WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What do we do with Hankinson?

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com What do we do with Hankinson?

Re: What do we do with Hankinson?
Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am
Posted by Father Ted on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 136
Rep Position: 169th / 77,824

Quiz Score: 0

This is the decision for Lam, where do Hankinson and Sarginson play when both are fully fit?
Last night Hankinson scored a try and had two assists plus seven goals from nine attempts. Hard to say but when the conversions were going over the sense of "we have a good goalkicker here" was palpable. Hanks own try was about 5 meters in from touch and he kicked it. Lockers was mid way between touch and the sticks, he kicked it. Marshall's try was a meter in from touch, he kicked it. The way he was kicking I thought early on that we were going to win it. If he gave me confidence in a win then what it must do for players a bit short on confidence can't be underestimated. I know Hudds Gaskell is a good goalkicker but I thought Hanks would get us through.
After the win at Leeds in someway thanks to Hankinson it was a far more confident performance at Hudds. Perhaps one begets the other
Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:37 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:37 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 496
Rep Position: 35th / 77,824

Hankinson has earned the right to remain in the right centre. Sarginson played well at Leeds and for half a game at Hull KR but before that, he wasn’t playing well at all.
If either leave him out or play him on the wing instead of Marshall. Not for a million quid would I move Hardaker to wing to accommodate Sarginson.
A back line of Hardaker, Burgess, Gildart, Hankinson and Sarginson has pace, skill and hard work plus two goal kickers. Personally I’d leave him out.
Last edited by Bigredwarrior on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:59 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:59 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 107th / 77,824

Coaches should pick the best team which doesn't always mean picking the best players.

See no sense in moving Sarge to the wing when he's barely played there in his career. Also see no sense in bringing him back in at right centre when Hank is playing well, is kicking well and will be growing in confidence.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 310
Rep Position: 81st / 77,824

I haven’t seen the game as I’m away currently but I have read the reports and comments on here.

I must admit, as an ardent critic of Hankinson; he is improving week on week and looking like he’s going to become a reliable, talented centre. Sarginson is just going to have to wait for an opportunity and seize it much in the same vein that Hankinson has done.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Posted by Levrier on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 165
Rep Position: 149th / 77,824

I do not want to get carried away. We have played three teams who have been struggling and we still did not look like world beaters. I would love to see Hankinson secure a place in the team but he will need to make some yards. I am not sure why he makes so few meters as he is big and reasonable quick. Have we asked him to ship the ball on or does he not go looking for it. He certainly does not carry the ball out of defence like Sarge does.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 496
Rep Position: 35th / 77,824

Levrier wrote:
I do not want to get carried away. We have played three teams who have been struggling and we still did not look like world beaters. I would love to see Hankinson secure a place in the team but he will need to make some yards. I am not sure why he makes so few meters as he is big and reasonable quick. Have we asked him to ship the ball on or does he not go looking for it. He certainly does not carry the ball out of defence like Sarge does.

I think he’s growing into the team to be honest. We’ve played 3 poor sides but Hankinson kept Konrad Hurrell in a box all night against Leeds and that takes some doing. Defensively he’s as good as I’ve seen for a long time and he look very natural on the right. Needs to keep building his performances but definitely earned the right to be selected.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Posted by KingRoss11 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:48 pm
KingRoss11 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 191
Rep Position: 130th / 77,824

I’d certainly rather have him at centre than Sarginson
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:03 am
Posted by hatty on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:03 am
hatty User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 198
Rep Position: 127th / 77,824

Levrier wrote:

We have a pack of forwards to take the ball out of defence! But to be fair to sarge he does that well, and is probably why he is a better full back than a centre.
1998,2010,2013,2016 & 2018.....I was there
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 450
Rep Position: 41st / 77,824

MadDogg wrote:
Coaches should pick the best team which doesn't always mean picking the best players.

See no sense in moving Sarge to the wing when he's barely played there in his career. Also see no sense in bringing him back in at right centre when Hank is playing well, is kicking well and will be growing in confidence.

Origin disagrees. This year alone we've seen:

Ben Hunt play 9
Jack Wrighton to centre
Tommy Turbo to centre
Morgan to centre
Jai Arrow to prop
Mmbye to interchange 9

And this is at the highest level.

I think there'a a firm argument (as bought into by SOO) that fielding better players is better. Sarge for me is better than Marshall.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 am
Posted by sergeant pepper on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 am
sergeant pepper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 82
Rep Position: 216th / 77,824

Last Son of Wigan wrote:
Origin disagrees. This year alone we've seen:

Ben Hunt play 9
Jack Wrighton to centre
Tommy Turbo to centre
Morgan to centre
Jai Arrow to prop
Mmbye to interchange 9

And this is at the highest level.

I think there'a a firm argument (as bought into by SOO) that fielding better players is better. Sarge for me is better than Marshall.

Spot on.

The first NSW try is a perfect example with Trbojevic (naturally a FB), but playing at Centre challenging for a up and under miles away from where he should have been.

Different situation, but if you put Sarge on the wing the team could be quite fluid with Sarge dropping to FB to execute 'the move' and ZH on the wing etc. It keeps teams guessing and both are good enough players to make it work too.
20 LEAGUE TITLES
19 CHALLENGE CUPS
3 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
PreviousNext