WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tautai - Drink driving.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Posted by Suzy Banyon on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Suzy Banyon User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 38
Rep Position: 259th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 pm
Posts: 2678
Location: Tamm Tanz Akademie
Grimmy wrote:
I fail to see how it's the club's fault. What are they meant to do, assign each player a minder to watch them during their personal time (job opening for Nottinghamtiger)? The players know the consequences. I'd say the club deserve some blame on the Hardaker one (signing a proven idiot), but couldn't have really foreseen it with Mullen or Tautai. I wonder if we can use this as a reason to get him off the books......probably not given that Hardaker and Mullen are still here.


Dickfingers got arrested for drink driving in Australia in 2009. The idiot has form too.
roger daly wrote:
Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan

wrencat1873 wrote:
It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.

Big lads mate wrote:
you arrogant pot prick

Tricky2309 wrote:
Look prick do one

Willzay wrote:
you cocky pie eating c*nt.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:01 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:01 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 49
Rep Position: 248th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 1996
Wigg'n wrote:
You're entirely correct in everything you say, especially on the culture of drinking for athletes, especially prevalent in Rugby players. The amount of ex-players you see getting absolutely smashed is incredible, but they've been doing it since they were in their 20s. You can go out in Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Leeds and you will see players of clubs doing or snorting god knows what.

This isn't a club issue though, it is personal/social. Clubs can go to extensive lengths of education, discipline, scheduling etc. and players will still f'up.

Look at the NRL - it's one of the best sports leagues in the world. Massive amount of funding, the clubs do everything to look after their players (especially the stars), incredibly professional with all sorts of training and education at their disposal and there were 66 high-profile scandals in just over 3 years.

Ben Barba beat up his wife. Was that NQ Cowboys fault for not teaching him to not beat up his wife or was it Barba's responsibility to behave like a human being?

When Michael Maguire was at the club (most fans would agree the toughest culture we've had in a long time?), was it the clubs' fault that Martin Gleeson turned up for training vexed?

Taulima Tautai is a 31 year old man who has played professional RL since he was 20 years old, i.e. old enough to know better and experienced enough to know that getting caught drink driving could ruin his career or life.


You're right, players are the ones who have to take ultimate responsibility. There are things you shouldn't really need to educate people on once they reach a certain age. At 31 Tautai should be well aware of how stupid it is to drink and drive.

However, I do think there are questions to be asked when it happens so frequently at one club. The club can't physically be there to stop people doing stupid things, but I do think there are steps that can be taken to limit the chances of such things happening. One of those being an alcohol ban during the season. Another would be more serious punishments for things such as this. It obviously won't work for everyone as some people will just do stupid things no matter what the deterrent, but it might just make players think a bit more, and make the club look like it takes a strong stance against what is a pretty serious offence.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 231st / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Watching Rugby League
DaveO wrote:
The only ones looking ridiculous are those who suggest IL can't sell because no one has made an offer when the club is not for sale.


I think the point people are making is that even if he does sell it doesn't mean that the new owner will pile a load of money in to sign the Aussie test squad.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
Posted by post on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 171
Rep Position: 144th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4654
Him being deported could be a blessing in disguise.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Posted by Angelus on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm
Angelus Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 231st / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 pm
Posts: 185
jonh wrote:
You couldn’t make it up could you.

Looking like he will be sacked and also deported.

Wonder if we wanted him next year he would be sacked? I doubt it.

I feel for the lad as he is a lovely bloke and it looks like he will pay a massive price for his stupidity.

Only positive is that if he is sacked the club has set a pressident and that anyone convicted of the same offence will also receive the same threatment.

It does make me wonder though, could there be grounds for him to sue the club given they have stood by others in the same position recently.


I'm wondering if his dismissal is more due to his potential deportation than the fact he was found guilty of drink driving. Can't exactly play for us if he's not allowed in the country.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm
Posted by MadDogg on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 238
Rep Position: 104th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 7202
Location: The Mighty Wigan
Don't forget its the 2nd time Tautai has been done for drink driving.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:22 pm
WARRIOR5 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 105
Rep Position: 193rd / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 330
DaveO wrote:
I have not received any offers to buy my house. That is because it is not for sale. If I put it on the market I'd probably get some. If IL decided to sell the club, you never know, someone might be interested.


I’m making assumptions but I guess your house doesn’t require £600,000 of your own money each year to break even. And if IL openly lists the club for sale on bloody right move I would dread to think of the opportunists who come looking for a cheap deal.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm
WARRIOR5 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 105
Rep Position: 193rd / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 330
DaveO wrote:
The only ones looking ridiculous are those who suggest IL can't sell because no one has made an offer when the club is not for sale.


To add to the above, I wouldn’t say I look ridiculous.

What’s ironic is that you’re categorically saying the club isn’t for sale. How do you know that? The Forty20 podcast a number of weeks ago actually said the club was for sale. Just because Lenagan hasn’t listed it on Facebook marketplace, it doesn’t mean he isn’t having conversations.

But as the other poster said, the original point was that just because someone buys the club it doesn’t mean they’ll throw the money needed at it.
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:31 pm
Posted by Egg Chasing on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:31 pm
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 231st / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Watching Rugby League
WARRIOR5 wrote:
Just because Lenagan hasn’t listed it on Facebook marketplace, it doesn’t mean he isn’t having conversations.


On Wigan Buy & Sell :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: Tautai - Drink driving.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:38 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:38 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 316
Rep Position: 76th / 77,841

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 5281
If it’s not on Facebook it’s not official. I thought that was a common fact?! :THINK:
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigredwarrior, Brick with eyes, critch67, DP_wwrlfc, Levrier, Majestic-12 [Bot], NickyKiss, Sweaty Betty's, The Whiffy Kipper, The Yellow Giraffe and 219 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,967,2301,73577,8414,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28