WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - THE WANEY HATERS
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am
Posted by post on Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 143rd / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4706
Lam doesn’t have the experience or the players to turn this season around, the only thing left to play for is the Challenge Cup and the only way we would do well in that is if we got a new coach ASAP and signed a couple of forwards.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am
Posted by Trainman on Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am
Trainman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 170
Rep Position: 151st / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 1155
The reality is that we are not going to sign any new players mid season unless someone does something stupid a al Joel.

Lam was always on a hiding to nothing this year. He has a remit to change to a more expansive style of play but doesn’t have the playing personnel to do so.

I don’t think anyone would disagree we need investment in the pack, until we do so then the only style of play that will suit us is the Shayne Wane one.

I’ve seen plenty of signs that Lam is attempting to be more expansive however we don’t have the dominant pack to implement that change properly. I hope Lam signs for a further 2 years, one he has had a chance to bring in a few players who will complement what he is trying to do then I will judge him but that won’t be this season.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am
Posted by post on Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 143rd / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4706
Trainman wrote:
The reality is that we are not going to sign any new players mid season unless someone does something stupid a al Joel.

Lam was always on a hiding to nothing this year. He has a remit to change to a more expansive style of play but doesn’t have the playing personnel to do so.

I don’t think anyone would disagree we need investment in the pack, until we do so then the only style of play that will suit us is the Shayne Wane one.

I’ve seen plenty of signs that Lam is attempting to be more expansive however we don’t have the dominant pack to implement that change properly. I hope Lam signs for a further 2 years, one he has had a chance to bring in a few players who will complement what he is trying to do then I will judge him but that won’t be this season.


Someone has done something stupid, Gabe Hamlin, so we are a prop short.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 12:33 pm
Posted by Suzy Banyon on Fri May 03, 2019 12:33 pm
Suzy Banyon User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 42
Rep Position: 269th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 pm
Posts: 2677
Location: Tamm Tanz Akademie
Bigredwarrior wrote:
We have been far better to watch in attack this season than in any season under Waney, despite the obvious injury situation. Go back to the injury ravaged seasons of 2 & 3 years ago (such as when Wakey beat us 62-0) because otherwise you’re comparing apples with oranges.
Our attack against Catalan and in the 1st half versus Cas was some of the best rugby I’ve seen from Wigan for a very long time. Defensively we’ve been poor but we have now conceded just 1 try (from a kick) in the last two games.

Lam has not had a fair crack at it yet and your ‘balloon’ comment typifies that fact. We need to judge him when we’ve at least had some consistency in the squad. If we get some consistency and the rugby is still hit & miss, then I’ll accept it might be a coaching issue.


He's had 14 games of his 29 game tenure. I reckon that's enough.
roger daly wrote:
Oh dear, I believe you would be classed as s[sic] typical Wigan fan

wrencat1873 wrote:
It's the mighty Wigan, they can do whatever they want.

Big lads mate wrote:
you arrogant pot prick

Tricky2309 wrote:
Look prick do one

Willzay wrote:
you cocky pie eating c*nt.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm
Posted by WARRIOR5 on Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm
WARRIOR5 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 107
Rep Position: 206th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm
Posts: 330
Bigredwarrior wrote:
We have been far better to watch in attack this season than in any season under Waney, despite the obvious injury situation. Go back to the injury ravaged seasons of 2 & 3 years ago (such as when Wakey beat us 62-0) because otherwise you’re comparing apples with oranges.
Our attack against Catalan and in the 1st half versus Cas was some of the best rugby I’ve seen from Wigan for a very long time. Defensively we’ve been poor but we have now conceded just 1 try (from a kick) in the last two games.

Lam has not had a fair crack at it yet and your ‘balloon’ comment typifies that fact. We need to judge him when we’ve at least had some consistency in the squad. If we get some consistency and the rugby is still hit & miss, then I’ll accept it might be a coaching issue.


I totally agree with you. That Catalan game was one of the most exciting attacking displays I’ve seen from Wigan in the last five to ten years. The first twenty minutes at Cas likewise until the injury crisis intensified.

People tend to sensationalise too much in sport and never look at the bigger picture. The same people who want Lam gone probably wanted Wane gone, probably wanted Madge gone etc. Lam hasn’t had a settled 17 nor have things been settled off the pitch either but all of that should help him in the future.

I remember on here last year everyone was saying they couldn’t see where our next win was coming from, the season was over, everyone should leave they’re all an embarrassment then come October everyone’s happy again.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm
Posted by Mash Butty on Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm
Mash Butty User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 148
Rep Position: 168th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 1323
Location: PIE IN THE SKY DISH
I bet every opposition player licks their lips at the thought of playing Wigan
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Posted by Bigredwarrior on Fri May 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Bigredwarrior Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 515
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am
Posts: 2612
post wrote:
Lam doesn’t have the experience or the players to turn this season around, the only thing left to play for is the Challenge Cup and the only way we would do well in that is if we got a new coach ASAP and signed a couple of forwards.


How much experience had Michael Maguire had before coming here?
How much experience had Justin Holbrook had before going to Saints?
How much ex had Steve Price had before going to Wire?
How much experience had Shaun Wane had before becoming head coach?

Lam has been coaching since 2005. That’s 14 years. He’s been head coach of PNG national side and is still an assistant coach to the Australia first team. His previous role was assistant coach at the current NRL champions and I’d say he’s served his apprenticeship and is due a fair shot as a head coach. The problem he’s got is the the majority of Wigan fans are not patient enough to give him a fair shot.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 2:21 pm
Posted by post on Fri May 03, 2019 2:21 pm
post User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 181
Rep Position: 143rd / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 4706
Bigredwarrior wrote:
How much experience had Michael Maguire had before coming here?
How much experience had Justin Holbrook had before going to Saints?
How much ex had Steve Price had before going to Wire?
How much experience had Shaun Wane had before becoming head coach?

Lam has been coaching since 2005. That’s 14 years. He’s been head coach of PNG national side and is still an assistant coach to the Australia first team. His previous role was assistant coach at the current NRL champions and I’d say he’s served his apprenticeship and is due a fair shot as a head coach. The problem he’s got is the the majority of Wigan fans are not patient enough to give him a fair shot.


He’s had 14 games, for me the problems run deeper than just playing a bit crap and losing a few games. Enough time has passed now to make a decision.

You quote Magiure, Holbrook and Price as examples of how inexperienced assistants go on to head coaches roles and achieve good starts and in doing so gave my argument creedence. All those did well, Lam isn’t, that’s a fact and that defeats your own argument.

Years in a job does mean experience but doesn’t mean it’s good experience or valuable experience. I could go and be assistant coach for Australia and put that on my CV and think I’m fantastic but it’s different when it’s your name in the coach’s job and it all rests on you, that’s the true test of a coaches ability, not whether he was a good assistant or even good player and judging him on that he’s failing.

Hardaker looks to be trying but not gelling with the team, is he an outcast? Same can be said with Bullock. Are there factions in the squad? If there are they need addressing by the coach.

We look like a team that is poorly coached, we lack any sort of organisation and direction on the field. What targets is he setting the players? How is he getting the players up for games? Is he coming up with great game plans but the players are incapable or unwilling to carry out the game plan? If so then he needs to deal with it. I understand his hands may be tied on some things and he’s only signed a 1 year deal and that won’t give him the respect a coach may get if they were in the job permanently, this is and always has been a job interview or trial to put his coaching in the shop window and he’s failing on the basics. Sorry but he needs to go.
Future Wigan/Youngish player Wishlist - 1 - Jack Walker 2 - Nick Cotric 3 - TBC 4 - Oliver Gildart 5 - Joe Burgess 6 - George Williams 7 - Adam Reynolds 8 - Jordan McLean 9 - Jayden Brailey 10 - Jarrod Wallace 11 - Jack Williams 12 - Mike McMeekin 13 - Cameron Murray 14 - Christian Welch 15 - Danny Walker
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 3:18 pm
Posted by Egg Chasing on Fri May 03, 2019 3:18 pm
Egg Chasing Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 245th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 255
Location: Watching Rugby League
post wrote:
He’s had 14 games, for me the problems run deeper than just playing a bit crap and losing a few games. Enough time has passed now to make a decision.

You quote Magiure, Holbrook and Price as examples of how inexperienced assistants go on to head coaches roles and achieve good starts and in doing so gave my argument creedence. All those did well, Lam isn’t, that’s a fact and that defeats your own argument.

Years in a job does mean experience but doesn’t mean it’s good experience or valuable experience. I could go and be assistant coach for Australia and put that on my CV and think I’m fantastic but it’s different when it’s your name in the coach’s job and it all rests on you, that’s the true test of a coaches ability, not whether he was a good assistant or even good player and judging him on that he’s failing.

Hardaker looks to be trying but not gelling with the team, is he an outcast? Same can be said with Bullock. Are there factions in the squad? If there are they need addressing by the coach.

We look like a team that is poorly coached, we lack any sort of organisation and direction on the field. What targets is he setting the players? How is he getting the players up for games? Is he coming up with great game plans but the players are incapable or unwilling to carry out the game plan? If so then he needs to deal with it. I understand his hands may be tied on some things and he’s only signed a 1 year deal and that won’t give him the respect a coach may get if they were in the job permanently, this is and always has been a job interview or trial to put his coaching in the shop window and he’s failing on the basics. Sorry but he needs to go.


How many times has he been able to pick his strongest side?
How many times has he been missing 5, 6 even 7 nailed on picks?
How many times have we finished with 17 fit players come the end of the game?

Even under Shaun Wane at this stage of the season with this sort of inexperienced team we would be struggling, see 2016 and 2017 as evidence of that.

Personally, I would give him a 3 year deal and task him with turning the ship round ala Brian Noble in 2006. Unless of course someone as successful as Noble was becomes available.
Re: THE WANEY HATERS
Post Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Posted by Pieman on Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 215
Rep Position: 121st / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm
Posts: 3086
Location: Atherton
Bigredwarrior wrote:
Correct, which is exactly my point. We had a spell where we couldn’t buy a win that year but we turned it around. I’m not saying that’ll happen again but we need to judge Lammy when he’s been able to choose a consistent squad. That is my only pointing this thread really.


weve lost the same amount of games now than we did in 2016
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: keyrox and 54 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,983,91892277,9044,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 13th Feb 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
TORONTO
Sun 23rd Feb 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 8th Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Apr 14:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 25th Apr 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 3rd May 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 11th Jun 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sat 20th Jun 17:00
SL
HULL FC
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28