Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:20 pm
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 543
Rep Position: 31st / 78,043

Quiz Score: 0

MadDogg wrote:
I'd definitely have been feeling a lot more excited about the coming year. He may have crashed and burned but would have been interesting to find out.

I don't rate Lam. Hopefully I'll eat my words and we'll win something under him this season. On the other hand I rate Edwards. This season would have been a difficult task for him after so long in Union, but with his passion, fire, will to win and successes as a player and a coach at club and international level, I always have faith that Edwards knows how to win; that alone would have been enough to have me onboard.
Re: Burgess
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 115
Rep Position: 200th / 78,043

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
MadDogg wrote:
I'd definitely have been feeling a lot more excited about the coming year. He may have crashed and burned but would have been interesting to find out.

I don't rate Lam. Hopefully I'll eat my words and we'll win something under him this season. On the other hand I rate Edwards. This season would have been a difficult task for him after so long in Union, but with his passion, fire, will to win and successes as a player and a coach at club and international level, I always have faith that Edwards knows how to win; that alone would have been enough to have me onboard.

Completely agree.

Half of coaching is all about man management imo - Noble, Wane etc were all probably lacking in tactics, but had a great ability to get players up for the games that matter. Edwards would have been in the same mould imo. We'd have been passionate and drilled - exactly the two things we didn't have last year.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:22 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:22 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 273
Rep Position: 95th / 78,043

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
MadDogg wrote:

Yeah me neither (re Lam). Lots of question marks - as a tactician and as a motivator. No real evidence of a significant change in playing style (if anything we just looked like we were making it up as we went along), poor performances in big games and even described himself as rattled several times!

I dont know if anyone saw the interview with Tom Davies recently where he essentially said he left mainly because he wasn't a fan of the Adrian Lam 'style' and felt he wasn't suited to it. Comes to something when someone is moving to Catalans for a more appealing playing style.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

sergeant pepper wrote:
Completely agree.

Half of coaching is all about man management imo - Noble, Wane etc were all probably lacking in tactics, but had a great ability to get players up for the games that matter. Edwards would have been in the same mould imo. We'd have been passionate and drilled - exactly the two things we didn't have last year.

All of the above. I'll be surprised if we win anything under Lam.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:24 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:24 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

MadDogg wrote:
Yeah me neither (re Lam). Lots of question marks - as a tactician and as a motivator. No real evidence of a significant change in playing style (if anything we just looked like we were making it up as we went along), poor performances in big games and even described himself as rattled several times!

I dont know if anyone saw the interview with Tom Davies recently where he essentially said he left mainly because he wasn't a fan of the Adrian Lam 'style' and felt he wasn't suited to it. Comes to something when someone is moving to Catalans for a more appealing playing style.

Where is the interview? Like to see it mate.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:29 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 492
Rep Position: 40th / 78,043

MadDogg wrote:

I think everyone would have done. A club icon coming back to coach? Not much else to get the juices flowing than that.

But we are where we are. I still think there is a lot to be excited for but equally a bit to be concerned about as well. A season of intrigue awaits
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 273
Rep Position: 95th / 78,043

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Where is the interview? Like to see it mate.

Its in the League Express.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member

MadDogg wrote:
Its in the League Express.

Cheers bud.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 pm
Posted by sergeant pepper on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 pm
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 115
Rep Position: 200th / 78,043

As if by Magic Mr Edwards is on this weeks Will Greenwood podcast.

Whilst he doesn't have much to say about Wigan, he does mention that he was set to being Richard Hunwicks with him as his head or S&C.

If that's true then it's obviously a weakness he identified at the club & one we don't seem to have fixed.

Putting aside all the other chatter about Edwards, I'd argue he's been around enough elite level athletes and conditioners to know about this kind of stuff.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm
Posted by post on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:51 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 208
Rep Position: 131st / 78,043

Grimmy wrote:
:roll: It's a job. People leave jobs on good terms and end up returning, it happens.

Herein lies the problem if he views playing for Wigan as a job.

You don’t half talk some cr@p Grimmy.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
PreviousNext