Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 745
Rep Position: 14th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 0

Orrell Lad wrote:
Saints on the other hand are under unprecedented pressure to win the GF now. I read today that they are on course to break the all time RL record for the points gap between 1st and 2nd in the final league table. Mind you don't bottle another, lads :)

I was reading a story today that Holbrook resigned after the challenge cup final but the Saints board wouldn’t accept it. It’s doing the rounds in Oz by all accounts and Gary Schofield (hardly a fountain of knowledge) was bulling it up in the media.
Re: Lam as Coach
Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 281
Rep Position: 90th / 77,850

NickyKiss wrote:
I was reading a story today that Holbrook resigned after the challenge cup final but the Saints board wouldn’t accept it. It’s doing the rounds in Oz by all accounts and Gary Schofield (hardly a fountain of knowledge) was bulling it up in the media.

I saw that story too. In respect of the earlier posts, this could be huge if true. Upheaval of this kind can have a massive effect on team morale. I mentioned a while ago that the announcement of Holbrook's leaving could foreshadow a worsening in Saints form in a similar way to Wane's announcement did to us. I think we've seen that over subsequent weeks. Will this have a further effect? It's certainly a possibility and the timing, coming into the playoffs, couldn't be worse for them.
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 745
Rep Position: 14th / 77,850

Suppose it could galvanise them as well if the players think a lot of him, as you’d think it would hit them hard that their performance in the final would make Holbrook think like that.

It’s probably untrue anyway but to think we looked at a seemingly unstoppable force a couple of months back in Saints, to now see some cracks appearing is heartening. I’ve still got them as big favourites but there’s no doubt the pressure is huge.
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 am
Posted by FearTheVee on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 am
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 130
Rep Position: 179th / 77,850

This will sounds like sour grapes I fully acknowledge :) but there is a theory that big games (finals) are referees differently. Refs are more lenient, less prone to blow for technical offences in the spirit of “letting the game flow” In a way that is not the case during normal weekly rounds.

So you often get slower play the balls, skinny 10m etc which serve to level games out.

I think there is an element truth in this and that it tends to flow against the faster (better?) teams.

But lord knows we’ve had long enough to get used to it :lol:
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:02 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 281
Rep Position: 90th / 77,850

FearTheVee wrote:
This will sounds like sour grapes I fully acknowledge :) but there is a theory that big games (finals) are referees differently. Refs are more lenient, less prone to blow for technical offences in the spirit of “letting the game flow” In a way that is not the case during normal weekly rounds.

So you often get slower play the balls, skinny 10m etc which serve to level games out.

I think there is an element truth in this and that it tends to flow against the faster (better?) teams.

Could I ask where this theory is from? (Please don't say RedVee! :lol:)
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Posted by Grimmy on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 326
Rep Position: 74th / 77,850

Quiz Score: 248

FearTheVee wrote:

Can't say I've ever noticed the ptb being slower or the 10m shorter in finals. They'll be a bit less eager to penalise generally, but teams seem to play cleaner as well.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 319
Rep Position: 77th / 77,850

FearTheVee wrote:

I do actually see where you’re coming from. Big finals and big games are definitely refereed differently. But they’re also played differently too. Everything about these games is a world away from a run of the mill away trip to Hull KR for example. Thus the refereeing is, rightly or wrongly, bound to be different.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm
Posted by moto748 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 226
Rep Position: 114th / 77,850

The same argument is made about Origin games compared to ordinary NRL matches. And it's true there too.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Posted by Mash Butty on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Mash Butty User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 148
Rep Position: 164th / 77,850

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -cup-wigan
"Edwards said he decided not to take over at Wigan because he questioned his experience for the role. “It was very difficult and it is best not to say too much. I said Wigan needed a more experienced rugby league coach than me and I was right. They are doing well under Adrian Lam and I think they will win the Super League again this year.”
Interesting spin from all angles, how was he right saying experience was needed when Lam isn't experienced? How does he conclude Wigan will win under Lam this year ?
Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 319
Rep Position: 77th / 77,850

Mash Butty wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/02/shaun-edwards-france-world-cup-wigan
"Edwards said he decided not to take over at Wigan because he questioned his experience for the role. “It was very difficult and it is best not to say too much. I said Wigan needed a more experienced rugby league coach than me and I was right. They are doing well under Adrian Lam and I think they will win the Super League again this year.”
Interesting spin from all angles, how was he right saying experience was needed when Lam isn't experienced? How does he conclude Wigan will win under Lam this year ?

Sounds like him trying to justify his cowardly cop out to himself.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
PreviousNext