12th Nov 22 17:5710th Aug 20 13:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:12 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
I think you misunderstand me.
I do use motorways, I have got a sat-nav

I don't go to Blackpool as much as I should but that's for Religuous reasons.

On the other hand I do work in Communications and I'll let you know that some of the new 5g technology will be incredible(the 5g phone stuff were doing just now is only the simple/easy use of this technology).

Surgeons performing operations from hundreds of miles away using VR and 5G (They're testing the latency of the signals as we speak) amongst other things will be routinely used in the near future.

I'm not sure why you think any of my post is not reasonable?
Open up your mind, embrace change, embrace opportunity, the impossible is only the impossible until it is done.
I mean, look at what has happened on Earth since the Wolfs last won the league!
Dog in space
Colour television
The internet
Women prime ministers
Man on the moon
discovered DNA
Mobile phones
Tou get my point (pretty much everything in the world since they last won it!).

Just imagine where we'll be in another 65 years!!!

I'm with you brother, let these Luddites continue to mock whilst us visionaries get on shaping the future!

Yes but 5g could have some nasty health concerns with it. Technology has to be proven safe before it becomes mainstream. I am a firm believer that mobile phones are already damaging our health and thats before 5G becomes mainstream.

I think a lot of our future technology could depend on life outside our planet. If you think of the vastness of space and what a tiny insignificant dot we are in just the Milky Way, then it is only logical that there has to be other life out there. If we ever manage to contact some of this life, who knows how our future could be shaped? Some of the technology learned could eventually find its way into sports. For all we know, there could be alien life forms already playing sport at a much higher advanced level than we are.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain965
JoinedServiceReputation
May 14 20168 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Sep 21 13:3110th Sep 21 20:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:16 pm  
This thread is absolute comedy gold, should be put in the hall of fame it’s that good
RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:16 pm  
apollosghost wrote:
Well you can tell we're well and truly in the middle of the off-season :D

Theres nothing else to talk about so might as well expand your thinking. How do you see RL in 100 years? I think its only logical that it wont look like it does today.
MattyB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20311
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200321 years109th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 22:5819th Apr 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013 & 2022

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:02 pm  
The_Enforcer wrote:
Theres nothing else to talk about so might as well expand your thinking. How do you see RL in 100 years? I think its only logical that it wont look like it does today.

If you go back 100 years to now there are of course improvements made (although trips to Castleford and Wakefield would make you think otherwise).

If the sport somehow survives the next century as a professional entity (jury still out for me - long term I think RU will swallow us up) then the game will be played by human beings and not robots or even hybrids.

To be honest I can't see it being vastly different to what we have now. Technology will of course make big improvements large screens at all stadiums, instant replay game play to everyone's devices (phones/spectacles), referee decisions given over tannoy (like they gave done for years in NFL)....hell maybe we will even get our pies and beer brought to us by drones (although this would be annoying).

Game play - some changes in rules. But still two teams of approximate 13 players on a field with a rugby ball in hand.

No magic pills to instantly make a player recover from an ACL injury either.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm  
MattyB wrote:
If you go back 100 years to now there are of course improvements made (although trips to Castleford and Wakefield would make you think otherwise).

If the sport somehow survives the next century as a professional entity (jury still out for me - long term I think RU will swallow us up) then the game will be played by human beings and not robots or even hybrids.

To be honest I can't see it being vastly different to what we have now. Technology will of course make big improvements large screens at all stadiums, instant replay game play to everyone's devices (phones/spectacles), referee decisions given over tannoy (like they gave done for years in NFL)....hell maybe we will even get our pies and beer brought to us by drones (although this would be annoying).

Game play - some changes in rules. But still two teams of approximate 13 players on a field with a rugby ball in hand.

No magic pills to instantly make a player recover from an ACL injury either.

Well we can both agree on the game not surviving another 100 years unless drastic action is taken soon.

You dont know what could be possible in time though. It may be possible to just replace a snapped ACL with an artificial one that can then be fine tuned via a bluetooth connection to a doctors laptop much like a tuner connects to a cars ECU to map it. 100 years ago knee replacements seemed impossible. In another 100 years time, a player with knee injury problems could just go in and have an 2 new knees fitted in a routine operation performed by a doctor thousands of miles away controlling a robot.
RankPostsTeam
International Star374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 201410 years308th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Nov 23 14:117th Jun 23 21:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:17 pm  
The_Enforcer wrote:
Thats all well and good but your line of thinking is what holds technology and evolution back. You have to think big and dream even bigger. It is not impossible that a special pill could be developed in the future that alters the body in ways which seem impossible right now. A special pill could even be developed that allows a human to run as fast as a cheetah. Why are cheetahs so fast? They dont have anything inside them that a human does not have. It might seem crazy right now but in many decades/centuries to come, its not beyond reality that players could be hitting speeds of 70 mph. It might not even be a pill that could achieve this but major surgery to add extra man made muscles or replace muscles with much larger man made muscles. Anything is possible, nothing is impossible.

I can see technology is not your strong point and that you dont like to think outside of the box.

A lot to unpack there...

Firstly, evolution doesn't take into account thinking. It's merely the survival of the fittest. I'm not holding technology back in anyway shape or form. I have no influence on it, nor am I skeptical about technology. For example, I believe there will be flying cars that we can sit in, I don't believe we will be able to fly naturally using our own bodies. See the difference?

Nothing of what you have suggested up there is new technology. I'm saying it won't have the application you think it will because we know this from research and study of people who have had all of the above.

- We may well discover ways in which to alter the way that the body functions. That's the science side of it, I'm completely non-skeptical about that, the body has to be able to live through it's normal process. Mutations are normal (and exposure to things like radiation increases the chance of mutations) but most don't survive because they tend to stop the body doing what it needs to rather than allowing it to do things better. I just don't believe there is any evidence to back up a human being able to build that much tissue in such a short space of time. I estimated that at 300cals per day for a year you would need to injest around 100,000 cals...in an hour.

- Cheetahs - Cheetahs are as fast as they are because they have evolved over millions of years to do get that. There was no thought process, it happened because the faster cat could catch the food, survive, and pass it's DNA to the next generation. Every so often there would be a mutation that meant that it could run even faster, and that was subsequently kept in the gene pool. The mutations that meant that it wasn't as successful, didn't. Rinse and repeat over millions of years and you get a cheetah. Humans evolved differently, you have two thumbs, walk upright and are (probably) more intelligent than a cheetah. That's what kept us alive, however the downside was we're nowhere near as quick. To move as quickly as a cheetah naturally you would have to be built like one. Humans may hit those speeds, but not naturally. It would be with outside aids like exoskeletons. I don't dispute that could be a reality because again, the technology exists already.

- Surgery - This process already exists in the form of muscle transplants. It's not a new process and it's also not a particularly successful one. Research shows the best you can hope for is 50% of previous function. That's function in the medical sense, not in the "used to be able to lift 200kg, now only lifts 100kg" sense. This is over a significant time period because it takes the mind time to improve a neurological connection, think how long it takes a child from birth to good co-ordination. Whilst the functionality may increase with better rehabilitation, I think the stumbling block will always be the brain and it's ability to establish mind muscle connections.

So, taking out all of the science side of it. Would it have any application in real life even if it were possible? No sporting association would allow any of it, as it would be performance enhancing. A pill, transplant, doesn't matter, wouldn't be allowed. Sport relies on integrity, that the winner is the better athlete through training. You lose that, you lose the reason to watch it, the sport has no reason to exist and therefore no "athletes" to have these proceedures done to them.

I just don't buy into your world of the future which says The Hulk is a reality. Telling me to open my mind like a character from The Matrix doesn't mean anything when you've offered absolutely zero on the contrary. I'll give you something though, you're well versed in irony. You've offered zero technological discussion. You've created an echo chamber for yourself and your own thoughts.

Please feel free to message me when comic book characters become a reality.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1081
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:21 pm  
secondstanza wrote:
A lot to unpack there...

Firstly, evolution doesn't take into account thinking. It's merely the survival of the fittest. I'm not holding technology back in anyway shape or form. I have no influence on it, nor am I skeptical about technology. For example, I believe there will be flying cars that we can sit in, I don't believe we will be able to fly naturally using our own bodies. See the difference?

Nothing of what you have suggested up there is new technology. I'm saying it won't have the application you think it will because we know this from research and study of people who have had all of the above.

- We may well discover ways in which to alter the way that the body functions. That's the science side of it, I'm completely non-skeptical about that, the body has to be able to live through it's normal process. Mutations are normal (and exposure to things like radiation increases the chance of mutations) but most don't survive because they tend to stop the body doing what it needs to rather than allowing it to do things better. I just don't believe there is any evidence to back up a human being able to build that much tissue in such a short space of time. I estimated that at 300cals per day for a year you would need to injest around 100,000 cals...in an hour.

- Cheetahs - Cheetahs are as fast as they are because they have evolved over millions of years to do get that. There was no thought process, it happened because the faster cat could catch the food, survive, and pass it's DNA to the next generation. Every so often there would be a mutation that meant that it could run even faster, and that was subsequently kept in the gene pool. The mutations that meant that it wasn't as successful, didn't. Rinse and repeat over millions of years and you get a cheetah. Humans evolved differently, you have two thumbs, walk upright and are (probably) more intelligent than a cheetah. That's what kept us alive, however the downside was we're nowhere near as quick. To move as quickly as a cheetah naturally you would have to be built like one. Humans may hit those speeds, but not naturally. It would be with outside aids like exoskeletons. I don't dispute that could be a reality because again, the technology exists already.

- Surgery - This process already exists in the form of muscle transplants. It's not a new process and it's also not a particularly successful one. Research shows the best you can hope for is 50% of previous function. That's function in the medical sense, not in the "used to be able to lift 200kg, now only lifts 100kg" sense. This is over a significant time period because it takes the mind time to improve a neurological connection, think how long it takes a child from birth to good co-ordination. Whilst the functionality may increase with better rehabilitation, I think the stumbling block will always be the brain and it's ability to establish mind muscle connections.

So, taking out all of the science side of it. Would it have any application in real life even if it were possible? No sporting association would allow any of it, as it would be performance enhancing. A pill, transplant, doesn't matter, wouldn't be allowed. Sport relies on integrity, that the winner is the better athlete through training. You lose that, you lose the reason to watch it, the sport has no reason to exist and therefore no "athletes" to have these proceedures done to them.

I just don't buy into your world of the future which says The Hulk is a reality. Telling me to open my mind like a character from The Matrix doesn't mean anything when you've offered absolutely zero on the contrary. I'll give you something though, you're well versed in irony. You've offered zero technological discussion. You've created an echo chamber for yourself and your own thoughts.

Please feel free to message me when comic book characters become a reality.

With all due respect, you are giving a commentary without knowing what tomorrow brings.

What if we transplant the cheetah DNA into a human? What if we are able to perform muscle transplants to a much higher standard in the future? What if we start to develop man made muscles that are 10x stronger than natural muscle?

I get what you are saying that its impossible right now and unthinkable but in the future things will keep advancing and todays methods and understandings will be obsolete.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15714
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20 200519 years93rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 20:0719th Apr 24 10:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"BOHICA"

Re: Gildart : Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 am  
I really cant tell if this is a serious debate or not at the moment
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11376
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200222 years171st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 12:173rd Apr 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Gildart : Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 am  
The_Enforcer wrote:
With all due respect, you are giving a commentary without knowing what tomorrow brings.

What if we transplant the cheetah DNA into a human? What if we are able to perform muscle transplants to a much higher standard in the future? What if we start to develop man made muscles that are 10x stronger than natural muscle?

I get what you are saying that its impossible right now and unthinkable but in the future things will keep advancing and todays methods and understandings will be obsolete.

I'm now certain this is a wind up.

Transplant cheetah DNA into a human to get faster wingers
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years82nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 24 00:2619th Apr 24 11:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Gildart : Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:52 am  
FearTheVee wrote:
I'm now certain this is a wind up.

Transplant cheetah DNA into a human to get faster wingers

Open up your mind
Don't think about the impossible - Think Big/Dream Big! :wink:

I've been thinking about All over Body suits with electrodes that guide the Body to do what a signal tells them to do.
So the coaches (We could have 13 of those who won't count on the salary cap) can control where each player is and what he does at any one time.
Remember when we were kids and we went to Southport boating lakes and did the remote control Boats (Wasn't it great back then, you didn't need lock your doors or anything - And I used to go on the Back roads as there was no motorway then - or Sat Navs, I used to use an A-Z Map).

Well - It'll be like that - Players as Robots, being controlled from the sideline
They're not "Automotons" as the young lad in Phoenix nights said it was, they were actually Robots as Robots are controlled remotely & independently whereas an Automoton performs pre-determined tasks programmed in Before.
And let me tell you if we pre-program robots and turn them into Automotons then the game will be done!!!

Anyway - I digress

All Enforcer is asking is for you to dispense with reality and think about the Future

(Remember - I said in a previous post, I've tried arguing, ignoring so now I'm just going along with it)
Meanwhile - Back on Planet Earth!
PreviousNext