WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan 19 for Thursday against Wakefield.

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Wigan 19 for Thursday against Wakefield.

Posted by Cherry_&_White on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 60
Rep Position: 237th / 77,823

Quiz Score: 0

NSW wrote:
Bilko nailed it on Twitter “ Whatever will be will be this season but seeing Smithies, Partington, Byrne & Havard muscling up in the middle is looking money in the bank for later. Short term pain this year could be long term gain.“

We all admire saints pack but they went through some tough years blooding the young lads and look at them now

Totally agree with this. There were several games against that lot where their pack was found wanting. Richards doesn't look like he'll be more than a plodder, but Knowles and Thompson are reaping the rewards.

That said, we won't have a sniff of anything this year without having at least a couple of Lockers, Flower, Bullock and Greenwood being back and somewhere near full fitness. Even then it's hard to see us overcoming Saints at present, but I think they're only a couple of injuries in the pack away from being much more beatable than they seem.
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 735
Rep Position: 13th / 77,823

NSW wrote:
Bilko nailed it on Twitter “ Whatever will be will be this season but seeing Smithies, Partington, Byrne & Havard muscling up in the middle is looking money in the bank for later. Short term pain this year could be long term gain.“

We all admire saints pack but they went through some tough years blooding the young lads and look at them now

Absolutely right. There was a time this season when we weren’t sure what we’d have to show for this season, other than maybe steering clear of relegation but we’re now not in a bad spot and regardless of how it all ends there’s a number of young lads who’ve come in to the team and shown just how much talent there is sitting in the academy at the moment. A lot are very young in forward terms but with the new reserve system in place for 2020 we really are in a good spot going forward.
Posted by Levrier on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 165
Rep Position: 149th / 77,823

Very impressed with the young lads. Harvard and Byrne can mix it in the middle. I am not sure that Partington will be at his best mixing it with the big middles and might benefit from running slightly wider. My big concern is Smithies who is doing a fine job deputising for SOL but has a build more like Bateman and may be more effective further out.
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 186th / 77,823

NickyKiss wrote:
We can’t be anything but happy with that. Good performances from Hardaker, Williams, Sammut, Navarette, Isa and Smithies (amongst others) for me and an absolute master class by the most underrated player in world rugby leaguèe in Liam Farrell.

Players back on board for Hull and things are looking up.

I thought Isa had a good first half in fact one his best games overall for us. Wouldn't drop Isa when Greenwood gets back and for me Smithies currently is a better bet than Greenwood therefore, Greenwood probably would struggle to even get a bench place when all our forwards are back.

Hopefully we never have to see Faz playing on the right again as he is clearly by a country mile our best 2nd rower on the left hand side.
Posted by Phuzzy on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 pm
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 270
Rep Position: 91st / 77,823

THE HINDLEY WARRIOR wrote:
But how many minutes has he been on the pitch?

I think this quote from Adrian Lam answers your question:

“Lockers has played more than many people realise, until a week or two ago he was top-four for minutes on the field,” he said.
Posted by MadDogg on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:48 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 107th / 77,823

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I thought Isa had a good first half in fact one his best games overall for us. Wouldn't drop Isa when Greenwood gets back and for me Smithies currently is a better bet than Greenwood therefore, Greenwood probably would struggle to even get a bench place when all our forwards are back.

Hopefully we never have to see Faz playing on the right again as he is clearly by a country mile our best 2nd rower on the left hand side.

We should continue with Faz and Isa (who's also in decent form) as starting second rowers and bring Greenwood off the bench for O'Loughlin. Maybe move Faz to 13 for a spell.
Posted by Jukesays on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 pm
Jukesays User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 261
Rep Position: 96th / 77,823

THE HINDLEY WARRIOR wrote:
But how many minutes has he been on the pitch?

“Lockers has played more than many people realise, until a week or two ago he was top-four for minutes on the field,” he said.
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!
Previous