FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Leeds Rhinos 6 - 0 Huddersfield Giants LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Momirovski Try, Martin Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 12 - 0 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Lomax Try, Percival Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : Wigan Warriors 6 - 0 Castleford Tigers LIVE ON SKY SPORTS French Try, Keighran Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Why do Saints look unbeatable?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29271
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 14:1619th Apr 24 11:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:07 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
Not Challenge Cup finals though. Warrington have a good record there.

They did have but they’ve lost their last two there and it’s those two most of this squad remember.

It’s an intriguing final because of huge amount of final losses both sides have. Saints really should be too good for them but yesterday must’ve got some alarm bells ringing for them and it’ll give everyone in superleague a reminder that knock out games and finals are totally different to run of the mill league games. Saints 2018 and Cas 2017 know that only too well.
AS108 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Oct 20 18:3818th Oct 19 20:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:48 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
They did have but they’ve lost their last two there and it’s those two most of this squad remember.

It’s an intriguing final because of huge amount of final losses both sides have. Saints really should be too good for them but yesterday must’ve got some alarm bells ringing for them and it’ll give everyone in superleague a reminder that knock out games and finals are totally different to run of the mill league games. Saints 2018 and Cas 2017 know that only too well.

If anything, it should have got some alarm bells ringing for Wigan seeing as though Halifax give us a better game than you have in any of our 3 meetings. The idea that we were going to put 60 on Halifax is nonsense. It was their biggest game of the season and as their season is effectively finished and has been for a while they were always going to give everything and match us for effort and intensity. Throw that in with the rain and us having to shift players about because of Coote’s injury a 24 point win was probably about right. An easy win and off to Wembley we go. If Warrington want to beat us they need to change everything about their attack, it’s blunt and predicatble. I’d much rather play them than Hull.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:59 pm  
AS108 wrote:
If anything, it should have got some alarm bells ringing for Wigan seeing as though Halifax give us a better game than you have in any of our 3 meetings. The idea that we were going to put 60 on Halifax is nonsense. It was their biggest game of the season and as their season is effectively finished and has been for a while they were always going to give everything and match us for effort and intensity. Throw that in with the rain and us having to shift players about because of Coote’s injury a 24 point win was probably about right. An easy win and off to Wembley we go. If Warrington want to beat us they need to change everything about their attack, it’s blunt and predicatble. I’d much rather play them than Hull.

The Fax players had been working on building sites and farms in the intense heat all week and you struggled to put them away. Using excuses like ‘it was raining’ or ‘we were missing Lachlan Coote’ really won’t wash and it was clear your players were having a few mental wobbles.

Dress it up how you like, make out in your mind that it’s the rest of superleague who should actually feel worried because they’re somehow inferior to a part time team, struggling in the championship but teams will be using yesterday as a blueprint and the signs from your lads yesterday should be a huge worry to your supporters.
AS108 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:17 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
The Fax players had been working on building sites and farms in the intense heat all week and you struggled to put them away. Using excuses like ‘it was raining’ or ‘we were missing Lachlan Coote’ really won’t wash and it was clear your players were having a few mental wobbles.

Dress it up how you like, make out in your mind that it’s the rest of superleague who should actually feel worried because they’re somehow inferior to a part time team, struggling in the championship but teams will be using yesterday as a blueprint and the signs from your lads yesterday should be a huge worry to your supporters.

Yes it is a huge worry that we won a semi final by 24 points and are now going to Wembley whilst also having a 10 point in the league. I’m sure absolutely no one else would want to be in the same position as us.

If teams are using a game that saw us win easily, without our line being troubled, as a blueprint then we’ll win every game that’s left this season. Also whether you like it or not Halifax were more competitive against us than Wigan were. You’re trying to tell yourself that we’ve got problems because we ‘only’ won by 24 points when really you’re very concerned. Good to see.
RankPostsTeam
International Star435No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 29 201014 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Oct 23 02:0624th Sep 23 22:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:19 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:

Well put it this way pal, we ain't remotely worried about your shower who are easy beats for us this season.

FWIW I'd much rather be playing Wigan in the final rather than Warrington as you're an inferior side to them. It wasn't so long ago your mob were screaming for Lam's head on here.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:43 pm  
AS108 wrote:
Yes it is a huge worry that we won a semi final by 24 points and are now going to Wembley whilst also having a 10 point in the league. I’m sure absolutely no one else would want to be in the same position as us.

If teams are using a game that saw us win easily, without our line being troubled, as a blueprint then we’ll win every game that’s left this season. Also whether you like it or not Halifax were more competitive against us than Wigan were. You’re trying to tell yourself that we’ve got problems because we ‘only’ won by 24 points when really you’re very concerned. Good to see.

The debate wasn't about wanting to be in your position, it was about your players ability to deal with semi final and final pressure and the signs yesterday were pretty shocking. Somebody commented eaarlier that you probably played even worse yesterday then you did in the Catalans semi final last year and I'd go with that. I was honestly stunned with your nervy performance and as somebody who's been actually sticking up for your chances this year saying you'll win the lot at a canter, I'm now not that sure. Halifax are 8th in the Champonship, below Sheffield Eagles and Featherstone and just above Swinton. If a game like that at a half empty Macron Stadium got to your players in the way it did then the mind boggles as to what may happen at Wembley or Old Trafford.

Also you guys keep bringing us in to it. Your head and shoulders above us, I've no issue with that. If we're lucky enough to get another crack at you this year we can only hope our experience and bottle gets us closer. If Fax can do that to you then you just never know.
AS108 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1024No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:04 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
The debate wasn't about wanting to be in your position, it was about your players ability to deal with semi final and final pressure and the signs yesterday were pretty shocking. Somebody commented eaarlier that you probably played even worse yesterday then you did in the Catalans semi final last year and I'd go with that. I was honestly stunned with your nervy performance and as somebody who's been actually sticking up for your chances this year saying you'll win the lot at a canter, I'm now not that sure. Halifax are 8th in the Champonship, below Sheffield Eagles and Featherstone and just above Swinton. If a game like that at a half empty Macron Stadium got to your players in the way it did then the mind boggles as to what may happen at Wembley or Old Trafford.

Also you guys keep bringing us in to it. Your head and shoulders above us, I've no issue with that. If we're lucky enough to get another crack at you this year we can only hope our experience and bottle gets us closer. If Fax can do that to you then you just never know.

We won by 24 points and didn’t concede a try. I can only assume at this point you’re taking the p*ss, it was a very, very easy win. Who cares if we didn’t play well, we won at a canter. Of course there’s going to be some mental fragility when we’ve lost 6 semi finals in a row and this one was seen as a foregone conclusion. Now we’ve won one a massive weight will be lifted and we get to play the ultimate final bottlers in Warrington. Keep telling yourself the signs were shocking, they really weren’t.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5212No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 24 200618 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 12:264th Apr 24 21:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:12 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:

Okay, so I watched the same game as everyone else did yesterday, but I’m starting to think I didn’t - so bare with me.

What about that performance actually came across as nervy? There wasn’t a moment where we even looked like conceding let alone losing that game. We controlled every aspect of the game, Halifax barely made 30 metres a set and did absolutely everything we needed to do.

Was it that we didn’t score wonderful free flowing tries? The game before surely proved it wasn’t the game for that? Warringtons 4 fries were 2 kicks and 2 Hull mistakes. Was it we didn’t win by 40? We were 2 knock ons over the line, and a baffling ref decision to pull Naiqama back away from that. We were disjointed at times but most teams do after a week off. Rain and a championship level speed of ruck meant it was never going to be particularly high scoring, and Halifax’s entire season was played in that first half. We stretched them, grinded them down, and got a couple of late tries to round things off. We played an almost identical game away at Warrington a month or so back.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5204
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 15:4319th Apr 24 12:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:13 am  
NickyKiss wrote:

Hahaha... Using a single missing player as an excuse against a championship side then quoting how you've beaten us easily when we've had half the side missing! Your inability to put a coherent argument together goes from strength to strength, I see.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5204
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 15:4319th Apr 24 12:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why do Saints look unbeatable? : Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 am  
Magic Superbeetle wrote:
Okay, so I watched the same game as everyone else did yesterday, but I’m starting to think I didn’t - so bare with me.

What about that performance actually came across as nervy? There wasn’t a moment where we even looked like conceding let alone losing that game. We controlled every aspect of the game, Halifax barely made 30 metres a set and did absolutely everything we needed to do.

Was it that we didn’t score wonderful free flowing tries? The game before surely proved it wasn’t the game for that? Warringtons 4 fries were 2 kicks and 2 Hull mistakes. Was it we didn’t win by 40? We were 2 knock ons over the line, and a baffling ref decision to pull Naiqama back away from that. We were disjointed at times but most teams do after a week off. Rain and a championship level speed of ruck meant it was never going to be particularly high scoring, and Halifax’s entire season was played in that first half. We stretched them, grinded them down, and got a couple of late tries to round things off. We played an almost identical game away at Warrington a month or so back.

Mate, with all due respect, just read that back. You weren't playing Melbourne Storm! You were playing a championship side and not a particularly good one at that. Their "best" players (and I use the term loosely) where Scott Grix who was hardly a superstar even in his prime, let alone several years past it and Mr Creosote at 6. We're not talking Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk here! Mind you, they did have a 30 year old electrician at hooker and you only had current international and 2 time Man Of Steel, James Roby so perhaps it wasn't the mismatch we all think it was. :lol:

Come on.. I get you're defending your side but we all know that was a shi-ite performance against a mid table, rag tag of championship part timers. To dress it up as anything else is utterly ridiculous. Have a word with yourself.
PreviousNext