u RLFANS.COM - 17 man squad for warrington WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 17 man squad for warrington

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com 17 man squad for warrington

Re: 17 man squad for warrington
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am
Posted by Grimmy on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 379
Rep Position: 68th / 78,080

Quiz Score: 248

hatty wrote:
Depending on how he’s gone in training I’d give Manfredi a run at sub, just give him 15 mins or so. Then play him for half a game against Leigh to slowly ease him back into it.

He's doubtful for the Warrington game according to an interview I saw with Lam, so we won't see him in any of the friendlies
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:58 am
Posted by Glyno65 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:58 am
Glyno65 Stevo's Armpit

Hardaker
Marshall
Hank
Bibby
J.Burgess
French
Hastings
Flower
Powell
G.Burgess
Greenwood
Faz
Smithies

Lockers
Clark
Tommy
Partington
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm
Posted by apollosghost on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:06 pm
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 189
Rep Position: 145th / 78,080

Quiz Score: 0

Hardaker
Marshall
Hankinson
Bibby
Burgess
French
Hastings
Burgess
Powell
Flower
Farrell
Greenwood
O'Loughlin

Leuluai
Bullock
Clark
Smithies/Isa
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:41 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:41 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 302
Rep Position: 91st / 78,080

hengirl wrote:
Trouble is for me at least Hardaker is a flat average centre but an excellent fullback, the best for my money at least in SL so other than for injuries move him?

I know where you're coming from but I don't think he's been afforded the opportunities at centre that he has at fullback, at least at this level. He played centre in all his games at Fev I believe and was signed by Leeds on the strength of them. Many fullbacks started in different positions and often return to them with great success. He was also given the nod at international level over Percival so he must have the tools.

I think it's more a case of what's best for the team though. I don't think keeping an individual in his preferred position (if indeed it still is his preferred position) at the expense of team balance is the right way forward. The absence of Gilly swings that in favour of Zak to centres for mine. When everyone is fit I still would like to see what the French/Hastings combination looks like. If it clicks it could be devastating.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:21 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 507
Rep Position: 44th / 78,080

Phuzzy wrote:
I know where you're coming from but I don't think he's been afforded the opportunities at centre that he has at fullback, at least at this level. He played centre in all his games at Fev I believe and was signed by Leeds on the strength of them. Many fullbacks started in different positions and often return to them with great success. He was also given the nod at international level over Percival so he must have the tools.

I think it's more a case of what's best for the team though. I don't think keeping an individual in his preferred position (if indeed it still is his preferred position) at the expense of team balance is the right way forward. The absence of Gilly swings that in favour of Zak to centres for mine. When everyone is fit I still would like to see what the French/Hastings combination looks like. If it clicks it could be devastating.

For me Hank comes in for Gilly rather than Zak and Bibby in the other centre. Otherwise what was the point in signing Bibby? French and Hastings HB, Tommy bench 9.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:26 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:26 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 302
Rep Position: 91st / 78,080

100% Warrior wrote:
For me Hank comes in for Gilly rather than Zak and Bibby in the other centre. Otherwise what was the point in signing Bibby? French and Hastings HB, Tommy bench 9.

I always saw Bibby's signing more as a 'competition for places' one rather than him being signed to be a first team starter. Not dissimilar to Hank in fact. I'm not sure I, or many others, would have been happy going into the season with a first choice centre pairing of Hank and Bibby so I don't really see the argument for going into the first game with that partnership if we potentially have a better one available. Obviously, only the coaching staff will know at this stage who is looking good but the choice seems to be an international centre or one of 2 'squad' players (no insult meant to either of the two). Seems to be a no brainer to me.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 850
Rep Position: 11th / 78,080

Bibby was one of the form centres in the comp in the last couple of months of the season. I’d certainly be looking to play him against Wire to try and continue that momentum. It helps him that he’s a natural left centre also, compared to Hardaker or Hankinson, who’d both want to play on the right.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:57 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:57 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 507
Rep Position: 44th / 78,080

Phuzzy wrote:
I always saw Bibby's signing more as a 'competition for places' one rather than him being signed to be a first team starter. Not dissimilar to Hank in fact. I'm not sure I, or many others, would have been happy going into the season with a first choice centre pairing of Hank and Bibby so I don't really see the argument for going into the first game with that partnership if we potentially have a better one available. Obviously, only the coaching staff will know at this stage who is looking good but the choice seems to be an international centre or one of 2 'squad' players (no insult meant to either of the two). Seems to be a no brainer to me.

I see your point but I put back that Hank was given the 3 shirt for 2020, indicates to me that AL sees him as a starter rather than a squad player. Throw in NK’s point that Bibby was one of the in form centres at the back end of last season and for me their not squad players. Personally I think it’ll be him and Bibby battling it out for that left centre spot and if that’s the case AL is as well starting them in the centres for the opener.

All will become clear in the coming friendlies and we can start debating the team set up and tactics!
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm
Posted by hengirl on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 217
Rep Position: 126th / 78,080

Phuzzy wrote:

I think at some point Hankinson has to be given a bit of a run in the centres,hes been at the club long enough now its time to find out if he's got what it takes and as for Bibby he was in fine fettle as last season wound down I think he will be in contention even allowing for injuries if his form carries on then he does look a fine player.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 pm
Posted by The_Enforcer on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 pm
The_Enforcer Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 392
Rep Position: 65th / 78,080

Joe Burgess should be made to sit out until theres an injury. He was terrible for the most part of last season. He thinks he is better than he is and needs a reality check.

Pick Hankinson and Bibby before him.
PreviousNext