WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan Warriors & Adrian Lam

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Wigan Warriors & Adrian Lam

Re: Wigan Warriors & Adrian Lam
Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:39 am
Posted by ShortArse on Sun May 26, 2019 11:39 am
ShortArse User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 265th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 20

Brick with eyes wrote:
We are now reaping what we sow.

The kids coming through are just products of ‘The Shaun Wane Wrestling Academy’ No flair , no zip , no skills , but can wrestle ! You can’t blame Adrian Lam for the hand he’s been dealt

Ah yes. The players that won every single trophy on offer. CC, SL, WCC.
Players who were winners by performing the basics to a high level of consistency and excellence.

Under Lam, regardless of whether you believe their attacking skillsets are adequate, the basics (passing, catching, tackling) have gone backwards.

That is the the sign of a bad coach.

He has made good players look average and average players bad.
Ah, good taste!
What a dreadful thing!
Taste is the enemy of creativeness.

Pablo Picasso
Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1847
Rep Position: 1st / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

Father Ted wrote:
Aren't Wire utterly fantastic?
They've won everything forever. Though they do make finals, trouble is they keep losing them.
To suggest IL/Rads have a worse record than Wire is quite something!
Can IL and Rads improve, of course. They are watching the same games we are and probably coming to the same conclusions. They know where we need to strengthen and will do it.

Recently we've lost a few as we rebuild, but you've got to be in them to lose them.
I'm happy to attend finals and lose some. Nothing worse than getting beaten in semifinals...more of a Saints thing.
once a wire always a wire
Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 am
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 am
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1847
Rep Position: 1st / 77,889

I think Wigan will be OK.
The club desperately needs this 3 week break. That is what will turn your season around. I'm sure.
once a wire always a wire
Post Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am
Posted by Grimmy on Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 337
Rep Position: 68th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 248

muttywhitedog wrote:
I would add Manfredi to that list too. Harsh maybe, but his injury record means we are always short in his position, and paying someone not to play.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but to see Josh Charnley lined up against Hankinson yesterday made me realise what a poor decision it was not to take him back.

When Charnley was available, we could hardly have anticipated that we would end up having Manfredi, Davies and Marshall all out injured at the same time. That's just terrible luck. Charnley would have been a luxury we can't afford under the cap when we already have the players I mentioned plus Burgess.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Sun May 26, 2019 6:05 pm
Posted by Ashton Bears on Sun May 26, 2019 6:05 pm
Ashton Bears User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 98
Rep Position: 202nd / 77,889

WARRIOR5 wrote:
And yet still haven’t won the league in the majority of their fans lifetimes. Easy to start crying on forums when things aren’t going our way and forget the success the regime you’re criticising has brought us.

As for Gelling he has moments of brilliance and moments of sheer stupidity. And most fans on here moan when we re-sign players. (Then again when we don’t).

We’re also rumoured to be getting a very good Aussie halfback next year too. So put your toys back in the pram!

No toys to through out the window and not crying just stating facts what other clubs are doing, if we had 17 playing from the academy I would still watch them home and away,
Post Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 am
Posted by Tricky Dicky on Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 am
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 91
Rep Position: 209th / 77,889

We need an injection of at least 4 new players, inclyuding 2 marquee level signings.

I think we need a right centre, a half, a hooker and a big aggressive prop who can play long minutes.
Post Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 am
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 am
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 509
Rep Position: 34th / 77,889

Tricky Dicky wrote:
We need an injection of at least 4 new players, inclyuding 2 marquee level signings.

I think we need a right centre, a half, a hooker and a big aggressive prop who can play long minutes.

I think we need much more if I’m honest. I’m taking it for granted that Williams has gone so for next season I’d say we need to prioritise a 6, 7, 9 and 3 props and we’re gonna have to make use of the marquee rules if we’re hoping to challenge for honours. After that we need a naturally right sided second row and centre but I can’t see how we could bring in 8 players. Huge overhaul required though.
Post Tue May 28, 2019 9:16 am
Posted by Grimmy on Tue May 28, 2019 9:16 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 337
Rep Position: 68th / 77,889

Quiz Score: 248

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I think we need much more if I’m honest. I’m taking it for granted that Williams has gone so for next season I’d say we need to prioritise a 6, 7, 9 and 3 props and we’re gonna have to make use of the marquee rules if we’re hoping to challenge for honours. After that we need a naturally right sided second row and centre but I can’t see how we could bring in 8 players. Huge overhaul required though.

Like you say, we aren't getting eight players (I also think that's a bad idea to be honest, as we would lose any consistency with the teams that won trophies). I'd settle for a marquee half to replace Williams and two props to replace Clubb and Lockers, with Flower moving to loose to add size to the pack and give us some leadership/experience. All that is assuming we keep Gildart, which I imagine must be a challenge.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 am
Posted by post on Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 174
Rep Position: 140th / 77,889

If we keep Sarginson, Leuluai goes round again and we lose Williams, Escare, Clubb, Tautai and Lockers then we at least 2 half backs and 2 props as a bare minimum.

Ideally we would need 3 props, 2 halves and a second rower.

Next year our team could look like this:

1 - Hardaker
2 - Manfredi
3 - Sarginson
4 - Gildart
5 - Burgess
6 - Atkin
7 - Hastings
8 - PROP
9 - Leuluai
10 - Bullock
11 - Greenwood
12 - Farrell
13 - Flower

14 - Clarke (Prop)
15 - King (Hooker)
16 - PROP
17 - Isa

With the rumoured signings, we still need another 2 props with those props needing to be ones that regularly make 2 drives a set, 150m a game, 35 tackles plus and long minutes.

I’d look to swap Craig Hall for Hankinson, Hall is a free agent at the end of the season and might be good back up. I’d also look at that Will Lovell from London Broncos, big right sided second rower, could be a good project signing.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Post Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 440
Rep Position: 44th / 77,889

post wrote:
If we keep Sarginson, Leuluai goes round again and we lose Williams, Escare, Clubb, Tautai and Lockers then we at least 2 half backs and 2 props as a bare minimum.

Ideally we would need 3 props, 2 halves and a second rower.

Next year our team could look like this:

1 - Hardaker
2 - Manfredi
3 - Sarginson
4 - Gildart
5 - Burgess
6 - Atkin
7 - Hastings
8 - PROP
9 - Leuluai
10 - Bullock
11 - Greenwood
12 - Farrell
13 - Flower

14 - Clarke (Prop)
15 - King (Hooker)
16 - PROP
17 - Isa

With the rumoured signings, we still need another 2 props with those props needing to be ones that regularly make 2 drives a set, 150m a game, 35 tackles plus and long minutes.

I’d look to swap Craig Hall for Hankinson, Hall is a free agent at the end of the season and might be good back up. I’d also look at that Will Lovell from London Broncos, big right sided second rower, could be a good project signing.

King?
I like Craig Hall, but would he be willing to be just a squad player?
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
PreviousNext