Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Posted by Phuzzy on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 85th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

FearTheVee wrote:
Don't know about that - we played most of last year without our best prop Walmsley and had a badly fading Wilkin and plodding Luke Douglas in the pack that lost to wire. The likes of Thompson/Ashworth/Lees/Knowles are another year and another offseason on too. I'd say our pack this year is a long way stronger than the pack we took into the play-offs, but I take your point.

That said, I don't think we lost out due to our weaker pack last year, what cost us was Barba/Richardson being very flimsy in defence late on in a game we were winning.

Just my opinion - the young lads have been playing well for sure - no question.

I said as much by referencing we could well still bottle it - so of course I would be worries in the same way I am worried we might lose to Wire on Saturday. But it is not your form or teamsheet (or that of Warrington) that concerns me, but our potentially flakey mentality.

Like I said though - just my opinion.

Fair enough. I guess we're likely to find out soon enough.
Re: Warrington
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:08 pm
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:08 pm
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 119
Rep Position: 187th / 77,894

FearTheVee wrote:
Don't know about that - we played most of last year without our best prop Walmsley and had a badly fading Wilkin and plodding Luke Douglas in the pack that lost to wire. The likes of Thompson/Ashworth/Lees/Knowles are another year and another offseason on too. I'd say our pack this year is a long way stronger than the pack we took into the play-offs, but I take your point.

That said, I don't think we lost out due to our weaker pack last year, what cost us was Barba/Richardson being very flimsy in defence late on in a game we were winning.

Just my opinion - the young lads have been playing well for sure - no question.

I said as much by referencing we could well still bottle it - so of course I would be worries in the same way I am worried we might lose to Wire on Saturday. But it is not your form or teamsheet (or that of Warrington) that concerns me, but our potentially flakey mentality.

Like I said though - just my opinion.

I spoke at length with Greg Bird prior to last seasons semi-final and he said he was happy to draw Saints, when I asked him why he said, 'Because we think their pack is soft'. I think he was proved to be right, however I do take your point that there has been an improvement this season. Much will depend on injuries in the run-in as always in the salary cap era.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Posted by Levrier on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 173
Rep Position: 145th / 77,894

Sweaty Betty's wrote:
I spoke at length with Greg Bird prior to last seasons semi-final and he said he was happy to draw Saints, when I asked him why he said, 'Because we think their pack is soft'. I think he was proved to be right, however I do take your point that there has been an improvement this season. Much will depend on injuries in the run-in as always in the salary cap era.

St Helens just seen a more complete unit this year. They are better for not being dependant upon one star name. Very few have a good word to say about Grace on here yet he fits well into their system, you could call it synergy. For all of our improvement we still do not have the go forward and relying on our defence is still too negative. We have rightly praised the youngsters but it will be a while before they regularly make the kind of dents in the defensive line that allow the backs to sweep through hence our purchases for next year.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 124
Rep Position: 183rd / 77,894

Levrier wrote:
St Helens just seen a more complete unit this year. They are better for not being dependant upon one star name. Very few have a good word to say about Grace on here yet he fits well into their system, you could call it synergy. For all of our improvement we still do not have the go forward and relying on our defence is still too negative. We have rightly praised the youngsters but it will be a while before they regularly make the kind of dents in the defensive line that allow the backs to sweep through hence our purchases for next year.

I think that is spot on.
Saints are 20 points better than us on a bad day because as you say our go forward is too weak and too slow to cause them any consistent issues from an attacking perspective.

I happy with the change in our attitude and fortune In the past few weeks but for me saints are far superior in most areas and unless they implode again I cannot see anyone stopping them winning the gf.
Next season will interesting though.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 am
Posted by moto748 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 am
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 235
Rep Position: 107th / 77,894

Greg Bird's got a cheek to talk about soft, after some of les Cats' performances this season!
Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 61
Rep Position: 241st / 77,894

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I think that is spot on.
Saints are 20 points better than us on a bad day because as you say our go forward is too weak and too slow to cause them any consistent issues from an attacking perspective.

I happy with the change in our attitude and fortune In the past few weeks but for me saints are far superior in most areas and unless they implode again I cannot see anyone stopping them winning the gf.
Next season will interesting though.

Can't argue with Saints looking far better. I still think they're only a couple of injuries in the pack from looking much more fallible than they seem at the moment.

Their forwards have been running over everyone this year, but take Thompson out of their team, put a fit Flower and SOL in ours, all of a sudden I think we can compete. Obviously all ifs and buts however and you'd make them huge favourites against anyone if the GF was tomorrow.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 124
Rep Position: 183rd / 77,894

Cherry_&_White wrote:
Can't argue with Saints looking far better. I still think they're only a couple of injuries in the pack from looking much more fallible than they seem at the moment.

Their forwards have been running over everyone this year, but take Thompson out of their team, put a fit Flower and SOL in ours, all of a sudden I think we can compete. Obviously all ifs and buts however and you'd make them huge favourites against anyone if the GF was tomorrow.

Wouldn't disagree with your comments at all.
We would have to be at full strength and at our best and saints would need to be below par with maybe as you say an injury or two to key players to give us a realistic chance
Previous