Re: Joe Burgess
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
Posted by Levrier on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 165
Rep Position: 148th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 0

Burgess gives us the option of a long distance attack down the wing. With the exception of Gildart, and to a lesser extent Sammut, no one seems capable of promoting a break. Having the threat of a player like Burgess outside stretches the defensive line.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 191
Rep Position: 128th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 80

Rogues Gallery wrote:
And how good was Sarginson again last night, my m.o.m.

Phenomenal. We will miss his carries next season, unless someone can replace them.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm
Posted by NSW on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48 pm
NSW User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 127
Rep Position: 176th / 77,819

Sarge was unbelievable last night. Taking carry after carry when the forwards were gassed
RICHARDS IS SUPERMAN!!!!

Wire_91 wrote:its your first final in about 8 years and now you ravin and rantin about it F**k off, and ill be going old trafford tomoz cheering on the saints and ill be writing on this forum givin you loads of shi* when your drying you eyes and the wire fan will be here handing out the tissues in the thousands, thats if you do take that many fans cause now it looks like its your fans who have jumped on the band wagon now your in a final, this time last year there was only 1000 people in the jjb and now its fillin up cause youve won the league hahaha proper true supporters you are
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 122
Rep Position: 180th / 77,819

Quiz Score: 12

Rogues Gallery wrote:
It would appears we've found a new scapegoat. He didn't have his best game but was nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be. 98 metres with the ball and no mention of the tackle when he came flying across from his own wing to make a try saving tackle on the opposite side of the field.
I wonder if some of our "fans" have migrated over with the other site being down?

And how good was Sarginson again last night, my m.o.m.

Spot on.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 pm
Posted by apollosghost on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 pm
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 157
Rep Position: 153rd / 77,819

I don't think it's a matter of him being a scapegoat, he's just been out of form and I don't think it's unfair to point it out.
Maybe he's dropped into a bit of a comfort zone with Manfredi and Davies being done for the year, I really hope he can play like he can play but at the moment he isn't doing it IMO.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 496
Rep Position: 35th / 77,819

apollosghost wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of him being a scapegoat, he's just been out of form and I don't think it's unfair to point it out.
Maybe he's dropped into a bit of a comfort zone with Manfredi and Davies being done for the year, I really hope he can play like he can play but at the moment he isn't doing it IMO.

It’s definitely not unfair to say he’s out of form but there are comments on this thread saying he’s no good. That’s just wrong. He’s an excellent winger but as you say, his form isn’t good.
The point about him being relaxed due to the injuries to Manfredi and Davies is a little off considering French has been brought in. Budgie knows French has pace to burn and last night was a real chance to say ‘get lost, this is my spot!’ Sadly, Marshall made that statement far better than Burgess did. That said, I’m confident Budgie will come good.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,819

Bigredwarrior wrote:
It’s definitely not unfair to say he’s out of form but there are comments on this thread saying he’s no good. That’s just wrong. He’s an excellent winger but as you say, his form isn’t good.
The point about him being relaxed due to the injuries to Manfredi and Davies is a little off considering French has been brought in. Budgie knows French has pace to burn and last night was a real chance to say ‘get lost, this is my spot!’ Sadly, Marshall made that statement far better than Burgess did. That said, I’m confident Budgie will come good.

Totally agree. Burgess has all the physical attributes to be outstanding, I think he just needs time to find his rhythm and he'll show us what he can do. He's out of form, can't disagree, but I have faith he'll return to form. Time to tell.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:09 am
Posted by stpatricks on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:09 am
stpatricks User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 245th / 77,819

At the start of the season Davies looked out of form. I had him as better than Marshall but Marshall was doing more and looked stronger bringing the ball out. Both suffered injuries and Marshall came back and has played strapped up. The team needed him and he's let no one down. For all round game Marshall lacks in what he provides for others he is a finisher but does not lay on chances for others. Burgess can finish and can break and link with others. If French comes in I think it will be for Marshall.
Wigan home of league
Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:33 am
Posted by Ruddy Duck on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:33 am
Ruddy Duck Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 282nd / 77,819

All players have a bad patch, and Burgess is no different, so give the lad a break.

Unfortunally, with injuries to Davies and Manfredi, there is not the same pressure on the wing positions, as there is for example at half back, where we have a number of options.

Perhaps with the signing of French, the pressure will increase.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am
Posted by JWarriors on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am
JWarriors Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 79
Rep Position: 219th / 77,819

stpatricks wrote:
At the start of the season Davies looked out of form. I had him as better than Marshall but Marshall was doing more and looked stronger bringing the ball out. Both suffered injuries and Marshall came back and has played strapped up. The team needed him and he's let no one down. For all round game Marshall lacks in what he provides for others he is a finisher but does not lay on chances for others. Burgess can finish and can break and link with others. If French comes in I think it will be for Marshall.

Comparing Marshall to Burgess, Burgess lays more chances for others. But Marshall definitely does lay on more chances for others than Davies or Manfredi.

Look back at highlights for the last couple of years, his inside pass after a break has been good and he’s even put in some good kicks back inside to supporting runners.

I think Marshall is the best finisher in the team - I can’t believe I agreed with Phil Clarke - but he has a great chance to conversion ratio.
Previous