Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 am
Posted by rubber duckie on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:46 am
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1847
Rep Position: 1st / 77,889

Quiz Score: 0

I think Wire always had the measure hence the drop goal... but it looked a huge step up from Wigan this season. That intensity maintained will keep Wigan up but I think top 5 is gone.
once a wire always a wire
Re: Penalties and offloads
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 am
Posted by moto748 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 am
moto748 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 234
Rep Position: 104th / 77,889

I'm finding it hard to be as positive as some, but I guess that's got a lot to do with the base you start from. More energy, yes, and some signs of a better kicking game from Sammut, although one very good tackle didn't make up for several other defensive errors. But my worry is, at no point did I feel like Wigan were going to win that game. Defensively weaker, seemingly unable to prevent offloads despite plenty in the tackle. If this was apparently a step up, we need to step up further if we want to beat Salford.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 am
Posted by Sweaty Betty's on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 am
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 119
Rep Position: 183rd / 77,889

moto748 wrote:
I'm finding it hard to be as positive as some, but I guess that's got a lot to do with the base you start from. More energy, yes, and some signs of a better kicking game from Sammut, although one very good tackle didn't make up for several other defensive errors. But my worry is, at no point did I feel like Wigan were going to win that game. Defensively weaker, seemingly unable to prevent offloads despite plenty in the tackle. If this was apparently a step up, we need to step up further if we want to beat Salford.

I would agree with your summary. The forwards need to do their job. Shorrocks in my view deserves a run in the team, he is a very talented guy who has been unlucky with injuries. What I cant understand is Lam's defensive strategy, the Aussies don't defend like we do, this can be evidenced by watching the first two NRL games this year.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 am
Posted by warrior1872 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:24 am
warrior1872 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 68
Rep Position: 231st / 77,889

Bigredwarrior wrote:
I’m not sure we watched the same game.

He was made to look rubbish again tonight by the opposition halves he couldn't even get the better of a back row forward against London
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am
Posted by Pieman on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 215
Rep Position: 116th / 77,889

we look unfitter than years gone by and not as strong, losing a lot of collision.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 am
Posted by Cherry_Warrior on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 am
Cherry_Warrior Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 36
Rep Position: 263rd / 77,889

We deserved and got nothing. In reality, Warrington could and probably should have been out of sight at half time. They played well for 80 mins whereas be played well for about 8 mins. I don't care how well they have trained, we haven't had an 80 minute performance from them yet all season. I don't care if there is a new coach or not and they are trying to adapt to what he wants. At some point personal pride must creep in and players need to stand up and say to themselves @='we aren't doing enough or trying hard enough' Isa's sin bin was a joke but i thought Bullock should have had 10 mins for the high shot. It was high with a run up. Lockers not so much, it was just a run of the mill high shot, he reached for the player rather than charged in, happens in every game to teams. Westwood is probably the biggest bully i have ever sen on a rugby field. Always goes for the little man. I would suggest he is a big soft melt who is afraid to take a big man on because he knows he would get floored. Fanny.

Hardaker was superb for a team that was so bad and i thought Blake Austin showed glimpses of elite class. His movement alone is enough to worry the defenders, that is before he starts throwing passes and dummies. He is going to get better too. Warrington fell apart when he went off and that is when we scored our tries. Food for thought for Warrington there. Are they really as good as they think? Neutralise that threat and they are there for the taking. Just not by us :D
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 am
Posted by billys pineapple on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 am
billys pineapple Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 23
Rep Position: 276th / 77,889

Cherry_Warrior wrote:
We deserved and got nothing. In reality, Warrington could and probably should have been out of sight at half time. They played well for 80 mins whereas be played well for about 8 mins. I don't care how well they have trained, we haven't had an 80 minute performance from them yet all season. I don't care if there is a new coach or not and they are trying to adapt to what he wants. At some point personal pride must creep in and players need to stand up and say to themselves @='we aren't doing enough or trying hard enough' Isa's sin bin was a joke but i thought Bullock should have had 10 mins for the high shot. It was high with a run up. Lockers not so much, it was just a run of the mill high shot, he reached for the player rather than charged in, happens in every game to teams. Westwood is probably the biggest bully i have ever sen on a rugby field. Always goes for the little man. I would suggest he is a big soft melt who is afraid to take a big man on because he knows he would get floored. Fanny.

Hardaker was superb for a team that was so bad and i thought Blake Austin showed glimpses of elite class. His movement alone is enough to worry the defenders, that is before he starts throwing passes and dummies. He is going to get better too. Warrington fell apart when he went off and that is when we scored our tries. Food for thought for Warrington there. Are they really as good as they think? Neutralise that threat and they are there for the taking. Just not by us :D

I agree with everything you have said, although sport is a strange thing, but for Morgans absolute howler, it could have been 12 - 12 after Isa scored and momentum with Wigan.
The main difference between the 2 sides was the hugely one sided ridiculous penalty count in their favour which kept us on the back foot all game, and continually having to start our sets deep in our own half, and our total inability to both prevent the opposition offloading at least twice in every set, and our equal inability to offload and support the man with the ball.
In truth Wire should have buried us last night under an embarrasing scoreline, the fact that they didn't will once again be their undoing this year, and the cleaner of their trophy cupboard will once again have the easiest job in town for another 12 months.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 764
Rep Position: 14th / 77,889

Pieman wrote:
we look unfitter than years gone by and not as strong, losing a lot of collision.

To me that’s all about enthusiasm and energy in the sense of being switched on rather then fitness. I remember commenting last season when things weren’t going well about how our contact wasn’t good enough and how we were dropping off tackles and couldn’t cope with bigger forwards but when the team found its confidence and switched on for that final run in, the players were defending for their lives.

I’d really worry if we were blowing at the end of games but we’ve finished games ok. It’s the starts and some bits in between where we’re struggling IMO. A settled team wouldn’t go amiss either.
Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am
Posted by Pieman on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am
Pieman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 215
Rep Position: 116th / 77,889

NickyKiss wrote:
To me that’s all about enthusiasm and energy in the sense of being switched on rather then fitness. I remember commenting last season when things weren’t going well about how our contact wasn’t good enough and how we were dropping off tackles and couldn’t cope with bigger forwards but when the team found its confidence and switched on for that final run in, the players were defending for their lives.

I’d really worry if we were blowing at the end of games but we’ve finished games ok. It’s the starts and some bits in between where we’re struggling IMO. A settled team wouldn’t go amiss either.

maybe your right, just saw a lot of walking yesterday after 50 minutes, and the penalties for not square on lying in the ruck came from losing collision
PreviousNext