WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Adrian Lam
Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Posted by dany1979 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:28 pm
dany1979 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 41
Rep Position: 279th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:59 am
Posts: 8262

Likely to be extra pressure on Lam this season considering additional signings and increased expectations from supporters.

What are people’s expectations this season of Lam as a coach? If Wigan don’t deliver at least one trophy can you see Lam keeping his job long term?
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:29 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:29 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 110
Rep Position: 212th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Reading between the lines, i think he's only going to be here for 12 months anyway.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 440
Rep Position: 50th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5581
There has to be a marked improvement on last season, even when we were good our games were still riddled with mistakes and poor attacking and D. I feel for the most part we relied on individual brilliance rather than the team style of play or coaching.

I can’t say I expect to make OT or Wembley. I’ve just got a horrible feeling we’ll be as shambolic as we were last season and little actual game improvement. Given that I expect Lam to last until June/July before he has been shown the door. I just don’t believe he is of the standard required and is more of a #2 than #1.

You might ask what I see as an improvement; it isn’t go one better in SL or the CC. For me it’s all about performance. A vast defensive improvement with an actual structure that works rather than the dog leg we had last season. A big attacking improvement with a clear structure and not relying on one or two players to make something out of nothing on every set. A big improvement in the pack, more go forward, more yards from the forwards and more aggression. In exchange for all the above I’d take finishing 4th, it’s all about rebuilding and a rebuild doesn’t happen in one off season with a raft of new players. A full season and 2nd pre season at least before we see real positive change in the form of results and league standings.

As always I’ll be more than happy to have to retract that, I hope we go on and win the lot but I think even for the more confident of fans that’s unlikely.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 803
Rep Position: 12th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23428
Location: WIGAN
Pressure is huge this year given the investment in the squad. Anything less than one trophy will be a failure IMO whereas last year it felt like any final appearance would be an achievement.

Hand on heart I don’t think he’ll be successful. I just don’t get a feeling the players buy in to him but we’ll see. I just hope if things aren’t working out come May/June we don’t hang about. It’s unlikely he’ll be here come 2021, so it’s now or never and if we don’t see major improvements come May/June then we need to start looking at options for this year and beyond.
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 pm
Posted by jonh on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:39 pm
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 243
Rep Position: 113th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 17076
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Looks like I’m in a minority but I’m quite optimistic about where we are going and the impact Lam can have.

I think once the farce that was the Edwards situation was resolved and he was confirmed as boss going forward the players responded and the improvement was very noticeable.

We have recruited size in the pack and depth so if we pick up an injury we have lads with size and experience to come in to replace them.

A couple of poor games by a player we can comfortably replace them competition is strong in every position.

Do I expect a trophy? I’m not sure. It is possible but Saints will take some catching given their dominance last year I guess they have to adapt to a new coach.

I am hopeful that the entertainment levels step up and we can be a little more consistent. I think we had to put a lot of energy into the middle of the season to put ourselves in contention in 2019 and that caught up with us in the playoffs.

A positive start will be a real shot in the arm and get some confidence into the team and coaches.

My main concern is the investment in Burgess. I just hope he can get back to his best form as he has seemed like a player on the decline.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:44 pm
Posted by Cruncher on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:44 pm
Cruncher Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 319
Rep Position: 83rd / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:10 am
Posts: 14340
100% Warrior wrote:
There has to be a marked improvement on last season, even when we were good our games were still riddled with mistakes and poor attacking and D. I feel for the most part we relied on individual brilliance rather than the team style of play or coaching.

I can’t say I expect to make OT or Wembley. I’ve just got a horrible feeling we’ll be as shambolic as we were last season and little actual game improvement. Given that I expect Lam to last until June/July before he has been shown the door. I just don’t believe he is of the standard required and is more of a #2 than #1.

You might ask what I see as an improvement; it isn’t go one better in SL or the CC. For me it’s all about performance. A vast defensive improvement with an actual structure that works rather than the dog leg we had last season. A big attacking improvement with a clear structure and not relying on one or two players to make something out of nothing on every set. A big improvement in the pack, more go forward, more yards from the forwards and more aggression. In exchange for all the above I’d take finishing 4th, it’s all about rebuilding and a rebuild doesn’t happen in one off season with a raft of new players. A full season and 2nd pre season at least before we see real positive change in the form of results and league standings.

As always I’ll be more than happy to have to retract that, I hope we go on and win the lot but I think even for the more confident of fans that’s unlikely.


Difficult situation for the club. I don't think you'd have to be a professional pessimist to feel the same way you do, and they must at least be considering the possibility (I personally feel we were knee-jerked into giving Lam the gig because of the nightmare scenario that Shaun Edwards left us with - we gave him the very minimum after all, a one-season deal).

But what do they do in response?

I remember hearing that IL decided not to renew Brian Noble's contract very early in his last season because we were seeing no change at all in the team since the previous one - and if you want to land a quality coach you have to start trying to source him early, anyway.

So, do we anticipate this? Is the search already tentatively on, or are we gambling that Lammy will come good?

I don't envy the person making that decision.
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 440
Rep Position: 50th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5581
Cruncher wrote:
Difficult situation for the club. I don't think you'd have to be a professional pessimist to feel the same way you do, and they must at least be considering the possibility (I personally feel we were knee-jerked into giving Lam the gig because of the nightmare scenario that Shaun Edwards left us with - we gave him the very minimum after all, a one-season deal).

But what do they do in response?

I remember hearing that IL decided not to renew Brian Noble's contract very early in his last season because we were seeing no change at all in the team since the previous one - and if you want to land a quality coach you have to start trying to source him early, anyway.

So, do we anticipate this? Is the search already tentatively on, or are we gambling that Lammy will come good?

I don't envy the person making that decision.


Me either!

I think we’re in a position that we were in 2009. Seeing whether we actually have improved or are carrying on as we were. That being said that review needs to be constant, we can’t just start like a house on fire and then plummet like the proverbial off a shovel and Lam keep hold of his job.

It’s frustrating for me because the one thing I want to say is “I’m confident we’ll win a trophy this season and make both finals”. But I just don’t see Lam being the one leading us there. I’d much rather be proved wrong than right but honestly I just don’t see it
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:21 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 363
Rep Position: 67th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 248

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 13685
Needs to be a trophy IMO. He's got two of the biggest signings of the season, the best academy, and many players with experience of winning finals together.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 am
Posted by The_Enforcer on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 am
The_Enforcer Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 380
Rep Position: 63rd / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:02 pm
Posts: 931
He is in a losing battle already. Too many players past it or on the decline and the team is short of a crafty hooker and a decent scrum half. 2 key positions that we look very weak in. Im still not convinced about the pack either. Bullock and Burgess will need to hit real form otherwise not much will improve other than a visual difference in size.
Re: Adrian Lam
Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:49 am
Posted by Ruddy Duck on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:49 am
Ruddy Duck Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 27
Rep Position: 293rd / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 am
Posts: 99
No matter who is the Coach, there will being always be some supporters who will never be happy unless Wigan are winning every game!
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigRoy, dany1979, Edinburgh Warrior, exiled Warrior, Father Ted, Jukesays, Levrier, MadDogg, MattyB, moto748, NickyKiss, Redvee69, Rogues Gallery, themightynortherner, Tricky Dicky and 189 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,993,4011,54477,9324,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 13th Feb 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
TORONTO
Sun 23rd Feb 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 8th Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Apr 14:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 25th Apr 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 3rd May 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 20th Jun 17:00
SL
HULL FC
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 28th Jun 15:00
SL
HULL KR
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 3rd Jul 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28