WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 19 man squad for St Helens Friday

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com 19 man squad for St Helens Friday

Re: 19 man squad for St Helens Friday
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 384
Rep Position: 59th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Well that’s us back down to Earth with a bump - a result and performance I feared.

Did more to back my opinion that Lam isn’t the one for Wigan than to back up the clubs decision to hand him a new deal. We were negative, dull and predictable with the only spark being Hardakers try which was excellent.

I can’t quite believe the gulf in class and the drop we’ve had from last season to this.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:30 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:30 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 515
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,905

100% Warrior wrote:
Well that’s us back down to Earth with a bump - a result and performance I feared.

Did more to back my opinion that Lam isn’t the one for Wigan than to back up the clubs decision to hand him a new deal. We were negative, dull and predictable with the only spark being Hardakers try which was excellent.

I can’t quite believe the gulf in class and the drop we’ve had from last season to this.

Utter rubbish. Is it Lam’s fault we lost Hamlin, Tautai, Flower, Clubb, Greenwood and Lockers from the squad at the start of the season? No it isn’t. What about Davies and Manfredi? No it isn’t.
Saints are clearly the best side in the competition and beat us fair and square but it has to be taken in context. None of that is down to Lam.
It was always going to be a transitional season and we’ll definitely be in the play offs. When we are, nobody will want to play us. Partington and Smithies are great prospects but tonight was reminiscent of Cas away. Young lads beaten by top forwards. That wouldn’t happen if Flower, Clubb and Lockers has played.
We might not have won tonight but our forwards would have given us a bit more resilience. Young lads can’t win the big games on their own and need the support of experienced players around them.
We’ll beat Wakey next week and go on another run.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 384
Rep Position: 59th / 77,905

Bigredwarrior wrote:
Utter rubbish. Is it Lam’s fault we lost Hamlin, Tautai, Flower, Clubb, Greenwood and Lockers from the squad at the start of the season? No it isn’t. What about Davies and Manfredi? No it isn’t.
Saints are clearly the best side in the competition and beat us fair and square but it has to be taken in context. None of that is down to Lam.
It was always going to be a transitional season and we’ll definitely be in the play offs. When we are, nobody will want to play us. Partington and Smithies are great prospects but tonight was reminiscent of Cas away. Young lads beaten by top forwards. That wouldn’t happen if Flower, Clubb and Lockers has played.
We might not have won tonight but our forwards would have given us a bit more resilience. Young lads can’t win the big games on their own and need the support of experienced players around them.
We’ll beat Wakey next week and go on another run.

Give over.

Stop excusing a poor performance, a far cry from last weeks words when you’d have thought we were world beaters. Our attack collapsed, defence poor, predictable and negative. That you can lay at Lam’s door; as per it was prior to our run, which as good as it was let’s be fair and say we beat teams we should be beating anyway.

I’ll have we were weak in our forwards, no one can say we weren’t but that still does not excuse the performance given. Talk about a “Good Friday” debacle, it’s a “Bad Friday” debacle tonight.

Dress it up how you like if it makes you feel any better but that was nothing short of shambolic.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 779
Rep Position: 13th / 77,905

It was always going to be a bridge too far tonight minus 4 props from the start of the season plus Lockers and Greenwood. I wouldn’t start pointing fingers at Lam but I would question the teams decisions tonight. I thought going for the two points at 0-0 and then 6-2 was just throwing much needed field position away and giving their front row and their defensive line speed an easy way of keeping us pinned in our half. We’d troubled them in the first 5-10 mins as well but then had to do too much defending.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 515
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,905

NickyKiss wrote:
It was always going to be a bridge too far tonight minus 4 props from the start of the season plus Lockers and Greenwood. I wouldn’t start pointing fingers at Lam but I would question the teams decisions tonight. I thought going for the two points at 0-0 and then 6-2 was just throwing much needed field position away and giving their front row and their defensive line speed an easy way of keeping us pinned in our half. We’d troubled them in the first 5-10 mins as well but then had to do too much defending.

Totally agree. Our pack was steamrollered again and when that happens we have no decient field position and no ball because we give penalties away to try and slow them down. It’s a stark reality that we’re desperate for reinforcements up front.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm
Posted by Brick with eyes on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm
Brick with eyes User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 261st / 77,905

I thought Partington and Smithies were outstanding in their two spells . When they were off the field we struggled to defend . Two great prospects there for Canberra Raiders
Nice to see Jack Wells back in tonight’s squad
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm
Posted by apollosghost on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 165
Rep Position: 156th / 77,905

Never had much of a chance looking at the packs tonight but for god's sake there's no need to keep gifting this Saints team points.
Surely they should realise when Saints set up that shift play to the right Makinson is never more than two feet off the touchline because he knows that's where the ball is going.
Why Burgess keeps coming in is beyond me, he stank the place out tonight and if any of the U'19's wingers are in form they should play next week, he's gone from our No.1 to No.4 IMO.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 249
Rep Position: 106th / 77,905

As I said at the start of the week it was a case of taking the inevitable hit and moving on. A 20 point loss is about what I thought it would be.

The Wakefield was the bigger game even before tonight - if we can sneak a win there we have over 2 weeks to regroup and hopefully get a few forwards back. The concern is there are more injuries from tonight and we now have literally no senior prop forwards.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 249
Rep Position: 106th / 77,905

apollosghost wrote:
Never had much of a chance looking at the packs tonight but for god's sake there's no need to keep gifting this Saints team points.
Surely they should realise when Saints set up that shift play to the right Makinson is never more than two feet off the touchline because he knows that's where the ball is going.
Why Burgess keeps coming in is beyond me, he stank the place out tonight and if any of the U'19's wingers are in form they should play next week, he's gone from our No.1 to No.4 IMO.

He won't be available for a while anyway - he's done his shoulder.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:08 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 779
Rep Position: 13th / 77,905

apollosghost wrote:

I’ve questioned the attitude of Burgess before and after a flying comeback this year, he’s gone backwards since the new deal was signed and I can’t say I’m surprised. He’s so so talented but he just doesn’t look to have the desire to be the best player he can be.

Frustrating
PreviousNext