guaranteed period of behind close doors games. I wonder how they’ll stand on season tickets? I get not everyone would be willing to do it but I’d be happy to waive any refunds in order to watch it online. The last thing I’d want to see is the club getting in financial bother.
Re: Closed door games. Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:24 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I don’t see the point in closed door games. If that’s the case why isn’t the Government shutting clubs, pubs, gyms, demonstrations etc.

At the end of the day it’s the bloody flu. Batten down the hatches for a week, get stuck into Netflix, have a flutter on Cheltenham, pop Lemsip like it’s going out of fashion and look forward to the “have you lost a bit of weight?” questions when you’re better.
Re: Closed door games. Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:27 pm  

User avatarMash Butty wrote:
Mash Butty User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

No one would see Ben Flowers tackles
Re: Closed door games. Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Its of little importance when compared with the loss of life of course but the spread of coronavirus is likely to have a devastating impact on rugby league.

Its difficult to predict what might happen over the coming weeks and months but I think there's a high likelihood of all sports events being either cancelled or played behind closed doors for anywhere between a 4-16 week period. Whilst Premier League clubs for example have the finances to withstand something like that, it could easily send rugby league clubs in this country into financial meltdown.

In terms of the integrity of the competition (putting finances aside), RL is probably the only sport out there where a mass cancellation of fixtures would make the competition fairer as you could simply throw out the loop fixtures.
Re: Closed door games. Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:27 am  

User avatar[Gareth] wrote:
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Mash Butty wrote:
No one would see Ben Flowers tackles

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ich bin Platz eins, ja"