WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Coaching Announcement Needed Before The Next Game

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Coaching Announcement Needed Before The Next Game

Posted by Tricky Dicky on Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 am
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 86
Rep Position: 208th / 77,823

Quiz Score: 0

If Lammy has signed as our new coach this needs to be announced before our next game.

Our next 3 fixtures are Hull KR away, Leeds away and Hudds away.

It is very possible that Wigan could lose all 3 before they face Salford at home at the end of June.

Having lost our last 3, It would then be a disaster to announce our new coach after 6 successive defeats.

Winning the next 3 games could really give us a push up the table. knowing Lammy is here to stay may give the squad the boost they need going in to the next 3 crucial games.

I would be announcing this appointment in the next 7 days if its been done already.
Posted by CobraCraig on Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 am
CobraCraig Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 220
Rep Position: 112th / 77,823

Tricky Dicky wrote:
If Lammy has signed as our new coach this needs to be announced before our next game.

It is very possible that Wigan could lose all 3 before they face Salford at home at the end of June.

Having lost our last 3, It would then be a disaster to announce our new coach after 6 successive defeats.

Winning the next 3 games could really give us a push up the table. knowing Lammy is here to stay may give the squad the boost they need going in to the next 3 crucial games.

I would be announcing this appointment in the next 7 days if its been done already.

So you want us to sign Lam up because it might give the team a boost? Why can’t he do that anyway? Why give him a deal when he’s underperformed? Why not give him an incentive to get the side performing and he might get a long contract if he turns the team round?
Posted by ChrisA on Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 am
ChrisA User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 86
Rep Position: 208th / 77,823

Tricky Dicky wrote:

There's so much to sort, do you sort the coaching situation and then let them decide who stays/goes/comes in? If IL hasn't got faith in Lam then do IL and Rads decide player recruitment and the new coach has to run with what he's given?

Clearly the team now needs some new blood in key positions, are players going to sign up not knowing who their coach will be and not knowing who they will be playing with?
Posted by post on Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 170
Rep Position: 143rd / 77,823

Lam is probably the worst coach we’ve had for a very long time. Like Ian Millward, he probably has good knowledge and can talk the talk but the fact of the matter is he has failed spectacularly, even when our expectations were lower because we all know we are now in transition. He has to go.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Posted by bazdev on Wed May 29, 2019 5:45 pm
bazdev Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 29
Rep Position: 265th / 77,823

post wrote:
Lam is probably the worst coach we’ve had for a very long time. Like Ian Millward, he probably has good knowledge and can talk the talk but the fact of the matter is he has failed spectacularly, even when our expectations were lower because we all know we are now in transition. He has to go.

I wish Man Utd were as impatient as you with Alex Ferguson
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 734
Rep Position: 13th / 77,823

I’ve always said I’d judge Lam 15-20 games in and we’re getting to that point now. I just want to see signs things can get better and that we can play the brand of rugby he talks about but it’s tough to imagine just now. I thought we saw some signs of it around the Catalans home game and then at the start of Cas away but we then hit a brick wall with some injury disruption and it’s back to square one.

I’m not giving up on Lam but if he is to stay then our recruitment needs to be spot on and tailored to his needs. We need big forwards, a more threatening hooker and some creative influences in the halves.
Posted by post on Wed May 29, 2019 6:46 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

bazdev wrote:
I wish Man Utd were as impatient as you with Alex Ferguson

Lam has won 6 from 18, that’s a 33% win rate, that’s poor and not worthy of giving him the job. If we lose 1 out of the next 3 then he’s got to go.

People seem like gluttons for punishment, we are garbage and people are saying give him a 3 year deal to sort things out. No sorry, great player in his day, maybe a great halves coach or assistant coach but isn’t right for us as head coach at this moment in time.

Millward was sacked after only winning 2 from 11.

Lams record was - won 2 from 11 also, were people asking for Millward to be given time? He had a better track record too.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Posted by Itchy Arsenal on Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm
Itchy Arsenal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 184th / 77,823

NickyKiss wrote:
I’ve always said I’d judge Lam 15-20 games in and we’re getting to that point now. I just want to see signs things can get better and that we can play the brand of rugby he talks about but it’s tough to imagine just now. I thought we saw some signs of it around the Catalans home game and then at the start of Cas away but we then hit a brick wall with some injury disruption and it’s back to square one.

I’m not giving up on Lam but if he is to stay then our recruitment needs to be spot on and tailored to his needs. We need big forwards, a more threatening hooker and some creative influences in the halves.

I want Lam to succeed but I've seen nothing so far where he has improved the team or a single aspect of any player in the team. If we lose the next 4 games which for me is highly probable then we are really in the shoite.
Only the players and IL plus KR probably only know if lam is any good. I just hope that the the likes of SOL and Tommy are being asked for their opinion before IL decides if Lam gets an extended contract.
If I'm honest what turned me against Lam is his interviews after games where losses are always attributed to everybody except Lam.
Injuries cannot be blamed for the HKR game as we will be 2 wingers down and maybe a second rower which at this time of the season is remarkably light. I'm not bothered about performance in this game I just want and we need a win let's see how the team perform forLam and their self respect. Lose this game and it really is hey lads hey unfortunately, at this point I can't see a win but will love to be proven wrong.
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed May 29, 2019 7:15 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 734
Rep Position: 13th / 77,823

Injuries have disrupted us at points but compared to some recent years he’s not had it too bad. We’ve won games with far weaker sides under Wane but I get that when you’re trying to implement a new way of playing (little evidence what that way is yet) you’d like a settled side and he’s not had that.

I’m not sold either way on Lam staying but my stance would be that if he does get the job then he needs to be backed. We won’t develop a more attacking style of rugby by letting the likes of Williams go on the back of Tomkins, Bateman etc going and replacing them with bargain basement chance signings.
Posted by post on Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Id have loved him to have succeeded and up until recently I wanted to give him more time, times up and it’s decision time.
Next