WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tommy signs new contract

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Tommy signs new contract

Re: Tommy signs new contract Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 24119
Location: WIGAN
MadDogg wrote:
Leuluai's 'bombs' aren't supposed to be difficult to catch - they just give the chase a bit of time to get forward and hopefully trap the winger as close to the corner as possible. We've been doing it for years - a bit dreary but its low risk and does tend to put us in a decent position to defend from.


We’d get even more time if he could get some height on them.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7437
Location: The Mighty Wigan
NickyKiss wrote:
We’d get even more time if he could get some height on them.


Maybe but I think he's looking for placement rather than height. He is capable of a decent bomb - see the one he put up at the Wire cup game which Charnley dropped.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 am  
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4784
MadDogg wrote:
Leuluai's 'bombs' aren't supposed to be difficult to catch - they just give the chase a bit of time to get forward and hopefully trap the winger as close to the corner as possible. We've been doing it for years - a bit dreary but its low risk and does tend to put us in a decent position to defend from.


What nonsense. All bombs are meant to be difficult to catch, what's better, a knock on/spilled attempt to catch or a safe catch? Even if the catch is made, a difficult bomb will actually put the receiving time under more pressure.

Heard it all now.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7437
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
What nonsense. All bombs are meant to be difficult to catch, what's better, a knock on/spilled attempt to catch or a safe catch? Even if the catch is made, a difficult bomb will actually put the receiving time under more pressure.

Heard it all now.


Which is why I used the word 'bombs' in inverted commas - you can't really describe those kicks as that. They're more lofted kicks aimed at placement rather than height.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 am  
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4784
MadDogg wrote:
Which is why I used the word 'bombs' in inverted commas - you can't really describe those kicks as that. They're more lofted kicks aimed at placement rather than height.


Bomb or no bomb. The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach. There's numerous different kicks/tactics which can be implemented on the last tackle for different effects on the opposition, if the desire was to trap the opposition winger into the corner, a 'lofted' kick wouldn't be used at all.

For a 7, Tommy's kicking game has always been terrible.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 1446
Location: Watching Rugby League
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach.


We were coached under Wane to do just that which is why we never kicked to touch. He wanted to keep the ball in play as he believed we were fitter than them.

We lost several close games in the last minutes because we were incapable of running the clock down.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 pm  
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4784
Egg Chasing wrote:
We were coached under Wane to do just that which is why we never kicked to touch. He wanted to keep the ball in play as he believed we were fitter than them.

We lost several close games in the last minutes because we were incapable of running the clock down.


There's a massive difference between keeping the ball in the field of play and handing back the ball via a 'lofted kick'. Where are you even getting this from? If the kick goes straight to the winger or FB it's a poor kick.
Keeping the ball in the field of play is a tactic, but you split the FB and winger making one of them have to cover ground to field the ball, usually a kick is to 'find the floor' first, this allows the kicking team more time to chase the ball up the pitch and pen the fielding opposition in their own half.

Keep the ball in the field of play and 'a lofted kick to directly to the opposition' are vastly different.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm  

apollosghost wrote:
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
There's a massive difference between keeping the ball in the field of play and handing back the ball via a 'lofted kick'. Where are you even getting this from? If the kick goes straight to the winger or FB it's a poor kick.
Keeping the ball in the field of play is a tactic, but you split the FB and winger making one of them have to cover ground to field the ball, usually a kick is to 'find the floor' first, this allows the kicking team more time to chase the ball up the pitch and pen the fielding opposition in their own half.

Keep the ball in the field of play and 'a lofted kick to directly to the opposition' are vastly different.


See Sammut v Catalans at home, masterclass, they were dead on their feet with 20mins to go.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 pm  
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4784
apollosghost wrote:
See Sammut v Catalans at home, masterclass, they were dead on their feet with 20mins to go.


I give up.
Re: Tommy signs new contract Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm  

warrior1872 wrote:
warrior1872 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 563
Location: smelly warrington unfortunately
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Bomb or no bomb. The idea of basically handing the ball back to the opposition from the last tackle would never fit in the vocabulary of any player or coach. There's numerous different kicks/tactics which can be implemented on the last tackle for different effects on the opposition, if the desire was to trap the opposition winger into the corner, a 'lofted' kick wouldn't be used at all.

For a 7, Tommy's kicking game has always been terrible.

Tommy has always been a better hooker than scrum half
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KingRoss11, MadDogg, nidger, Pieman, sergeant pepper, warrior1872, Yahoo [Bot] and 108 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,071,57670178,2214,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts