WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Lam to stay on in 2020
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 am
Posted by FearTheVee on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 am
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 136
Rep Position: 179th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 10783
Location: Much too far South
Wigan’s accounts now online - not happy reading at all.

Interesting to read a statement that the “pioneering tour to Australia” apparently “contributed significantly to the Company’s below budget performance in the year”

I recall being shouted down when I questioned some of the claimed benefits of that farce.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:24 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:24 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 127
Rep Position: 187th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 12

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 3780
FearTheVee wrote:
Wigan’s accounts now online - not happy reading at all.

Interesting to read a statement that the “pioneering tour to Australia” apparently “contributed significantly to the Company’s below budget performance in the year”

I recall being shouted down when I questioned some of the claimed benefits of that farce.

WUM
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Posted by Darwen Warrior on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Darwen Warrior User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 296th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:20 pm
Posts: 138
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
FearTheVee wrote:
Interesting to read a statement that the “pioneering tour to Australia” apparently “contributed significantly to the Company’s below budget performance in the year”.


I never really questioned both the Millwall and Australia ‘experiments’ at the time because if you need to generate extra revenue, you’ve got to try something, or you’ll never know.

I started to have my doubts, however, when after the blaze of publicity that both games got, there was an eery silence with regard to the pounds, shillings and pence that may have been generated from the two games.

I’m not knocking Mr Lenagan, far from it, he’s been a huge success for Wigan and it’s clear to see that he’s a forward thinker but it’s kind of ironic that the Australia game has cost us significantly rather than made us money. I’m sure the Millwall game would have done likewise.

Difficult times and not just for Wigan.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:04 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:04 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 383
Rep Position: 60th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5455
Darwen Warrior wrote:
I never really questioned both the Millwall and Australia ‘experiments’ at the time because if you need to generate extra revenue, you’ve got to try something, or you’ll never know.

I started to have my doubts, however, when after the blaze of publicity that both games got, there was an eery silence with regard to the pounds, shillings and pence that may have been generated from the two games.

I’m not knocking Mr Lenagan, far from it, he’s been a huge success for Wigan and it’s clear to see that he’s a forward thinker but it’s kind of ironic that the Australia game has cost us significantly rather than made us money. I’m sure the Millwall game would have done likewise.

Difficult times and not just for Wigan.


I didn’t see the sense in either at the time and I still don’t now. We took games away from our core support, taking them on the road. We should be advertising effectively everyday in and around Wigan. There’s more than enough RL fans in Wigan to fill that stadia 3/4 times over.

Tickets are affordable so we can’t blame that. It’s been poor marketing IMO. You only have to look the other end of the A49 in Warrington to see what effective marketing does for your crowds.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:10 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:10 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 778
Rep Position: 13th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23357
Location: WIGAN
100% Warrior wrote:
I didn’t see the sense in either at the time and I still don’t now. We took games away from our core support, taking them on the road. We should be advertising effectively everyday in and around Wigan. There’s more than enough RL fans in Wigan to fill that stadia 3/4 times over.

Tickets are affordable so we can’t blame that. It’s been poor marketing IMO. You only have to look the other end of the A49 in Warrington to see what effective marketing does for your crowds.


There really needs to be a huge effort to engage the Wigan pubic ahead of next season and our marketing needs to get back to its levels of a few years back. The likes of Hastings, G Burgess and Lam himself are engaging characters and we need to tap in to that. Things like fans forums, Q & A’s etc need to pushed. Mr Lenagan needs to start communicating more and we really need to push hard for season ticket sales. The fact that u8’s can now get a free season ticket should be huge. What young junior rugby player in this town shouldn’t have one of those? Mr Lenagan has put his money where his mouth is, so with some promotion and engagement activities, there’s no reason why there shouldn’t be a massive buzz around the place ahead of 2020.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:17 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:17 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 383
Rep Position: 60th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5455
NickyKiss wrote:
There really needs to be a huge effort to engage the Wigan pubic ahead of next season and our marketing needs to get back to its levels of a few years back. The likes of Hastings, G Burgess and Lam himself are engaging characters and we need to tap in to that. Things like fans forums, Q & A’s etc need to pushed. Mr Lenagan needs to start communicating more and we really need to push hard for season ticket sales. The fact that u8’s can now get a free season ticket should be huge. What young junior rugby player in this town shouldn’t have one of those? Mr Lenagan has put his money where his mouth is, so with some promotion and engagement activities, there’s no reason why there shouldn’t be a massive buzz around the place ahead of 2020.


Could not agree anymore.

Also throw in that you can pay monthly for your season ticket instead of a lump sum as well as the memberships and it makes it much more affordable. The issue is knowing about it. You have to get into the complicated ticketing website to find this out when it should be plastered all over billboards across the town, all over social media, posters at amateur clubs, radio adverts etc.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 pm
Posted by MattyB on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 pm
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 236
Rep Position: 107th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:31 pm
Posts: 18478
NickyKiss wrote:
There really needs to be a huge effort to engage the Wigan pubic ahead of next season and our marketing needs to get back to its levels of a few years back. The likes of Hastings, G Burgess and Lam himself are engaging characters and we need to tap in to that. Things like fans forums, Q & A’s etc need to pushed. Mr Lenagan needs to start communicating more and we really need to push hard for season ticket sales. The fact that u8’s can now get a free season ticket should be huge. What young junior rugby player in this town shouldn’t have one of those? Mr Lenagan has put his money where his mouth is, so with some promotion and engagement activities, there’s no reason why there shouldn’t be a massive buzz around the place ahead of 2020.


Season ticket application forms need to be sent to every coach (ages 5-8) for every amateur club in the area. Make a big push on it, send in a couple of senior players during the off season. Meet and greet in the clubhouses, photo opportunities and get kids signed up for their free season tickets.

That's four age groups (4 x 20 kids per club). That's before any of the parents sign up as well.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012



Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 am
Posted by jinkin jimmy on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 am
jinkin jimmy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 127
Rep Position: 187th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 12

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 3780
100% Warrior wrote:
I didn’t see the sense in either at the time and I still don’t now. We took games away from our core support, taking them on the road. We should be advertising effectively everyday in and around Wigan. There’s more than enough RL fans in Wigan to fill that stadia 3/4 times over.

Tickets are affordable in my opinion so we can’t blame that. It’s been poor marketing IMO. You only have to look the other end of the A49 in Warrington to see what effective marketing does for your crowds.

Edited.
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 am
Posted by 100% Warrior on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 am
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 383
Rep Position: 60th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5455
jinkin jimmy wrote:
Edited.


Not going to argue. Season ticket affordability are subjective after all.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Lam to stay on in 2020
Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am
Posted by Phuzzy on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 290
Rep Position: 88th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3608
Location: Just about to go do some work!
jinkin jimmy wrote:
Edited.

I disagree JJ. They are definitely affordable. I'm not sure how much more affordable they could reasonably be expected to be, especially given the new rise of free tickets to cover up to age 8. Whether any given individual can afford them is an entirely different argument.

affordable
/əˈfɔːdəbəl/
adjective
inexpensive; reasonably priced.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA, CM Punk, endoman, exiled Warrior, MorePlaymakersNeeded, Rogues Gallery, sergeant pepper, Sweaty Betty's, The Whiffy Kipper, Trainman, warrior1872, wigginswarrior and 145 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,983,8241,46177,9044,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 13th Feb 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
TORONTO
Sun 23rd Feb 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 8th Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Apr 14:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 25th Apr 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 3rd May 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 20th Jun 17:00
SL
HULL FC
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28